The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2006, 04:28 PM   #1
makar15

mak90 vs. ak47

I am looking at buying an ak47 but my dad has a mak90. I was wondering if there is a real difference in the guns of if I should just stay with the mak90.
Old February 6, 2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Trapp

MAK 90 = Modified (modernized) AK model 90.......It's chinese
AK-47 = Select fire battle rifle (avtomat Kalishnakov Model of 1947)

AKM= Modified/Modernized AK style semi auto rifle.......

Yes, I know Semantics. Anyway, personal opinion is that the MAK 90 is a higher quality cheaper AKM.

Arsenal AKMs are considered the best, But they are a lot more $$. The Romanians are the cheapest most available right now. They are not that bad of a weapon.
Old February 6, 2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Destructo6

There are some differences.

Stamped steel MAK-90s have a spring-loaded firing pin and double-hook triggers (like milled AKs). The triggers seem to be a bit better than your average Euro-AK and the spring-loaded firing pin should prevent any chance of a slam fire. Those two are the up sides to the MAK.

The downsides are that they are not the same dimensions as the widely-available European parts. The handguards and buttstock to receiver matings are just enough different that you'll have to modify stock sets for the MAK. This I know from firsthand experience. From secondhand knowledge, the barrels are also of different dimensions.

Finally, some MAK-90s have an odd cut at the lower-rear to fit the thumbhole stock that was shipped with them. It makes putting a standard style stock on them look more than a little funny and could make it wobble a bit.

Keep all of them clean.
Old February 6, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4
kirkcdl

The Mak90's also do not have the scope rail,and the majority(not all) of the other AK variants have it.I'm old,I prefer a scoped rifle,with the exception of my Mosin Nagant 91/30...
Old February 8, 2006, 02:22 AM   #5
radom

Just get the scope rail and rivet kit and put the scope mount on the MAK. The reasion the euro stock kits need the fit work to fit is the MAK uses a RPK type receiver so the sheet steel is a lot thicker thus the stock needs a bit of thinning to fit the rear trunion hole.
Old February 8, 2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Puppy

MAK90's are probably the most underrated of all of the AK-clones.

If I were going to buy another AK-clone, I would buy another MAK90 without hesitation.

As far as mounting a rail?

I think the best option is the Ultimak gas tube mount, sure they are a bit pricey but I dont mind spending a little more for quality.