The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 31, 2006, 07:42 PM   #1
teejhot.40cal

Defense ammunition

What does everyone prefer for a short barreled gun, 40 cal, self defense round?
Old January 31, 2006, 09:33 PM   #2
jrklaus

In general, I prefer Federal Premium Personal Defense 135-grain Hydra-Shoks, but be certain to try the others (Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, Winchester SXT, Hornady XTP, etc.) to see what you and your firearm prefer.

Good luck, and good shooting!!
Old February 1, 2006, 12:57 AM   #3
#18indycolts

i use 165g. federal shoks in my walther p99 .40
Old February 1, 2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Optical Serenity

I carry Winchester Ranger SXT, and if you cannot get your hands on the Ranger SXT series, get the SXT personal defense series.

If that is not available, I go to the second best IMO, and get Gold Dots.
Old February 1, 2006, 01:26 AM   #5
GlocksRfun

I don't have a .40, but I'm a big fan of the magsafe prefragmented bullets.. Glaser makes safety slugs also, both prefragmented.. Will break up farely quick after hitting a couple layers of drywall (they claim) The balistics gel tests are impressive.. made to penetrate 8-15 inches or something. I'm sure u'll go to jail if u use em for ccw purposes, but nothing better for home defense. It's a lighter bullet so it's traveling much faster than normal bullets of that caliber.
Old February 1, 2006, 01:33 AM   #6
Nnobby45

DPX, PowerBall

CorBon DPX has shown, in testing, that it always penetrates deep and never fails to expand. Through all types of clothing. Even in .38 Cal., it punches through car bodies.

I know that Evan Marshal has published some books that some don't agree with, but when a man who wrote three books on Stopping Power, and who tested many hundreds of rounds, says he now carries DPX in every caliber he can get it in (as a result of his own tests), then make your own call.

I carry it in my .40 P229. PowerBall is also an excellent load with a polymer ball that fills the cavity and makes for reliable feeding and, once again, very reliable expansion through all types of clothing. Not for punching through autos, however.
Old February 1, 2006, 01:59 AM   #7
Balloo

In my Glock22 I use 155gr Federal Hydra-Shok.Sometimes I switch it out with Speer Gold Dot 155gr.Both are awesome rounds.
Old February 1, 2006, 05:15 AM   #8
Bud Helms
Staff

Quote:
Even in .38 Cal., it punches through car bodies.
Well, they punch through sheet metal anyway.
Old February 1, 2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Glock35JHP

Remington 155gr JHP.

HK USP.40
Sig P239.357Sig
Mossberg 500 Cruiser
Rock River Arms Standard A2
Old February 1, 2006, 01:05 PM   #10
Bobarino

i like light and fast so i use Cor-Bon 135 grainers. you really can't go wrong with any of the premium brand-name JHP's nowadays.

Bobby
Old February 1, 2006, 02:58 PM   #11
BELTFEEDISBEST

As a rule of thumb I carry Cor-bon in my Glock 23, or Cor-bon in my Springfield G.I. .45 1911. Or I would call my local sheriff , police cheif, or state police and ask them. I live in a ccw state by the way. If your carrying what the LEO are it just cuts down on one more potential problem should you need to defend yourself. Oh, and pratice does not make perfect it just makes more pratice. (cause nobody is perfect)
Old February 4, 2006, 12:54 AM   #12
RioShooter

Why Will MagSafe Use Send Me to Jail

GlocksRfun wrote:

MagSafe use for CCW:
Quote:
I'm sure u'll go to jail if u use em for ccw purposes
Is over-penetration with a FMJ, with the possibility of hitting innocent by-standers, preferable to limited penetration by a MagSafe bullet?