The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Which Scope?
Eotech 550 25 27.78%
Leupold CQ/T 12 13.33%
Aimpoint M2 / M3 22 24.44%
Other 16 17.78%
None: Iron sights are all you need 15 16.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28, 2006, 10:28 PM   #1
DigitalShooter2

M1A Socom II: Scope Recommendations?

I'm thinking about optics for a Socom II. So far, I'm considering the Eotech 550, Leupold CQ/T or Aimpoint M3. The iron sights are excellent but if you were going to add a scope, which would you choose and why?
Old January 29, 2006, 02:15 AM   #2
ccwolff

Eotech best unobstructed field of view.

by saying scope do you mean magnifaction?

If so then the Leupold is what you want, not sure about the eye relief on an m1a though?
Old January 29, 2006, 07:08 AM   #3
AK103K

I have an Aimpoint ML2 on my SOCOM. Its on a ARMS lever mount which is just a tad high, but its still very natural to shoot with.

I was never a fan of the "heads up" type sights, the couple I had sat way to high for me, making them unnatural to shoot with and I was always looking for the dot. With the Aimpoints, and tube type dots, I shoulder the rifle and the dot is right on what I am looking at.

I'm just the opposite of ccwolff, I find the Eotech to be more of an obstruction than the Aimpoints. With both eyes open, all I see is the dot, I dont even notice the sights body. I dont feel like I'm looking through a tube either.

One other advantage with the Aimpoints I've found is, I can close the front cover and the sight still works as long as you shoot with both eyes open, ala the old Trijicon OEG's. If you close the cover you can accomplish a couple of things. One, it works as a kill flash, something that drove me crazy trying to shoot with, and if your moving from light to dark and back to light places, like in and out of buildings, you can leave the dot at one setting and the dot doesnt wash out or get to bright as the lighting changes.

I've also had Scout scopes, both Burris and Leupold, on my rifle on ARMS lever rings. I still have the Leupold set up for it, but rarely use it. The dot sights are the way to go for this rifle. The Burris Scout is OK, but the power is a litter heavier than the Leupolds, and you notice it right away, at least I did. You can also get away with a pistol scope. I have a cheapie BSA 2x pistol scope I was trying at first to see if I liked it, and it worked fine. May be a cheaper way to decide if you want to go that route. Mine was a freebie for ordering something else, so they can be really cheap.
Old January 29, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4
DigitalShooter2

My understanding is the Eotech allows for faster target aquisition with a wider field of view but offers no magnification. This seems like the obvious choice for very close quarters but I want something useful out to 200+ meters. Otherwise, this seems like the least expensive system.

The Aimpoint has an excellent reputation among its followers but seems slightly less practical in very close quarters and is more expensive. It can be magnified but that's cost prohibitive.

The Leupold CQ/T is even more expensive but offers up to 3x magnification which could come in handy if I want to test the practical range of this rifle.
Leupold also offers excellent glass which is important to me. I suppose I should look at Nikon glass, too since I'm a walking advertisement for them off the range.
Old January 29, 2006, 02:50 PM   #5
ethernectar

Putting an Eotech on mine.

Did consider the Leupold as well.

My M1A NM will keep its open sights. Definitely a fun challenge to shoot 100y with open sights. Good to see improvement too.
Old January 30, 2006, 01:42 AM   #6
ccwolff

Well both the eotech and aimpoint can be magnified by way of the aimpoint 3x mag, I have not tried it, just seen it on other peoples rifles.

The eotech does sit a little higher than the aimpoint I don't mind it some do.
If you are planing on getting a scope you will need a cheek piece and if the eotech is to high you could also put a cheek piece on as well.

If you had the socom 16 I would recomend the aimpoint for the heat issue I had alone, I put on a sage ebr stock on mine and all the small issues I had with the rifle went away.The froward mount over heat, op rod hand position interferance, lack of flash light mount, were my main problems with it as it came.

The way to use the eotech is to only focous on the target and not the eotech reticle and dot. Look at the target and place the reticle on the target.
While the aimpoint if it works like my docter optic you focus on the dot and put the dot on the target.
Old January 30, 2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Dirty_Harry

The Eotech is AWESOME

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old January 30, 2006, 10:13 PM   #8
BigRob215

i tried putting my CQ/T scope (with an ARMS mount upgrade) on my SOCOM II but the scope sits too far away because the rail ends at the ejection port. Found a Stripper guide mount extender on Fulton Armory's site but it dont know if its going to be enough to mount the ARMS mount on.
Bushmaster A3/M4 5.56mm
SA M1 SOCOM II .308
HK USPf Stainless .40SW
HK P7M8 9mm
Beretta 96 Brigadier .40SW
3rd Gen Glock 31 .357Sig
Benelli Nova Tactical 12g
Gamo Shadow 1000 .177
....and a lot of debt.
Old January 31, 2006, 11:00 PM   #9
DigitalShooter2

...good intel...

I hadn't thought about eye relief vs the length of rail.
Old February 1, 2006, 08:57 PM   #10
DigitalShooter2

Whats with the Aimpoint? Anyone have experience with Aimpoint M2/M3's?

People are voting for it without explaination.
Old February 2, 2006, 07:11 AM   #11
AK103K

I have three, a M2 and a couple of ML2's. Only difference is, the M2 is NV compatible. It and the Eotech are the two you see on most guns in hard use, and I believe you see the Aimpoints more. Great sight, rugged, waterproof, and a battery life of 10,000 hours(M2/ML2) or 50,000 hours(M3).

I dont find the Aimpoint to be any slower to use than the Eotech for fast shooting. I look at what I want to shoot as I shoulder the rifle and the dot appears where I'm looking and thats where the bullet goes. I always felt like I was looking for the dot on the Eotech type sights and then had to put it on the target. The Eotech also sits to high for me, even the Aimpoint on an ARMS mount is a little to high, but its a lot better and is more natural for me to shoot with, and I still get a decent cheek weld on the stock. I'd go with a lower ring, but I like being able to pop the sight off and on with a lever mount.
Old February 2, 2006, 04:42 PM   #12
ConRich

Ak103k

What size is the dot on your Aimpoint ? and what do you feel is the maximum efective range of your sight. I am thinking about an Aimpoint for my NM M1A and would appreciate any sugestions.

Thanks,
Rich
Old February 2, 2006, 05:21 PM   #13
AK103K

Rich,
My Aimpoints have the 4 moa dot. I've only shot my SOCOM out to 150-200 yards with one, so I really cant say past that. I didnt have any troubles making good COM hits on a brown cardboard silhouette at that distance. I do have trouble trying to shoot bullseye type targets with them though and for some reason my groups are about double or more those shot on a target without an aiming point. It gets a lot worse if you have a killflash on it. I had to take mine off as they drove me crazy! For quick shooting at 100 yards and in, you really cant beat one, especially when mounted forward of the chamber. The lower you mount it the better.

Here's a pic of two 100 yard targets fired from a cross legged sitting position, the left one was the SOCOM, the right, a Krebs, AK103K in 7.62x39. Both have a ML2 on them with a forward mount.

These were 2 second(about) "snap shots" from low ready at 100(L) and 50(R) using the AK.
Old February 2, 2006, 06:42 PM   #14
Mannlicher

I have an EoTech mounted on my SOCOM. Works just fine. Its pefect for low light hog hunting

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 2, 2006, 07:19 PM   #15
ccwolff

Thats it, it's PIC time.

All are mounted as far back as possible to allow the use of the stripper clip guide to load ammo in addition to mags.

Also if you have no need for your stripper clip guide than you can install this and have more mounting options. Two piece scope base, risen aimpoint, docter, and mabey ACOG but I don,t have one of those......Yet.

I perfer the eotech for the low target obstruction but it is a little on the high side.
Old February 2, 2006, 07:54 PM   #16
AK103K

I like them forward and out of my face

Hey wolff, aint this really THE one accessory every M14/M1A owner needs?
Old February 2, 2006, 08:18 PM   #17
ccwolff

Yeah your not kidding. Before anyone gets any thing for their M1a they should get that Extended Bolt Stop/Release.
Old February 2, 2006, 10:14 PM   #18
DigitalShooter2

Thats the kind of info I'm lookin' fer...

"Before anyone gets any thing for their M1a they should get that Extended Bolt Stop/Release."

Thanks ccwolf! I like the pics too!
Old January 12, 2008, 07:37 PM   #19
J308

Two great optics are:

Horus Vision Talon (3rd optic down on page)
http://www.horusvision.com/scopes.shtml

(These new Horus Vision scopes are becoming very popluar in the US military.)

The Leupole MK4
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...-mrt-one-inch/

Last edited by J308; January 13, 2008 at 04:04 AM. Reason: found new info
Old February 3, 2008, 01:28 AM   #20
socalarmy

clueless with my ACOG

i just got my hands on a socom II and i aquired a ACOG. the rifle though does not have the extended rail and i am clueless on how to get the scope closer to my eye. i am new to the field of M1A so can someone help me out with mount options and where to purchase them
Old February 3, 2008, 01:36 AM   #21
T.A.Sharps

Leupold CQT and EOtechs are awsome sights, but i would never put a close quarters sight on a rifle firing a long range cartridge like a 308. Maybe if you will only use it at the range, or for hunting in woods.

I would get a really nice variable power scope. Leupold Mark 4 if I could afford it. A lot more long range potential.
Old February 3, 2008, 10:38 AM   #22
HorseSoldier

+1 what J308 said. If you're wanting a variable magnification scope for both CQC ranges and pushing out past 200 meters, skip the Leupold CQ/T and get the Horus Talon. Pretty much same cost (Talon is $889.00 from the manufacturer, CQ/T seems to be low $800s to the same, depending on where you find them), and a much more capable optic that basically does everything the CQ/T can do and much more.

With the CQ/T you've got a simple circle-dot style "donut-of-death" reticle (which is quite good for close quarters work). The Horus gives similar performance with its ghost ring/cross hair reticle when set on no magnification, but when you bump the magnification up for longer range you get a reticle that includes 4-16 mil lead lines for moving targets and a gridded mil-dot "Christmas tree" reticle that allows pretty sophisticated and precise compensating for both bullet drop and windage just using the reticle.
Old February 3, 2008, 11:27 AM   #23
SR420

EOTech

I continue to try fixed power and variable magnification optics, but prefer zero magnification optics for cqb ranges out to 400 or 500 yards.
I love the dual reticle on EOTechs big screen. The 1 moa center dot enables very precise shot placement and the big circle of death is super fast.

Old June 27, 2009, 10:52 AM   #24
PDXGS

Agreed on the Horus- I shot one and sighted through several Horus equipped rifles yesterday and was very impressed by the reticle, performance and price of the Horus products.
Clay pidgeon at 200 yards on the second shot on a rifle I had never shot before. The first shot likely penetrated the clay without shattering it....(that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
Old March 28, 2011, 05:46 PM   #25
hooksz86

optics for Socom ii

I just bought a Socom ii and did all the same looking around as you are doing now. I found what i think is going to work very well. You have to call leupold 1-800-538-7653, it is special order only or custom shop. but anyway the scope is the leupold scout. You dont need to put extended rail, dont have to take off any sights to mount. after talking to leupold tech, you can mount it at back of rail and let it hang over bolt/reseiver about 3 1/2 in and that give you perfect eye relief. It has a window of eye relief of 7 to 10 inch. I think the magnification is perfict, it is 1.5-4X28mm, and you can get a regular duplex or a fine duplex redical. the fine only covers .3 of an inch at 100 yrds. I got the fine duplex. So anyway, i know theres alot of choices out there but i think this is the best way to go. The cqt dont have enough eye relief without rail extenson from a.r.m.s. , the aimpoint does not do you any good at all if batteries run out, not even a black dot when it does, and if you put the 3xmag behind red dot it only has a 5in eye relief. the ar-332 just would be wiered. so that kinda what was going on in my head.