The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 14, 2016, 07:50 AM   #1
dh37

Shipping muzzleloader Knight LK-93

Do I need to ship a Knight LK-93 muzzleloader to an FFL?

I'm in MA and I need to ship my dad's gun back to him in IA. (Long story.) There's actually two muzzleloaders. One is clearly an "antique firearm" according to the amended Gun Control Act. The Knight, I'm not so sure.

I'm referring to this old thread in particular:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-662695.html

There's a list of in-line muzzleloaders that aren't exempt from the provision of the GCA, and while the Knight isn't on it, I don't know enough to be reasonably sure that it's an "antique".

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: any conclusions I draw from this thread are my own only; I'm aware that nothing posted here constitutes legal advice, blah blah blah.
Old August 14, 2016, 01:34 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

I'm not sure either, but BP firearms aren't considered to be firearms by your Feds. I can have a flinter shipped to me here with no fuss from anybody. MA and IA might have other ideas though.
Mind you, there's a Knight LK-93 currently on Gunbroker seller says no FFL required. Think I'd call the local ATF guys.
Old August 14, 2016, 02:04 PM   #3
dh37

Thanks for your reply!

You can actually call the ATF and ask them questions like this?

Re BP firearms, my impression is that the key thing is whether or not they could easily be converted (or converted back to) something that fires fixed ammunition.
Old August 14, 2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Pahoo

No Sir

Quote:
Do I need to ship a Knight LK-93 muzzleloader to an FFL?
No and in fact, No-way !!! One exception, might be California with their crazy laws. .......

Now then that being said, I once encountered a seller that "Required" me to provide an FFL on my end. My usual FFL, just scratched his head as there wasn't anything he had to do except phone me that it had been received. For some unknown reason, to me, some sellers on GB list that an FFL is required. ..

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 14, 2016 at 02:11 PM.