The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 14, 2015, 09:57 AM   #1
the blur

Heart Stents

I recently had a few stents installed.

What's the consensus on shooting ?

How long did you guys wait?

My biggest rifle is 7mm-08, and light load skeet. So there's not much I can downsize.
Old March 14, 2015, 10:19 AM   #2
The Verminator

I had a stent popped in about 14 years ago.

I think they had me back to work in a week at full duty.

No big deal. Ask your doctor, but I think I was fine a week later.

Better than fine. No chest pains since. Just get into a good program of diet and exercise and live long.
Old March 14, 2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Bill Daniel

Heart stents

Ask your cardiologist!!! He/She may not be a shooter but should be smart enough to say whether the recoil would damage the work you have had done. Also if it is a drug eluding stent whether the Plavix will cause any deep tissue bruising.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 14, 2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Pahoo

Ask your doctor !!

Quote:
No big deal. Ask your doctor, but I think I was fine a week later.
Good point but sadly, many of "us" have gotten a bit paranoid about having any conversations on firearms. Whenever I run into a situation like this I ask generic questions on a similar activity and then read between the lines. ...

Fortunately my family physician is a gun enthusiast and knows I teach Hunter Safety. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old March 14, 2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Bill Daniel

Heart stents

Good point Pahoo. But if your doctor won't answer your honest question you need a different doctor.
Bill (M.D.)

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 14, 2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Pahoo

Clarity

Quote:
But if your doctor won't answer your honest question you need a different doctor.
Sorry, I did not make my point. On a previous appointment to this facility, I had an interview with a Wellness Counselor and was asked about owning and using firearms. She was not well informed about firearms and just needed to fill in a space on her report to whomever. I do share things with my family physician that makes my wife blush and not only that, as a firearm enthusiast, he can relate. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old March 14, 2015, 11:06 AM   #7
The Verminator

Yes, some doctors are so anti-gun that you begin to wonder what they might do.

As in, "A lot of men get depressed when suddenly dealing with heart disease and we get concerned when guns are owned......."

What's that new organization? "Doctors Who Hate Guns and The Crazy People Who Like Guns?"
Old March 14, 2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Bill Daniel

Heart stents

Unfortunately I have to agree

Old March 14, 2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Bill Daniel

Heart stents

I have a friend who is a cardiologist and avid hunter, I will ask his advice.
All the best,
Bill

Old March 14, 2015, 03:43 PM   #10
Bill Daniel

Heart stents

My hunting cardiologist says no reason to not shoot

Old March 14, 2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Bill Daniel

Heart stents

If you are on anti platelet medications a recoil shield would be a good idea.
Bill

Old March 14, 2015, 04:07 PM   #12
tahunua001

I think you would want to talk to a doctor. only problem is, it's not a common question that doctors are asked and few have a solid answer. I recently had lasik and asked how long I had to wait before being able to shoot, he couldn't give me a solid response... and he's one of the top 50 lasik doctors in the country practicing in the 3rd most armed county in the nation(per capita)
Old March 14, 2015, 04:48 PM   #13
Paul B.

Tahuna, I recently had catarct surgery with lens implants. I ask the doctor how long should I wait before shooting? I did say that some of what I shoot are pretty hard kicking. He said wait about a week and there should be no problem. No I only have one cut on each eye and I understand Lasik uses multiple cuts. How much difference that would make I don't know.
Paul B.
Old March 14, 2015, 05:13 PM   #14
tahunua001

the method they used on me was to cut a single flap but I also got the new procedure which doesn't use any blades and is all done with lasers. PRK, on the other hand would be a rough procedure and I probably wouldn't want to shoot for at least a month following. my doctor recommended at least few days before shooting but claimed he had never heard of a case where recoil had opened up the incisions in the eyes. it was kindof moot anyway though, it took about a week before my eyes were able to focus enough to allow me to see through sights.
Old March 14, 2015, 09:14 PM   #15
hooligan1

I have two stents, three heart attacks..I didnt ask my cardiologist that question because I didnt want or need any negative answer, the fact was I was going to shoot regardless.
I got depressed until I went back to work and never felt better when I returned to the range. I shoot 7 mm rem mag, and 30-06 regularly with zero problems...

You should be fine for recoil after cardio rehab, which should give you a handle on your future health siituation...
Old March 14, 2015, 10:50 PM   #16
NoSecondBest

I had three stents put in all at once. I was almost completely plugged in two arteries and 83% in the third. I was riding my ATV with my doctor's permission four days later. She said go ahead and shoot all you want. I had Lasik done on both eyes and was told to wait a couple of weeks to shoot my 45-70s. No problems. I just recently had cataract lens replacement and was told to wait a week. A month ago I had PRK in one of the eyes to "tweak" the vision and that was horrible (pain, redness, watering, sore, the who nine yards) and was told to wait until I could see good enough to shoot and then just go and shoot. It took about three weeks to see well enough to shoot. Unbelievable what they can do now days. I've got 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. I'm 66 and can walk all day hunting. About the Plavix and shooting........it's gonna look bad but it's not dangerous. You'll sometimes get some huge bruises. Oddly enough, sometimes you don't. Don't know why that is but sometimes you bruise worse than others. I was told not to worry about it so I don't.
Old March 16, 2015, 12:25 PM   #17
TJH3781

I have two (2) stints in a genetically small artery & my Cardiologist said no problem with shooting after six (6) months to make sure they do not re-eclude again.

A Pacemaker can be damaged by recoil, IIRC.
John Amber, the original Editor of Gun Digest, had one & an article he authored
said it could installed on the side that does not take the recoil.
Old March 16, 2015, 12:44 PM   #18
Boncrayon

Heart Stents

As in any surgery, your doctor is your ally and wants the best outcome. The incision in your upper leg is one issue, as is the wearing effect of the your medication and anesthesia. The range requires the optimum of clarity of mind. The doctor knows best!
Old March 17, 2015, 01:29 PM   #19
William T. Watts

I have two stents plus four bypasses, none of these have been a problem, normal recoup and full speed ahead. The problem if there is one is too many people shut down rather than reengage a normal life style. Obviously reduce your fat intake, exercise (I don't) but I work five days a week in my yard and stay active. Much of what has been done to me is 14 years old (bypasses) stents are about 8 years old put in about two weeks apart. I say get busy living and be smart.. William
Old March 17, 2015, 07:34 PM   #20
homesick

Blur I'm going through this stent thing right now, my doctor says light recoil is fine but wait till I'm done with rehab till I go up in recoil. Right now I shoot 223 / 22-250 / and light skeet loads 12 ga. I just picked up a 260 Rem and figure by the time I have the rifle ready I will be ready also.
The doctor also said if it bothers you STOP.
Old March 18, 2015, 10:36 AM   #21
kraigwy

I've had stints put in three different times. Several of them.

The didn't slow down my shooting at all.

When they use to go in through the leg, the kept you in ICU until there was no chance of bleeding, but once the sent you home, you could shoot.

The last time they went in thought the back of the hand so I didn't go to ICU.

No problem with stints.............blood thinner meds are different. They don't effect shooting but I did find out those Havalon knives with changeable blades is the best tool out there for checking your blood thinner meds.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 18, 2015, 09:50 PM   #22
chris in va

Had one put in ten years ago.

Can't comment on the rifle useage other than the greater chance of bruising. The VA put me on the stuff for a year, only to find out I was supposed to cut it off after six months.
Old March 22, 2015, 10:33 PM   #23
jason.jardine72

Shoot shoot but for heaven sakes use a small caliber please for a month I don't think it a bad idea you won't loose you talent oh dear your number one I know that I wouldn't take my own advise but please I don't understand what is wrong just be careful if your ailment is life threatening please!!!!
Old March 23, 2015, 03:15 AM   #24
mete

It's easy for a Doc to say NO ! Is he a shooter ?
On another forum a thread was involved with docs who were shooters and especially DG hunting as were the other posters. The docs said normally no problem for pace makers shooting heavy recoil DG guns !!!
Old June 6, 2015, 01:01 PM   #25
Will-j

Heart Stents

BLUR; Can't expound on others' comments; This comes straight from my Cardiologist's mouth.
Had a heart attack in mid-Jan. this year. After release from an 8-day stay, I asked Doc. Mitchell- ALB. Ga., if I could resume shooting with reduced loads, or .22 RF too keep in practice as I heard not to shoot for fear of dislodging the stent and having only 30% capacity at that time.
His response was to shoot all I wanted [or could stand.] He said the stent is held in place in the artery wall by "Little claws" which are extended when the stent is [ballooned] in place. Didn't hesitate to hit the bench the next day. That was 1st of Feb. Still going strong [for as long as my strength endures] with no problems.

As I said before....Can't/won't elaborate on others' comments....But having "Been There" and still no problems.....I'd say go for it. Each individual has a separate set of circumstances.. Go slow and light and work up from there.

Good luck.

WILL.