The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 25, 2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Need some help with my Encone/Katahdin

Guys, I have been away for a time but I need you good people to give me some advise. First, let me give you a little background on the situation. I own and am very happy with my TC Encore. I have a 280 Remington, 50 caliber muzzleloader, and now a 500 S&W Katahdin barrel. The gun and all barrels are stainless and the butt stock and fore ends are all walnut. After taking 7 shots with the 20" Katahdin the two screws that hold the fore end on the barrel not only vibrated out but they bent and also elongated one of the holes in the fore end as well. I am thinking of modifying it myself and now more than ever seeing as S&W/TC seem not to have an answer. They, in not so many words, acknowledged that it's a known problem. It may infact be why the walnut Katahdin specific fore end has been discontinued.

So, I guess I'm asking have any of you heard of this problem before? Do any of you who have knowledge of these TC barrels have an idea for a fix? Does anyone have any idea how I might make some head way in getting help from S&W/TC?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Last edited by .284; June 26, 2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old June 25, 2015, 01:43 PM   #2
Doyle

You might want to join the Encore forum and check over there. Lots more platform-specific knowledge on a forum dedicated to only one platform.

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/
Old June 25, 2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm not an encore guy but have some hot Contender stuff in my collection... seems there were some steel blocks that screwed in 2 holes in the barrel, & the fore ends were relieved so the fore end indexed on the block & a single screw held the fore end onto the block... fit was tight on the block so the single screw just kept it from lifting off... the block was machined to the profile of the barrel, which helped it stay put, along with the 2 screws...

I had a couple of these in my collection, & had my retired machinist buddy make me 6-8 more so I could leave the blocks on the barrels...

do they use a similar system on the Encores ???
Old June 25, 2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Doyle

Wheel Man, it sounds like you are describing a "hanger bar". If so, then yes I've seen similar systems used on an Encore - but never tried one myself.
Old June 25, 2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I think it helps with bolt shear ???
Old June 25, 2015, 05:11 PM   #6

Yeah there is nothing but screws through the wood and they attach where the barrel is drilled and tapped for them. Here's the problem, if I shore up the weak wood with a internal sleeve of some type of metal I fear that the weaker link will become the screws and they will sheer off. The lugs/studs that are mounted on the muzzle loader barrels to allow the ramrod through might be my way to utilize a bigger screws as well as taking the pressure off the screw and letting the studs bare the brunt of the punishment. This would involve reworking the fore end as well as possibly tig welding the studs to the barrel.....ouch.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old June 25, 2015, 08:33 PM   #7
tdoyka

heres a tc sight that may have what your looking for....

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums
Old June 26, 2015, 03:09 PM   #8
KRP

you may find some use from the links on mike Bellm's site for repair/replacement/modification of the forearm. Lots of other great stuff too. Good luck, I would not be happy with your situation.
Old June 26, 2015, 07:42 PM   #9

So an update. I think I have made up my mind that a modification is going to be made to the barrel and stock. If you have seen the muzzle loader barrels, you would know that they have two "lugs" screwed to the barrel that not only let the ramrod slide through but are also the mounting points for the fore end. I am going to attach one of those lugs to the forward most threaded hole in the barrel. To do this I will screw it down and most likely have it tig welded on to the barrel. Then, I am going to drill the fore end to accept the the diameter and depth of the lug on the inside and counter bore the outside for the larger muzzle loader fore end screw. I will try just one lug first because there is a serious taper where the chamber turns to barrel on the 500 where as the 50 cal ML is pretty straight where the back lug is located. I think I have found a fix.

I'm welcome to any suggestions or thoughts and sure appreciate the help from everyone.

All in all I don't hate S&W/TC I just think I care and researched more. Heck, I probably have a recall fix for them LOL!