The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 24, 2006, 07:39 PM   #26
Hook686

Quote:
And just how would your high and mighty criteria read for obtaining a CCW? I suppose those in a wheel chair or on other mobility assistants would be opted out. Heart patients, . . . excessive arthritis, . . . cancer patients, . . . folks who used to be in the military, . . . would you deny these also???
Dwight ... I am a disabled American veteran. I was not excluded. I am in California ... perhaps not the toughest, but certainy not the easiest place to get a CCW. Perhaps this group, as a group (those with CCW licenses), has a pretty good group record simply because of the strict standards that are applied ... not everyone can get a CCW and every applicant here in California is open to a psychological evaluation, in addition to having their full record checked.

Quote:
How about Springmom here, . . . probably deny her because she is just an emotional woman, . . . you know, . . . got all them kids and probably too high strung to safely be entrusted with a firearm.
Personally I do not like the references you make to Springmom as an emotional woman, with lots of kids that cause her to be high strung. Geeesh ! I view her as an adult citizen, with all the rights, privilages, duties and obligations that go along with that staus. Other than what I read on her web page, and here, I know nothing else about her. Be nice.

Quote:
There has to be some criteria, . . . and being an adult with no skeletons in the background, . . . I think that is plenty enough. The CCW should also be recognized in all 50 states and WDC too.
Yes I can understand that you believe that some criteria is needed in order to decide who can carry a weapon, and who cannot. Once it is decided that a criteria is required, the next step is, "What is the criteria " ? You suggest, "No skeletons in the background." What are "Sketons in the background" ? A DUI on ones record ? Any sort of record at all ? skipping school ? Unpaid parking tickets ? An ex who filed a complaint against you in domestic court, and had a restraining order lodged agaist you (that applies here in California) ?

I find once it is decided that a criteria is required, I find myself right in the very situation that exists today, some get a license, some do not. As I expressed, I don't have a problem with that. In fact it is this very thinking that led to my questions, not an unjust, or unempathetic response to Springmom's post.

I really have no "High and mighty criteria". I'm just wondering what folks think the criteria, if any, ought be .... or does everybody get to carry ?

I was just thinking. Please don't let my thoughts aggrivate you ... just the silly thoughts of an old disabled veteran, who thinks he has trouble with everybody carrying a weapon, or coming up with a list of criteria to sort out the eligible applicants. Dwight it was not me that would exclude the disabled, it was Springmom who indicated she would limit carry to the abled bodied, not me.

Quote:
You need to do some thinking, . . . you've sounded a lot more like Teddy Kennedy than Ronald Reagan.
I do some thinking, maybe too much thinking. No I'm not a supporter of Teddy Kennedy ... but then I do not support "Reaganomics" either, nor many of his other ideas.

Quote:
You are most welcome Dwight.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 24, 2006, 07:46 PM   #27
bigautomatic

I'll keep this short and to the point. Capt Charlie is right on target. Springmom, you cannot let them win. Take a stand in your neighborhood, get organized. Go door to door. I'll bet most of the people in your neighborhood are waiting for someone like you to get the ball rolling! TAKE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD BACK.
Old January 24, 2006, 07:53 PM   #28
xjmox14x

Ok, I've pounded some sand........moving on, I agree with bigautomatic, get a neighborhood watch thing going. Let the local PD know that you're doing this and that you're concerned. If this sort of thing happens again, make sure EVERYONE knows about it and the intruders are met by not only the PD but 20 ****** off neighbors as well. It's your property and neighborhood, make sure it stays that way.
Old January 24, 2006, 09:00 PM   #29
springmom

neigborhood watching

RIght. We talked to the constable about that idea that night in the ER as we were finishing up getting Aaron's statement written/signed. It will, interestingly, take a multi-neighborhood watch to make this work.

The reason (those of you who know the Houston suburbs may now take a nap) is that each neighborhood is actually its own little quasi-legal entity. Each neighborhood contracts with either the constables OR the sheriff's office for police protection. This is because the two overlap, I suppose.

At any rate, there are about as many neighborhoods within, say, two miles of here, as my dog has fleas in July. Each one has to do their own neighborhood watch thing, or else there will be "holes" in the security net that the BG's will slip through. (Can you tell I'm trying to figure out how to make this work?)

What we will need is some sort of interface that will enable, say, the Fairfax Neighborhood Watch patrol (who should have been near enough to have heard this going on) to contact the Postwood and Birnamwood and other Neighborhood Watches (all of whom need to have civilians on patrol armed with two way radios that the sheriffs and or constables will hear) and the LEO of their jurisdiction.

In other words, we need a comprehensive system, and what we HAVE is a patchwork quilt.

Our little neighborhood is really quite good (evidenced by the lady who jumped out of her car to chase off the car thieves in action!) But we are a neighborhood with only one entrance/exit and maybe 40-50 houses total on that loop. We are really set up for taking care of ourselves. We have a constable who lives right across the street (although he's not assigned here, of course). We have people who know each other, our neighborhood is always active and out on the streets or our front yards when the weather is nice... you can't get much better. What we don't have is any control at all over what happens 3/4 of a mile away in Fairfax.

I wonder if life was ever as uncomplicated as I thought it was when I was a child....?

Thanks so much for the support, guys (and Hook, Dwight was making a point, not putting me down. I know he would never do that, but thanks for being concerned)

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old January 24, 2006, 09:33 PM   #30
Glockamolie

It may or may not help, but you and your sons need to come to Brian Hoffners lecture on SuperBowl Sunday. Forget football, you have other priorities. It's going to be at Jim Pruett's Guns and Ammo, 11101 Huffmeister. You can call the store to register, and it's FREE. 832-237-GUNS. It's from noon to 4pm. www.hoffners.com
I have no affiliation with Pruett's or Hoffners, except that I listen to Jim on 97.5, and Hoffner is a guest every Monday around 4 or 4:30pm. See you there!

By the way, Harris County DOES suck. I hate the traffic, the crime, etc. I want to move out of here asap.

Last edited by Glockamolie; January 24, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old January 24, 2006, 09:48 PM   #31
Wisby

Thats right down the road from Ravensway where I lived
Old January 24, 2006, 10:15 PM   #32
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook686
Is that your dream community ... everyone with a gun. Do you really think that would stop everyone from criminal activity ? Instead of walking up and beating up your son, the guy could have walked up and shot him. Is that better ?
Well, my dream community would be every law-abiding citizen with a gun. Regarding felons, I don't quite feel the same way. But someone who would go through the obvious hassle (especially in some states) to acquire a CCW clearly has a measure of respect for the law. I don't know about you, but the idea of a murderer breaking a sweat over carrying a concealed handgun without a permit seems like a pretty ridiculous notion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook686
For these reasons I very much support it being tough to get a CCW, and do not think every Tom, Dick and Harry (or Trixie, Donna, and Harriet) ought be able to carry a concealed weapon.
Could you be more specific? What are the qualifiers for people being able to carry a concealed handgun? Is screening for convicted felons not enough?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I won't. But I will say that without further clarification on your part, your statement lingers on rather thin ice in terms of the Constitution.

If you'd care to start a thread in the Legal and Political section about this, I will certainly contribute, as, I imagine, will others.
Old January 24, 2006, 10:27 PM   #33
Sir William

Springmom, contact your TX Homeland Security office. Explain the entire situation to them and ask about grants for block patrols. Contact your PCT 4 Constable and discuss your options. Contact the HCDA and DO light a fire under them and keep it lit. Contact DC Bloomfield and ask him about a victims advocate and request written advisory notices concerning the case. I decided to purchase a HK91. HINT, HINT.
Old January 26, 2006, 09:00 AM   #34
PythonGuy

This whole thread is like a blog, perhaps a chat forum would be better, or we could all detail our week.
Old January 26, 2006, 09:56 AM   #35
GUNSMOKE45441

Tough way to live, unfortunately too many places are getting to be like that.
You need to be aware at all times, a lot of it has to do with the courts, the punks know there will probably be no punishment other than probation.
We need to take back our streets one block at a time.
Best of luck Springmom!! Stay after em.
Too many lock their doors, and hide under the bed hoping things will get better, it doesn't work that way. Stand up and be counted!!!!
Old January 26, 2006, 05:50 PM   #36
springmom

Well gee, golly, Pythonguy...

....I wonder why you are the ONLY one who find this thread irrelevant?

Let's see: there was Sir William's post on setting up a Neighborhood Watch, which was in my response to a post talking about the difficulty of doing so in a patchwork of jurisdictions that are literally several blocks wide at most; there is the question of when/whether a person should carry and what training is involved....and of course there is the original article that I wrote ON MY BLOG, not reproduced here, in which I call for the arming of every eligible citizen to stop the rampant crime that is eating our society alive.

Oh, but that's only talking about my week. Doesn't measure up to your standards. So we should all just drop the thread posthaste. :barf: :barf: :barf:

Springmom

home on the web:

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old January 26, 2006, 06:20 PM   #37
loosecannon

Quote:
... not everyone can get a CCW and every applicant here in California is open to a psychological evaluation, in addition to having their full record checked.
The state of California giving people psychological evaluations? I don't know whether to laugh or to weep Hook686,( If I do either I am sure I would be disqualified by the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia for being to emotional.)
Old January 26, 2006, 06:24 PM   #38
azredhawk44

Hey SpringMom:

Sorry to hear about your sons' misfortune, but very glad that everybody is alive and breathing.

Best of luck and all support and prayers possible for you and your neighborhood watch program if you decide to pursue it.

I hope your thugs meet up with a darker shadow in a darker alley and leave your neighborhood in peace.

Not to be monday morning QB, but hopefully this raises the situational awareness of your sons. The martial artist may have benefitted from paying a little more attention to the idea of "the best way to block a punch is not to be there when it comes", but he was probably blinded by the pretty lady friend he was with.
Old January 26, 2006, 06:55 PM   #39
stephen426

Springmom,

About your Oprah rant on your blog... She has since recanted her support for Frey and claimed she was duped by the publisher. I still have all the respect in the world for that woman and she has helped a countless number of people.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with your bad week but it was on your blog. Sorry to go off topic.
Old January 26, 2006, 07:13 PM   #40
American4guns

Damn it i cant read the story.the links wont work for me.I believe that if a person is a law abiding citizen they should not be refused a CCW in any state.
damn i wish i could have read springmoms story so i could comment on it.
I dont know if i would give the right to a 18 year old though.Generally speaking i think people that age are to impulsive.I myself would be worried having a number of people that age walking around legally armed.However there are always going to be the people that age and younger who have illegal guns.The world is a different place from when I and most of you grew up.If there was ever a time ,in my opion for legally armed citizens its now.
Springmom i kind of got the jist of what happened to your son.Glad all are ok.
Old January 26, 2006, 09:20 PM   #41
garryc

**And anytime an area has an influx of new criminals, the OLD balance of criminals/turf/etc is going to get upset and you're going to see activity where it was not before, or at least that is my reasoning**
Any time a wild preditory species population grows it must occupy more territory in order to feed. It will continue growing, feeding and adapting until it reaches a physical limit.
A 45 slug, IMHO, is damned limiting!!!
Old January 27, 2006, 01:06 AM   #42
springmom

Well, yes and no

Quote:
Not to be monday morning QB, but hopefully this raises the situational awareness of your sons. The martial artist may have benefitted from paying a little more attention to the idea of "the best way to block a punch is not to be there when it comes", but he was probably blinded by the pretty lady friend he was with.
Azredhawk, you are certainly correct that situational awareness is important. But youngest son was sitting out in a lit neighborhood park area (in this part of the country each little neighborhood associations has its own pool and park, sometimes more than one, depending on the size of the neighborhood. He was in an area that I would not have hesitated to be in... at least, not before last Friday.

And my other son was in his car on a major east-west thoroughfare at 10:00 on a Sunday night.

They weren't in places where there should have been trouble.

OTOH, part of me wants to stamp my foot and proclaim, dammit, we pay taxes and neighborhood association fees and there is NOWHERE in my neighborhood that is public that is off limits to me because it IS my neighborhood. These vermin need to crawl back in the sewers whence they came.

A postscript: apparently several of these two-legged rats are still on the loose. The officer who came to show youngest son the mug shot photos did not think they were in custody. Very confusing, and none of it is in the online records yet to get more specifics.

Springmom

home on the web:

Old January 27, 2006, 05:06 PM   #43
ahenry

I saw this article on Fox News and thought of your situation Springmom.

It’s a small story so I’ll just repost it here:
Quote:
Eight Katrina Refugees Arrested in Texas Murder Cases

HOUSTON — Eight Hurricane Katrina refugees who are members of rival New Orleans gangs were arrested in connection with 11 recent murders and other violent crimes, Houston police said Friday. Investigators with the newly formed Houston Police Gang Murder Squad said they are still looking for three suspects. "The safety of the city of Houston, its citizens and as well as some of the evacuees depends on us arresting these individuals as soon as possible," Police Chief Harold Hurtt said. The Houston-area crime rate spiked sharply in the last few months of 2005, and police officials have attributed some of that to Katrina refugees. The 11 suspects are also accused of aggravated robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes. Nine of the murders happened in the city's high-crime southwest side, while the other two were in the Houston suburb of Pasadena. All the murders have occurred since November. Authorities said they believe the killings can be attributed to rival gangs who have set up shop in Houston after evacuating New Orleans following the Aug. 29 hurricane.
Old January 27, 2006, 11:11 PM   #44
Eghad

Ouch.. my heart goes out to you and the family.

NRA Life Member
Old January 28, 2006, 09:31 AM   #45
garryc

<< QUOTE
HOUSTON — Eight Hurricane Katrina refugees who are members of rival New Orleans gangs were arrested in connection with 11 recent murders and other violent crimes, Houston police said Friday. Investigators with the newly formed Houston Police Gang Murder Squad said they are still looking for three suspects. "The safety of the city of Houston, its citizens and as well as some of the evacuees depends on us arresting these individuals as soon as possible," Police Chief Harold Hurtt said. The Houston-area crime rate spiked sharply in the last few months of 2005, and police officials have attributed some of that to Katrina refugees. The 11 suspects are also accused of aggravated robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes. Nine of the murders happened in the city's high-crime southwest side, while the other two were in the Houston suburb of Pasadena. All the murders have occurred since November. Authorities said they believe the killings can be attributed to rival gangs who have set up shop in Houston after evacuating New Orleans following the Aug. 29 hurricane.

It would seem to me that "saving" people who have criminal records or are affiliated \with violent gangs at the expence of the peacfull is a violation of the public trust.During Katrina, FEMA disarmed many persons and left them open to preditation by gangs. This was a willful violation of the constitutional rights of citizens.
Perhaps the persons that have been convicted of violent acts, or drug dealing if they show on the New Orleans data base, should be located and intured in closed prisons or closed military bases. For example, Orient correctional in Ohio was closed and has a capacity of about 2000. This would be a good job for private corrections under federal control. Of course private corrections, at least in Ohio, has no experiance in handling difficult inmates that they can not "cherry pick".<<Quote>>
After reconstruction, the persons should be returned to New Orleans and let the liberal government in that city handle them.
Or, perhaps, a CCC program should be set up and the persons under the above conditions would have the elective of going to inturment or working to rebuild the city.
Sending these people to areas and expecting the cities to handle the increased crime problem is just wrong.
Old January 28, 2006, 09:48 AM   #46
Apple a Day

God bless you, ma'am.
An innocent question regarding the car break-ins: in Texas can't you shoot someone who is on your property at night trying to steal something?
Old January 28, 2006, 10:22 AM   #47
DasBoot

Springmom,
I'm real sorry to hear about the crap you folks are going through over there.
But does it really suprise anyone?
I don't know how sensitive the staff is here to politically in-correct viewpoints, so I will be somewhat vague.
And yes! The views stated here are a GENERALIZATION, arrived at by over 50yrs of walking this planet.
There is a certain portion of our society that embraces hostility and anti-social behaviour as the norm.
Just take a look at the "music" videos to see what I mean.
Ever really "listen" to the lyrics?
They make up approx. 12% of the population, yet commit an amazing 80%+ of the violent crime!!!
Let that statistic SINK IN!
Broken homes, unwed mothers, the males impregnating as many females as they can then deserting them, welfare cheats, gang members, women who don't even know who the father of their baby is, drop-out rate, crack babies, etc, etc, etc...........!
This is the only group I've ever witnessed rioting in the streets, burning down and looting their own homes/stores and neighborhoods.
Then screaming for the government to rebuild it!
To have a criminal record is a badge of honor.
If you study hard in school, some of your peers will ridicule you as trying to be "white".
Whenever an area becomes predominantly populated by this group, the character and safety of this area inevitably declines.
In 5 years of driving a taxi in NYC, this is the ONLY group of people that tried to either rip me off, skip on the fare or just hassle me in some way.
They are at the top of most every list of societal ills you can think of.
In South Florida, AIDS cases declined across the board.
For this group, THEY DOUBLED!!!(As per a report by the Sun Sentinal)
The saddest part about this is what it does to all the beautiful, hardworking and lawful members of this group that are lumped in with all the scum.
They are a small percentage but do an ENORMOUS amount of damage in our society.
And yes, EVERY group has it's troublemakers.
This group has more than it's fair share!
Be aware Springmom.
Get that neighborhood watch going.....NOW!
These punks will usually turn tail at any real show of resistance.
They do not expect that from the rest of society.
Good luck, and again, be very aware of your surroundings.

Last edited by DasBoot; January 28, 2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old January 28, 2006, 01:50 PM   #48
ArcherAndShooter

Racism has no place in this discussion

Oops. Just realized that it's the hubster that's logged on. So ignore the "archerandshooter" name attached. My bad....

The punks who attacked my son were black; and the other punks who threatend my middle son were black. But that does not mean that I need to look at blacks as being more of a threat. I'm surprised that post remains on this thread, and frankly, if TFL is trying to raise the bar on grammar, we'd better raise the bar on racism too. That looks a whole lot worse to the anti groups than misspelling.

As to shooting someone trying to steal your property...yes, in Texas that is not a crime. However, I would not kill somebody over a car. I do have one shotshell in my revolver, however. If somebody is breaking into the car I have several options: call the police and wait inside (preferable, in my view), call the police and go out and confront the burglars (risky), or go out shooting. The last is, theoretically, legal, but I believe that is wrong and I could not justify that to my own conscience. I imagine that #2 might be my choice if it was the same car a third time in as many weeks! But it wouldn't be because I was making a truly "best choice" but because I was pi***d and wasn't going to let them get away with it. But with the response time in our area, especially, if I saw them at it I'd call the constables. I expect at this point they'd boogie right over....

We're getting express service these days, since we've become regular "customers"

Springmom

Last edited by ArcherAndShooter; January 28, 2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: realized husband was the one logged on!
Old January 29, 2006, 08:53 AM   #49
DasBoot

Springmom,
How did you come to infer that I was referring to blacks?
I never mentioned the word "black" in my thread.
Now who's being racist?
Do you feel that the points I brought up point to one racial group?
And which point(s) in particular do you think are incorrect?
My post has NOTHING to do w/racism.
It has to do with what I have experienced and observed in the world around me for the last 50yrs.
Quote:
And yes! The views stated here are a GENERALIZATION
Did you read that part?
Do you think it's just a coincidence that crime has spiked in your area since the so-called "refugees" arrived?
If I have stepped over a line here, I would appreciate the TFL staff letting me know.
Again, my post had nothing to do w/racism, just conclusions based on observation and experience.
BTW, my wife is a mix.....Columbian, Hawaiian........and black.
Old January 29, 2006, 09:09 AM   #50
NukemJim

Quote:
however. If somebody is breaking into the car I have several options: call the police and wait inside (preferable, in my view), call the police and go out and confront the burglars (risky), or go out shooting. The last is, theoretically, legal, but I believe that is wrong and I could not justify that to my own conscience.
+1

SpringMom, I like the way you think.

Also on other subjects as well

Hope things get a whole lot better, you an your'n have had very "intersting time" as in the old Asain curse " May you live in intersting times" may your life get less "interesting".

NukemJim

"Guns shoot bullets.
People shoot people."