The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2006, 02:10 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Small Caliber Reloading

Does anyone here reload ammo for any of the smaller auto pistol cartridges?

I am talking about .380ACP or .32ACP types.

Is it worth it?
Old January 23, 2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

I load .32 S&W Long WC and .380. The .32s are certainly worth it since they are hard to get commercially, and my Benelli is WC only. The .380 is a bit more iffie, but I just don't feel right unless I am setup to load for everything I own.

Only real problem is the tiny powder charges. Even tenth grain variations are noticable in the .32. I have given up on all but ball powders. .32 ACP is likely to be even more particular.
Old January 23, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
caz223

That's where you save the most money.
The bullets are cheaper in .380, and you use less powder loading them, but loaded ammo is MUCH more expensive in .380 than 9mm practice ammo.
Old January 23, 2006, 03:32 PM   #4
lizziedog1

Thanks for your responses.

I do reload .38's for a revolver. I find it any easy round to reload.

Are not the parimeters for loading for auto pistols more stringent? Revolvers seem to have more room to work with as far as bullet design and powder charges goes.

Isn't the crimping trickier for auto rounds then for revolver rounds? I use a nice roll crimp for my revolvers, but I know that s a no-no for autos.

One more question.

Have your auto reloads proven more accurate then factory loads?
Old January 23, 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Poygan

How about reloading .25ACP? I also cast for it. I think I can do better reloading for this caliber because the factory loads tend to be anemic.

The parameters are more narrow for the auto loaders because they are designed to operate within specific pressure ranges to operate the actions. The nose designs must generally work in the loading cycle, with round noses being the usual (but not only) design.
Old January 23, 2006, 05:01 PM   #6
caz223

I bet lead and powder go a loooong way in .25 acp.....
Old January 24, 2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Poygan

caz223,
Yup, the can of powder will be an antique before its gone and I'm still casting from the original wheelweight!
Old January 24, 2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Leftoverdj

I don't find crimp to be a problem. Just set the seater die to remove the flare but not to crimp significantly. I'm loading slightly oversized cast bullets so there is plenty of neck tension to hold the bullet in place.

Crimp would not be a problem in the .32 ACP since it is semi-rimmed. The .380 does headspace on the mouth, but it's enough bigger to be no more problem than loading 9x19.

I can't comment on relative accuracy since my .380 has only rudimentary sights. With the tiny pocket pistols, staying on a pie plate at 30-40 feet is all I ask. The Benelli is a finely accurate target pistol, but I have never even seen a box of factory .32 S&W Long WC so only handloads have been through it.
Old January 24, 2006, 12:30 PM   #9
renaissance7697

.32acp

Just finished loading 350 >>> .32 acps

2.2 Titegroup under a 77 grain RN Hard Cast Lead. (National)

I didn't try to use my RCBSPiggyback or 650.

(Got the RCB Piggyback shell plate after I had already Sized, Primed, and flared them and the 650 conversion was too costly to justify for the small number I was reloading and intend to fire)
The .32 acp is a "carry a lot" > "Fire Few"

Did them single stage on a rockchuker.

Lee 3 Die Set and a .32 S&W Lee FCD with the crimp taken out (just used the carbide "resizing" ring.....Lee doesn't make a 32 acp FCD)

Flare just enough to start Bullet and crimp to remove the flare and return the case to resized diameter.

Have tried them in my 1903 Colt Model M and Model 1934 Beretta.

They worked fine in the 1903

Some were "tight" in the 1934.
I think the Bullet was engaging the "lands" in the Beretta before the round was completely chambered.
Old January 26, 2006, 10:21 PM   #10
COUNTRYLEATHER

Loading the .380 acp

I used to load .380 acp for a Walther PPK/s. From what
I learned, I noticed that a very good taper crimp die is very important and that overall cartridge length is very important too. Most loads seemed to be fine on the accuracy department, but the right powder charge is very important for reliability in a semi-auto with a slide travel this short. The 9mm and .45 acp, etc. are alot more inherently forgiving in reliability in the gun's action. You might try to duplicate Winchester Silvertip - bullet weight and velocity in a hollow point load. That was a great round. Also, the truncated flat point bullet (TFP)by Magnus bullet company (cast bullets) was very good.. Don't go heavy on the bullet weights. Not to push the 9mm on you, but that is about the most economical round to reload ever made. I have reloaded some of the cases about 20 times safely, with no case trimming whatsoever! Just clean the primer pockets now and then, and always tumble clean the cases before each loading.
Old January 26, 2006, 11:40 PM   #11
Jbar4Ranch

"...and I'm still casting from the original wheelweight!"

HA!
I don't cast for the .25acp, but I load for it. A little extrapolation tells me I can get 7000 rounds per pound of W231.

SASS 47015