The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 18, 2006, 06:40 PM   #1
timothy75

SKS question (now I'm confused)

I have a chinese model that I bought without a bayonet spike and want to add one. I heard you could put a bayonet on the russians but not the chinese but that was during the AW ban. So whats the word nowdays?
Old January 18, 2006, 08:29 PM   #2
expeditionx

Ive often read the ATF's position is taking evil features off is ok adding back is bad. I would suggest not to. Playing the 10 or less game opens the allowance of this again.
The whole purpose of the 1989-90 law was to deny importation with bayonette. Chances are if it doesnt have it it didnt come in the country with one before 1990.
Old January 18, 2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Limeyfellow

If it was imported before 1989 it can have its bayonet and classed as preban and can do pretty much what you want to it.

However after that date there was a ban on import of foreign military rifles with certain features. Amongst them were the things like removable high capacity magazines, pistol grips and bayonets. Since all that the SKS had was the bayonet they were imported from China without them.

In 1994 the government banned all imports of Chinese weapons in response to a crack down on civil rights was the offical reason but that didn't stop the import of just about anything else. More likely it was the fact that 1/3rd of US weapon sales were Chinese at the time and gunmakers wanted it cut off. So after this ban no more Chinese SKS' were legal for import.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Jack O'Conner

I'm certain that within the next decade BATF will criminalize the practise of adding a bayonet to any SKS carbine. I would not place myself in a position against the BATF if I were you. This body of our Federal Gov't is tasked to seek out and arrest the bad guys.

Please do not become a bad guy whether by error or intent.
Jack
Old January 18, 2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Sodbuster

Timothy

What are the first numbers of your serial number? Don't give the last three. Do you have any code like 0406, or M21 on the receiver?
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 18, 2006, 09:32 PM   #6
joneb

if the bayonet were US made it may be ok ? you can e-mail the batf with your ? your state may have different laws.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:48 PM   #7
Limeyfellow

Quote:
if the bayonet were US made it may be ok ? you can e-mail the batf with your ? your state may have different laws.
Only if you replace enough parts on the rifle so it only has 10 or less foreign made parts on the rifle will it be legal to add a US made bayonet. Otherwise just adding a bayonet to a post 89 imported Chinese SKS is illegal.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Te Anau

Quote:
What are the first numbers of your serial number? Don't give the last three. Do you have any code like 0406, or M21 on the receiver?
Im not sure what you know,but Ive always wondered about my Norinco.The first three of my serial number are "027" and in front of these there is a "21".I dont see a "0406" but am not sure where to look for it.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:13 AM   #9
Sodbuster

The first Norinco SKSs were made in 1956. If you add the first two numbers in the serial number to 56, you get the year of manufacture. For instance, my Norinco SKS serial number is 23014xxx. Adding 23 and 56 I get 79. The year of manufacture is 1979. That's important because what's been said about pre-89 Norincos is true. A bayonet can legally be put back on. I actually removed mine, but I doubt BATFE will be concerned with that modification I did. 027 should mean 1958 manufacture, but even using 27 instead of 2, 56 + 27 = 83, or 1983 manufacture, still pre-89.

The 21 by itself is confusing. Mine is stamped M21, and that code says that Norinco produced that SKS expressly for export. For commercial reasons. It was built and shipped as new. This is opposed to a code such as 0406 (and many others) that designate a SKS as having been produced in a Chinese arsenal for the Chinese army. It may have even been rebuilt before export.

A great site for SKS info is

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/m...fle?forum=4870

Probably the best advice given here has been to call BATF.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 19, 2006, 12:34 AM   #10
expeditionx

Now you have an excuse to go and buy another chinese sks with a bayonette. I bought a few last year that were from someones collection that was sold off. The dealer's table had 40 new unfired ones. Most of them were still in some original Cosmoline. I havnt even had time to shoot them yet.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:09 PM   #11
Te Anau

Thanks Sodbuster.Let me tell you exactly what my Norinco says on the receiver.Maybe it will help others as well if you get back to us.
Heres what it says from left to right.
1.There is a triangle that has "0223" inside it.The 2's are centered and bigger than the 0 or 3.
2.Next is 3 Chinese symbols I couldnt begin to describe.
3.Next is "21" followed by "027XXX", SKS 7.62x39MM above "Made in China by Norinco" and finally "ACT III Greensboro N.C."
I did purchase it at a gunshop in the early 90's and it does have a bayonet lug.
Old January 19, 2006, 01:48 PM   #12
Limeyfellow

The triangle with the chinese figures is a code.

The O223 in the triangle should be like this yes?

Thats the factory code for where it was created.

The three chinese figures you see means type 56 carbine. Should look like

If they are a different chinese letters you got quite a rare code on the SKS there.

The 21 is probrobly part of the serial number so its 21027XXXX indicating a 1977 year of manufacturing. I doubt the 21 is seperate from the way it looks, but Chinese SKS numbering systems are odd so its possible they could have done a 6 number system and beginning with a 0 would indicate a 1968 creation. I would go with the later number.

It doesn't look like the import mark included a date of import which is awkward because that would be proof enough of its preban status. As is, without being able to find the paperwork related to this import and see when that range of serial numbers came into the US theres no real way to proof its legal to add a bayonet back.
Old January 20, 2006, 01:32 PM   #13
Te Anau

Thanks Limeyfellow.
My triangle looks just like that and the first two Chinese symbols match.The third is different.And by the way,the spacing between my "21" and "027XXX" is about an inch.
Old January 21, 2006, 11:13 AM   #14
timothy75

Ok my chinese serial number is 90032xx then it says Armco Boyl.MA made in china. It doesnt have triangle or chinese symbols on it that I can see. I'd love to hear anything else you could tell me about it. Thanks
Old January 23, 2006, 10:20 PM   #15
Te Anau

We need a link to a good "code" site.???
Old January 23, 2006, 10:28 PM   #16
Sodbuster

Here's one site.