The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2000, 05:57 PM   #1
slickpuppy

I was browsing through Brownells and found they have a product for sale called Amer-lene that can re-parkerize the finish. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, Have you tried the predip solution that will give you a black parkerize finish? I was interested in trying it with some Glock slides and possibly some AR barrels I have. I spoke with one of Brownells tech people and he said he had used it with good results. Thats one person and if any of you have experience with it or any other parkerizing finish I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks
Old March 12, 2000, 07:24 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Slickpuppy, I haven't used it but I've found that anytime I try something new from Brownells it comes with great instructions and if I have problems with it the tech support staff can always help. George
Old March 12, 2000, 11:00 AM   #3
slickpuppy

Thanks George.
Old March 13, 2000, 08:26 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm given to understand while Brownells sells good stuff, they're not cheap. The parkerizing solution may be bought as a concentrate or a ready to use. I believe the Brownell's is a ready to use - which makes it more expensive. Shop around if you're serious about parkerizing.
Old March 13, 2000, 09:36 PM   #5
slickpuppy

Gary,
Yes, I agree with you on the cost of Brownells. Fortunately I get the dealer discount so the 3 solution, ready to use Amer-lene concentrate would run around the $40 - $45 range. That is still a savings compared to $40/slide that Glock charges and substantially less than what Glockworks charges at around $120/slide.
Old March 15, 2000, 01:09 AM   #6
18z

You might try Ivan Harlow at [email protected] He has had some experience with Brownell's parkerizing solution.
Old March 15, 2000, 12:56 PM   #7
slickpuppy

18z,
Brownells sells their house brand and the Amer-lene concentrate. Is this guy a friend of yours?