The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 14, 2006, 09:31 AM   #1
kymasabe

Do you disclose CCW when stopped by LEO ?

I was told at my CCW class that when stopped by the police to hand them your drivers license and registration but put your CCW permit on top of it all and leave your hands on the steering wheel.

But was also told here in Florida (maybe is a local thing and not a state thing) that any time there is a handgun involved in a traffic stop, that the cop has to call for back-up, which usually results in at least another 2 or 3 cars. Quite a spectacle for a minor traffic violation.

Is disclosure required...or even recommended?
Old January 14, 2006, 09:34 AM   #2
craigntx

hand it to em at a 90 degree angle while singing the national anthem...
wait i digress, hehehe
no other coppers show up during my "incident"
Old January 14, 2006, 09:44 AM   #3
orionengnr

check your state law

In TX you must hand over your CHL license if carrying.

My CHL instructor (an active duty LEO) stated that even if you are not carrying, it is considered good form. When he runs your DL, it will show that you have a CHL as well. If you have already disclosed this during your initial "chat", no surprises, no question about whether you are hiding something. IMHO, possessing a CHL and sharing that info establishes that you are a law-abiding citizen and should make subsequent conversation more positive...

Note: I have had my CHL less than one year and am in no hurry to test this theory.
Old January 14, 2006, 09:47 AM   #4
rezmedic54

Ccw

In Arizona it's not mandatory you disclose you have a permit but probably a good idea. I tell my students this but when you do disclose you are packing you leave it up to the officer where you go from there. And you are required to let him take it once you notify him you have one on you.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old January 14, 2006, 10:23 AM   #5
sparkysteve

In Michigan it is required to inform a police officer that you are carrying during a stop.

Dont tread on me.
Old January 14, 2006, 10:25 AM   #6
sparkysteve

I'm sure it varies from state to state. You should be told how to handle it during your CCW class.

Dont tread on me.
Old January 14, 2006, 11:53 AM   #7
SamD

Only if required by law.

Sam
Old January 14, 2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Dwight55

In Ohio, . . . like several others, . . . it is mandatory.

But even without that, . . . I believe it is just being courteous to the LEO if one does it, . . . and a little courtesy never hurt anyone.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 14, 2006, 03:25 PM   #9
texdawg

I just went thru this last week (speeding ticket ), I handed it to the officer and he asked if I was carrying my weapon, I said yes, he asked where it was, I said briefcase, he said, do me a favor and keep away from your briefcase. He proceeded to write me a ticket and didn't seem to care much about it.
Old January 14, 2006, 03:31 PM   #10
The British Soldier

It makes sense to make them aware, and common courtesy. While in Northern Ireland if I was in civvies and armed [which was most of the time]; when you pass through a security checkpoint on foot it was the done thing to have your ID card in your palm. When it came for your turn to be searched you could give the security or Police guy a glimpse of the card and whisper to him that you were 'Security Forces Carrying' or 'SF Carrying'.

They all knew the score and switched their metal detector to stand-by discreetly as you stepped through it, so as not to compromise your identity. I imagine that a variation of this theme would be appropriate in the US, where you are legally authorised to carry if you have a CCW permit.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old January 14, 2006, 03:33 PM   #11
AirForceShooter

here in Fla. you are NOT required to disclose to a LEO that you're armed but I do. Put yourself in their shoes. All of a sudden the driver reaches for something and there's a gun on his/her hip. Tension goes wayyy up, LEO goes condition RED. Not a good thing.
Here on the West coast of Fla. they don't call for backup.
But your'e going to spend some quality time talking about guns. The LEO may secure gun for the duration of the stop and maybe even run the serial number to see if it's stolen.
Best part is, go with the flow and be nice and you're not getting that ticket you richly deserve.

AFS
Old January 14, 2006, 04:11 PM   #12
trigger happy

Fifth Amendment

'No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb, nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.'
Old January 14, 2006, 04:22 PM   #13
SamD

Concealed means concealed.

Sam
Old January 14, 2006, 04:29 PM   #14
Hkmp5sd

As stated, it is not required in Florida. I have done both methods to date. On one occasion, I informed the LEO and he disarmed be during the remainder of the stop. On the second occasion, I never informed them and they never knew I was armed.
Old January 14, 2006, 04:45 PM   #15
trigger happy

every time I've gotten a ticket while armed they freak out like I just threatened their lives by handing my concealed pistol license out with the driver's license
Old January 14, 2006, 04:51 PM   #16
swmike

Another thought would be to alter the behavior that causes one to be stopped by the police in the first place. When I look back at the 46 years I have had a drivers license and the times I was stopped it was for STUPID things. Driving an old POS car with numerous equipment violations to driving at 100 in a 55 mph zone. Once I altered my behavior, I didn't get stopped any more.

I have had a Carry Permit since I was 21 (41 years ago) and have ALWAYS made it a practice of handing it to the officer with my DL and Insurance Card. Have never had the "bracelts" applied or the weapon removed. Just admonished to keep hands away from it. Most officers thanked me for the advance notice. They all stated that they hated surprises.

My last encounter was with a Sheriff's Deputy investigating an accident where someone with an accute case of "cranial rectal inversion" ran into the back of my Pickup at a stop sign. He handed the CPL back to me and walked off to his car. No further questions or instructions. If you are legal, your legal. If not, prepare for the "treatment".

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old January 14, 2006, 04:54 PM   #17
trigger happy

I get pulled over because I look oriental or hispanic..since I'm not white
Old January 14, 2006, 04:54 PM   #18
Wildalaska

Absolutely...whether required by law or not. I am a responsible, courteous carryer and do not with to do anything to contribute to the image of gun owners as potential loonies

WildtheaveragejoeAlaska
Old January 14, 2006, 05:07 PM   #19
AK103K

Its not required here in PA. If they dont ask, I dont offer. I dont see any reason to bring it up, and I really dont see that its any of their business. I dont ask to see theirs.
Old January 14, 2006, 05:45 PM   #20
Cryptoboy

It's not really concealed from the cop once he/she pulls you over and runs your license though SamD. Sure it may not be visible, but he/she is going to know that you are carrying. Why try to **** the cop off by hiding something that he/she knows you most likely carrying?

Triggerhappy, what exactly does your post have to do with the original question?

Just keep in mind, a little courtesy goes a long way!

kymasabe, according to packing.org for Florida, you don't have to notify an officer that you are carrying. More often than not though, I've heard it actually helps you and your situation out. (Last time I got pulled over was in 2002, and I didn't have a CCW back then).

Go NOLES!!!!!
Old January 14, 2006, 05:47 PM   #21
trigger happy

swmike said something about altering your driving behavior to avoid being pulled over
Old January 14, 2006, 05:55 PM   #22
imur_huckle_berry

you're required to disclose in TX, but I probably would anyway. Whan I had my wreck last week the deputy wanted to know if "my piece was loose"...lol...I told him I had it and it was secured in my wife's car (she beat him to the scene) and all was good.

ahem...WildtheaveragejoeAlaska

WHATEVER! j/k Ken, good to see ya, thanks for the fast shipping on the mags!

It's funny until someone loses an eye...........then it's hilarious!

Huck
Old January 14, 2006, 06:07 PM   #23
Cryptoboy

RIght, and I still fail to see what that has to do with the Fifth Amendment. You alter your driving habits (or behavior as he says) and you aren't going to get pulled over. The guy driving at 65mph (if that's the speed limit) most likely isn't going to be bothered by a cop, as opposed to the guy that is doing 85mph in a 65 zone. Same with what you drive. You drive a car that has missing taillights, you will get pulled over. While most people consider such actions minor, you are in fact already BREAKING the law by doing the above items.

Go NOLES!!!!!
Old January 14, 2006, 06:16 PM   #24
trigger happy

there's a part that says something about self incrimination..may not mean anything to you, but I see the 4th and 5th Amendments as sacrosanct
Old January 14, 2006, 06:27 PM   #25
Wildalaska

The 4th and 5th amendments have NOTHING to do with advising an officer of wheter you are carryinng a lawful CCW

WildwhatsillinessAlaska