The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
azredhawk44

.30-30 Question - Lightest FMJ or plated bullets

For accuracy and velocity?

Spitzer, boattail, etc. Not an issue. I don't mind only loading one in the chamber and one in the magazine and that's it. This would also help with wind resistance and longer distance consistency.

I'd like to get 2500fps with something around 100-120gr.

My reasoning: My rifles consist of a Marlin .22LR autoloader, a Win94 and an M1a. I don't really like the Marlin and plan on getting rid of it later on, and I don't trust it. The M1a is too powerful to go out and bust 'yotes with, and a bit too heavy to go out casually hiking with.

The Win94 is so light to carry, it's great. For stomping across the desert, it's a great gun, but I never get closer to 'yotes than about 150-200 yards. I'm currently getting about 2100fps with 170gr bullets, which would just do too much to a 'yote close in, but has too much drop to compensate for at 200 yards with iron sights.

If the bullet weight could be dropped and 2500fps obtained, I would be a very happy feller. Also considering getting a TC in 30-30, so same load could be shot out of it...

I initially thought of casting, but you guys are telling me that lead will burn off too much in the barrel if I push any faster than about 1900fps even with light 113gr bullets.

So... think lightweight .30-06/.308 bullet design and .30-30 case and only 1 in the magazine. Anyone have any references/loading data for this situation?
Old January 9, 2006, 07:12 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Okay, I found some 100gr 1/2 jacketed RN bullets from Hornady on Midway for $8.50 per 100.

I also found some 110gr hollowpoint Sierra Varminters.

I also got some 150gr FP from Berry's Bullets.

Accurate Powder Co. shows loads for .30-30 using A2015 powder under a 100gr sierra plinker (similar to the hornady RN's) @ 2530-2880fps.

They also show some 110gr bullets at 2500-2700fps.

We'll see how accuracy stacks up with these bullets. I had a feeling it was possible to safely load the .30-30 to 2500+fps with lighter bullets, though.

They even had data for a 55gr sabot round to hit nearly 3400fps!
Old January 9, 2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Well, you certainly live in Gods part of the world, from a former, dying to get back, 25 year Tucson resident.
I have used the Hornady half jackets and the Sierra plinkers and the 110 gr HP Sierrra's on Coyotes many times. I used a 30 carbine a lot , but I preffered the 110 gr HP Sierra's over the Hornady half jackets or "plinkers" because they were more accurate in my gun. Might have to do with the amount of bearing surface on the rifling being greater. As long as you have only one in the mag, there is no reason why you couldn't use ANY bullet including the spire points. I used to squeek c'yotes up real close. They are smart, but very inquisitive hearing something in a death cry to stay away.
Old January 9, 2006, 09:08 PM   #4
somerled

The 110-grain bullets will reach those velocities at safe pressures (38,000 C.U.P. max.) in a Model 94. Hornady makes some good bullets in that weight.

The data I have shows Hodgdon H335 as being promising. I'd probably start out at 38 grains. This is data from Lyman No. 47. You might look at No. 48, which I do not have.

Of course, double check everything. Not knowing me, you have no idea if I've been drinking, not mastered typing, joined a terrorist cell group, or all of the above. No sense tearing up a good rifle trying to make a .308 Winchester out of it.

Also, some of the data in manuals were developed in longer, pressure-test barrels such as the data in Lyman #47. Most lever rifles have 20-inch tubes.

Have fun picking on the 'yotes.
Old January 9, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Quote:
Of course, double check everything. Not knowing me, you have no idea if I've been drinking, not mastered typing, joined a terrorist cell group, or all of the above. No sense tearing up a good rifle trying to make a .308 Winchester out of it.
No one said this is a good rifle.

Nothing against the lever .30-30 or Win94's in particular, but this one is a bit of a frankenstein.

Needless to say, I DO like my eyes and face right where they are, though. I am just happy that I have found light bullets loaded in published data to 2500+fps like I set out to do today.