The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1
phatspeed7x

DPMS rifles... Need reviews.

I'm in the market for a AR-15. DPMS panther rifles are looking like a good choice for what I'm looking for. They offer alot of different models, good price, and the are made in the USA right here in MN. I'm looking at the Lite 16 model because it has what I'm looking for. 16" barrel, tactical stock, flash hider, lite weight, and good entry level price. Snowball Mt. guns could special order one for about $650.

I would use the gun for target practice, varmint control/hunting, and home defence (lets hope I never have to use it for this purpose).

I have one question about AR with A1 style sights. Can you add optics with the A1 setup, or are you mostly limited to open sights?

Hopefully I should have the gun in a month or so.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
VUPDblue

there are a variety of options for mounting optics on A1 rifles. You can mount them on top of the carry handle, but forget about zeroing at less than 250 yards. If you plan on zeroing closer than that then you will have to mount the optic a bit lower. There are several options for this. Check out this link...http://www.operationparts.com/index.html
I guess it all comes down to what kind of optic you are going to mount...
Old January 9, 2006, 06:10 AM   #3
wayne in boca

I've had a Panther Lite for around two years.Great little rifle.I put a Leapers scope on it (mounts on carry handle,Chinese knockoff of a Colt,has bullet drop compensator,costs about $50.00) and it will shoot right along with my 24" heavy barrel Bushmaster up to around 300 yards.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:12 AM   #4
bikenjam

I own a DPMS panther arms 24" special. i also have there DCM upper to shoot in the local service rifle matches. The stock trigger is heavy, but for a plinking gun i wouldn't care. I put a jewel in mine, a very good investment. I have put about 2000-3000 rounds through my varmint upper and i am haveing some problems with the accuracy at this point. I can't get my groups any tighter that 9/10ths of an inch. Before i was averaging about 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards. The only time it has fail to funtion was when i shot some oylimpic SS109 ammo. The neck was so thick that it wouldn't fully chamber. I also became suck so i had to pound it out with a cleaning rod.

I am extremely impressed with my DCM upper from DPMS. I've had many groups around an inch at 200 yards with it while using a scope on the carry handle. Last time i was at our 300 yard range, i shot some of my 55gr. V-max reloads and had a 1 3/8" 3 shot group.

As far as putting a mount on a A1 carry handle, i don't have any expereince with them. If i were you, i would get the AR with the features you want, not just the cheapest one you can get.
Old January 9, 2006, 07:17 PM   #5
shooter_john

I have 2 AR's that are built on DPMS lowers, that I would not trade for anything. Both have been great guns, and I have never had any trouble from either of them. We are also issued DPMS M4's at the agency with which I am employed, and there have been troubles that I am aware of. I know we tested DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster, and ?Olympic? when trying to decide which package to go with, and DPMS from what I was told was the "hands down best package for the money." In my opinion that carries some weight, because we are a relatively "hi-speed" agency and have a good group trainers and firearms instructors who evaluated these guns.
Hope that helps!!!
Old January 10, 2006, 12:00 AM   #6
phatspeed7x

Thanks for the input guys.

Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait to get my AR. I've been doing alot of studying about the AR, and it's history. Very interesting stuff. I also watched black hawk down the other night to get some visual ideas of different tactical setups for the AR. I also e-mailed a buddy of mine who is in the marines, and he's going to send me a list of stuff he used to set up his rifle.
Old January 10, 2006, 03:09 PM   #7
trooper3385

I have a DPMS and it works great. I've never had a jam with any of the brands of ammo that I have used with it. Even if they are mixed in the mag. It shoots excellent groups. I mounted a leapers scope on the carry handle that has the bullet drop compensator. It's been a couple of years since I have shot it much, but the problem I had with the scope mounted on the carry handle was since the scope was so much higher than the barrel, it would throw off the trajectory. If I had it sighted in at 100 yards, it would hit either way high or way low at closer ranges. If I remember correctly, it was way high, but not positive on that. Another problem was this scope mounted with a single screw through the hole on the carry handle. Make sure you put some lock tight on it or it will loosen up after shooting quite abit. The plus side to it was you can still see the peep sights under the scope. I have mine sighted in at 100 yards and if I'm going to shoot closer than that, I use the peep sights. If I was going to buy another and mount a scope on it, I would go for the detachable carry handle on it or the flat top.
Old January 30, 2006, 06:45 PM   #8
.351winchester

I like the sharpened flash hider DPMS has, they still make them? They look like the best buy in AR's. I also prefer the A1 setup. Was looking at the lightweight carbine.
Old January 30, 2006, 06:59 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I built uppers from Panther Arms parts, does that count? One was a heavy extruded receiver for a 1.1" thick bbl and the other was a southpaw AR. Everything worked.
Old January 30, 2006, 07:55 PM   #10
ride-a-aug

Have a southpaw DMPS the only trouble I have had was with a few reloads that where too long , DMPS has a little shorter throat than Colt. Everything else OK. Good luck with your new rifle.
Old January 31, 2006, 09:38 PM   #11
hksigwalther

Have an older Lo-Pro Classic (non-chrome bolt) and an Extreme (now called the Super Bull 24). Both have been fine. Only problem i've had was with the Lo-Pro and it was ammo related. Was shooting Greek NPA through it. Serious chambering, misfire, and extraction (both fired and unfired) problems. Absolute crap ammo. Ran a box of Lake city and Wolf through it to comfirm it was not a gun problem and they ran fine. Both of these guns are thick aluminum uppers without a forward assist and I do have to say that on two occassion a forward assist could have worked. In those instances, I just ejected the round and fed the next.

As noted, the trigger is not the best. Dropped a Jewell in the Extreme and worked on the Lo-Pro internals myself (now a crisp 2 or 2.5 lbs, can't exactly recall at the moment). I've also since modded the upper of the plate shooting Lo-Pro with a ARMS #50C (to free float the barrel), JP gas block with rail, Yankee Hill front folder, replaced the EOTech 511 with a 512, ARMS #40L rear folder. The lower will also eventually serve as a platform for a .50BMG of some make later.
Old January 31, 2006, 10:06 PM   #12
RevoRick

I have a DPMS Sweet Sixteen. It is a great rifle and very accurate. I just wish I could find more places to shoot it.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Mark Horn

DPMS

I have a dpms carbine, I've had it for about 2 months and so far it has been great, fired around 400 rounds through it so far and not a single jam, I have a simmons scope mounted on the carrying handle and once I got it sighted in it was really accurate. If you want a flat top then you can buy a base flat top upper for about $100, and you can mount whatever you want on it and if you want a carrying handle then you can buy the detachable carrying handle or switch with the old upper that has the permenant carrying handle.
Old January 2, 2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Alden

Get the flat top and no front sight. You can add whatever kind of sights you want that way. DPMS Sporticle.

I added MI flip up irons, and an Aimpoint red dot on a quick release mount, which sometimes I change to a 3-9x 40mm Nikon scope on a one inch riser.

Old January 2, 2011, 10:07 PM   #15
geetarman

I have two. A DPMS Sweet 16 and an LR308. Both super rifles. The only thing I did to them was change the triggers out to Timney.

Geetarman