The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
BPShunter

Left eye dominant rifle shooting

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot shotgun off my left shoulder with no problem. I'm not a very experienced rifle shooter but I am going pronghorn hunting in Montana this fall. My question is can I shoot off my non-dominant eye since I'll be looking through a scope. I've been told that since I am only using one eye to aim that it doesn't matter which eye is dominant. This seems to make logical sense to me, but I don't know for sure. I've asked several people and I've been given several different responses. I have 20/20 vision in both eyes but my left eye is the one that I focus with. I have a specific gun in mind and it doesn't come in a lefty version so I'd like to shoot off my right side if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old January 8, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivers

You were told correctly; your non-dominant eye will work just fine when peering through a scope.
Old January 8, 2006, 08:32 PM   #3
BPShunter

Thank you!

Thank you for the reply! That's what I wanted to hear!
Old January 8, 2006, 08:33 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

I'm cross dominant also and have been shooting using my non dominant hand for a long time. One can train their non dominant hand to pull the trigger a lot better than they can train their non dominant eye, IMHO.

Same thing works for bowling.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:05 PM   #5
BPShunter

MeekAndMild,
I realize what you're saying is true and I shoot shotgun off the side of my dominant eye, however, when shooting shotgun both eyes are open. I've heard that when looking through a scope with one eye the dominant eye becomes a non-factor and it sounds like it makes sense.
Old January 8, 2006, 11:41 PM   #6
MeekAndMild

Just don't open the other eye.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 9, 2006, 12:58 PM   #7
gak

I'm left dominant and comfortable shooting only left-handed (off the left shoulder) -- but all my life have done that with right handed bolts (and a variety of shotguns, levers and autos) with no problems. Occasionally I think of getting a LH but then think "I've shot just fine all my life..." I'd continue shooting off the left shoulder but just get used to shooting a RH rifle -operating the bolt right handed - hey means you never have to remove your trigger finger from the trigger housing area! Also, means you're operating the bolt - or actuating lever/bolt in an auto - with your (I assume) more comfortable/dominant right hand. In levers, I operate the lever with my left hand.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:47 PM   #8
Ruger4570

I am right handed and left eyed dominate, The problem I have is not being able to close (wink) my left eys, so I learned to simply shoot left handed. Now holding a gun right handed feels strange. I can in fact shoot with a scope right handed, I just have to be sure I concentrate on the cross hairs too. Whatever works
Old January 14, 2006, 10:57 AM   #9
texfar

My better half shoots left eye dominate as well and has no problems with my rifles in righty. I have bought her some lefty rifles but it makes no difference to her.
Old January 14, 2006, 11:51 AM   #10
sparkysteve

I'm right-handed and left eye dominant too. I started shoothing left-handed after I couldn't hit a thing with my first BB gun at age 8 shooting right. I shoot handguns, rifles and my bow left-handed. I've always been told that any finger can learn to pull the trigger, but your dominant eye should do the aiming.

Dont tread on me.
Old January 14, 2006, 02:46 PM   #11
MeekAndMild

I ran across something really cool today in the Midway catalog, a set of Williams off centered rings which can be turned 180 degrees for cross dominant shooters. So a right handed left eyed shooter could use it to shoot a right handed rifle with their left eye. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=959690
Old January 14, 2006, 08:30 PM   #12
Logs

If you shoot from the hip it won't matter which eye is dominant.......
Old January 14, 2006, 09:29 PM   #13
BIGR

I am left eye dominant and shoot long guns left handed. I shoot pistols right handed but still use my left eye. I am right handed as far as hand writing. All my guns are right handed guns. The semi autos kick out the brass in front of my eyes. I have thought real serious about getting some left handed long guns but don't know if it would make much difference on the bolt guns. I noticed that there are a few left hand semi auto shotguns and rifles out there. Might try to get one of those.