The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 7, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
walt65

Do you like this too?

Yesterday was quiet and a bit boring. I took my three handguns out of the hiding places and decided to give them a therapeutic cleaning and polishing (therapeutic for me). I have a nickel-plated, Colt Python .357, a H&K P7M8, and a S&W 442. I especially enjoyed making that Colt shine like a mirror. I was amazed at how simple it is to fieldstrip and put the HK back together, and I talked to myself about how cool and compact my new 442 is. I took my time, lots of time. When I was finished I regretted having sold my shotguns and inline blackpowder rifle. I just get a kick out of cleaning and handling my pistols. It is a labor of love.

Last edited by walt65; January 7, 2006 at 03:54 AM.
Old January 7, 2006, 02:26 AM   #2
jrfoxx

I have to admit, when I havent gotten to the range for a couple weeks or so, I find myself admiring my guns, checking them, cleang them, and just handling them (safely and soberly I will add-not "playing" with them ). I love my hobby, I love my guns, and I love to just look at them, touch them, clean them and be around them aften, especially if I havent been able to shoot that week. Its a sickness, I know, but getting my fix is free, easy, safe, and hurts no one, especially me.
Old January 7, 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
High Planes Drifter

Once in a while I oil my pistols with a light oil patch. Not a bad idea to clean + oil your pistols once in a while, it'll give you a reason to handle them
Old January 7, 2006, 07:45 PM   #4
ShelbyV8

I always dry fire at least once a week. Keeps the hand strength and the muscle memory tuned.
Old January 7, 2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Webleymkv

I would definately enjoy the activity you described because that would mean I have a Colt Python and HK P7
Old January 7, 2006, 09:45 PM   #6
topspin43

12 step program?

I really don't get the handgun thing. I love mine also and all the ones I don't have. I have never had a hobby where I felt so obsessed. I shoot once a week. I play tennis 3-4 times a week. But I NEVER take my rackets out to admire/fondle. What is it? can someone give me an explanation? I play tennis but I eat, sleep, read and breath handguns. I am smiling happy just bringing home a box of WWB from wally-world. Am I sick?
Old January 7, 2006, 09:50 PM   #7
PATH

I think my wife really worries about me when I lavish attention on my firearms.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old January 7, 2006, 10:03 PM   #8
Ozzieman

Ok your all sick and your taking this thing with guns tooo far

Welcome to the group that I am proud to be one of
Old January 9, 2006, 01:31 AM   #9
rex

I'm with all of you, I enjoy putting on some tunes and cleaning a firearm. Something about it is relaxing and the time flies by.
Old January 9, 2006, 08:28 AM   #10
newworldCurmudgeon

Its a zen and the art of weapon cleaning thing

I was home on leave, didn't have time to go to the range, but that did not stop me cleaning them.......Then on the second part of leave I was at my parents house, and the same thing, I gravitated to the basement with my morning coffee, pulled out the cleaning supplies and went to town......part of it was just "memory recall" to see if I could still take them apart, and part of it, especially at my parents house was remembering the good times out shootin' with Dad. The memory thing on the ol ruger MK1 sure did take some time coming back though
Old January 11, 2006, 08:08 PM   #11
Daniel BOON

obsessed?

if playing with Handguns is obsessed, try reloading your own; the wife suggested once I try bow hunting; hunting is the easy part, try making your own arrows; obsessed? or posessed? if your not sure which is you, ask your wife.
Old January 11, 2006, 08:37 PM   #12
pickpocket

Welcome home..

Oh I love you guys....
I thought it was just me

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"