The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2000, 11:23 PM   #1
Brenda

I have a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact.I put a scratch on it under the slide stop pin.
What can I use to cover this up?
I have thought about ordering a Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch-Up Pen from Bushmaster.I know this isnt a permanent fix.
Old February 1, 2000, 11:58 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Well, I've been known to use a black Pentel...

Scratches happen. That particular scratch happens a lot. After 10 or 20 years, get it refinished, I guess...

FWIW, Art
Old February 2, 2000, 11:19 AM   #3
jimmy

Yes, unfortunately a scratch in this area is common. Touch-up blue might work okay if it could be confined to the scratch. The trouble is that bluing solution tends to flow into the surrounding area where it discolors the good finish, basically making the problem worse. So IMHO sometimes the best thing to do is to leave the scratch alone and consider it fair wear and tear.

BTW, I know a gentleman who applies blue to the scratches and dings on his guns with a pointed toothpick to confine the chemical to the immediate area of the damage. To my eye, his method works sometimes, but sometimes it doesn't.

YMMV.
Old February 2, 2000, 02:58 PM   #4
James K
Staff

It's like the first dent on a new car. You agonize, worry, figure repair costs, look at dent pullers and touch up paint, then finally say "to heck with it" and happily drive the thing for the next ten years, complete with dent.

Jim
Old February 2, 2000, 09:40 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Brenda, if you want to touch it up you might try Brownells 44/40. www.brownells.com It's instant, and looks pretty good. I had a customer in today with a single action revolver that he'd been having problems with. It turned out that he had assembled the center pin catch backwards but there were about 40 little dings and scratches on the underside of his barrel where he had been tapping(?)the center pin with something. He asked if I could touch it up after I turned his catch around. I used the 44/40 on it and it blended well. It did not fill the dings however but they are now black. Customer left with a smile and a thank you. The stuff works. George