The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 29, 2005, 12:56 AM   #1
springmom

.50 caliber circus

Lordy, there was a .50 caliber at the range today, and it was a sorry sack of sardines to watch.

I don't think the guy shooting it had been shooting much ever. He got to shoot what looked like a .38 special, a Kimber .45, and The Cannon. He eventually got to where he could consistently put his shots in more or less the same place on the target when shooting the Kimber. But the other two were just flat more gun than he could handle.

The .38 had CT lasergrips. While hubster and I took turns shooting our beloved Sig Trailside (already out of ammo for his new .45 and my .380 which I'm currently not speaking to, but that's another story) I watched this poor guy. The laser dot was all over the place, and the guy's grip was not real strong.

His shots with the .50 mostly did hit the paper, I think. Well, no... some of them hit the paper.

But he was a good sport: he handed it back to his buddy (who must have been the owner of The Cannon) and said "You know, I can't hit $&@% with this, but it sure is fun to make it go boom!"

That's the spirit

But it did put me in mind of our frequent advice to newbies, which IMO bears repeating again:

Shoot the largest caliber you can easily handle and accurately hit your target with.

The guy standing next to me had never seen one of these and asked what it was. I told him; he said "that would do a lot of damage!" Couldn't resist: I said "only if it hits something...." (I am sooooo bad). But as the hubster pointed out later, it's not really a question of it hitting SOMETHING, but rather hitting the RIGHT THING. If you buy a gun you can't control and can't be accurate with just because you think it's a "one-shot stopper" or some such, you may miss the BG and shoot into the schoolbus full of nuns that will, according to Murphy's law, be exactly where your mis-shot round ends up going to.

I found out today I can shoot hubster's new 1911 just fine, but I don't think he's going to let go of it very often for me to get a chance!

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 29, 2005, 01:05 AM   #2
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmom
But he was a good sport: he handed it back to his buddy (who must have been the owner of The Cannon) and said "You know, I can't hit $&@% with this, but it sure is fun to make it go boom!"
Yeah, that actually is pretty cool, a lot of times you see people get miffed when someone brings up the reality that they aren't actually hitting anything. Good stuff