The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1
markj

Where do I start on handloading?

I have loaded shotgun shells but no handgun shells. What is a inexpensive setup that would work with .38/.357 and maybe 9mm? Is there a great book for reference and instructions? I wish to be safe of course. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old December 28, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Ruger4570

Lee sells the cheapest reloading tools and dies. They also have a pretty good reloading book that can lead you through the process. There is plenty of others to choose from, the choice is yours and your budget.
Old December 28, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
JJB2

i'm prolly the cheapest (read brokest) guy on this forum...... i have a secondhand heavy cast BAIR c press and a LEE singlestage press on my bench... i use the LEE SPEED DIES to load .357 mag and .38 spls right now.. i utillize both presses as when i got my speed dies i got extra die bodies and lock rings.. also i got a custom bullet seater from LEE..... i can turn out very nice reloads on this setup......for the money LEE stuff is worth it......

LIFE IS SHORT..........
Old December 28, 2005, 11:38 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Reference & instruction books

Markj--THE BEST instruction book IMNSHO, is The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing. They are up to the 7th edition; they must be doing something right. (If you find an old 6th ed, that one is good too IMX.) It is an XLNT how-to and more importantly why-and-why-not-to kind of work. Lots of new tricks for both new and old dogs.

Best references for loading for pistol would be Lyman's 48th edition general reloading handbook, Lyman's cast bullet handbook, and Lyman's pistol & revolver reloading handbook.

Get 'em @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or the ABC's from the publisher www.krause.com

Do I sound like a salesman? Sorry, I have no financial stake in either publisher, except that of satisfied customer.

Now, after you've done reading the above, you'll be in a much better position to judge what kind of equipment is right for YOU to do yr pistol reloading. Enjoy.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 29, 2005, 01:11 AM   #5
6mm4me

Location: kansas city area at the present, but Colorado and Wyoming have been home. Lived 2 years in the middle east.
My thoughts

I use a 30 year old RCBS press that is still as tight as it was new. I use RCBS and Lee dies with a few Hornady and old Pacific dies still in use. Lee are the cheapest and work well. I have heard some bad comments on Lee press's. Most powder mfg. have load data on the net. I used a old Lyman load book for 20 years but as calibers changed I bougth a new Lyman manual to keep up with the new stuff coming out. Good idea to have several just to compare. Some books load hot, some mild, Lyman seems to be in the middle. If your going to load a lot it might pay to go for the carbide dies. I check Ebay alot but I haven't seen any really good deals on dies when you consider shipping and questionable condition of dies compared to buying new. Most dies/press's are interchangable unless you get exotic.
Old December 29, 2005, 05:55 PM   #6
drvector

great book

I 2nd Smokey Joe’s suggestion, get the ABCs of reloading. It’s a great book. I’ve read it and re-read it.

regards
Old December 29, 2005, 06:09 PM   #7
Dave R

I agree. Start with a book. At least one reloading manual. Lee's Anniversary Kit ($68 bucks at midwayusa.com?) include's Lee's manual, I believe.

You will find that manuals don't always agree. I found 2 manuals where the MAX load for .380acp in one was lower than the START load for .380acp for the other. Hmmmmm.

Anyway, read first. Then do. It would be nice if you could do a few batches with an experienced loader. But that's not necessary. I had a buddy talk me through a few things, but I mostly started on my own.
Old December 29, 2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Ares45

+1 on the ABC's. It's where everyone should start. Kinda like Reloading for Dummies. It covers the basics. It will help you get your feet wet without confusing the heck out of you. You'll also know what kind/type of equipment fits you best so you won't make an expensive mistake while shopping.

ABC's is NOT a load book. After you commit you'll need at least two load books. The more the better. I started out with three. Lyman, Speers, Hornady are all good choices. All available at midwayusa.com if you want to do some one stop shopping.