The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 26, 1999, 09:46 PM   #1
Bullmoose

I am wondering how it would work to apply some 600 grit Clover compound on the internal working surfaces on my CowboyII and rack it for 20-30 minutes to help the breaking in process? It seems that I was told at one of the short gunsmithing classes that I attended at Lasson College in Susanville, Ca that 600 grit doesn't really do any cutting, just polishes. I really do not know much about the Marlins, so it would be a lot easier than pulling it all down and stoning all mating surfaces. I realize I wouldn't get a $150 tune up this way, but since the trigger isn't too bad at all, maybe this and a little polishing of the sear with a good stone (wouldn't change angles or depth, etc) might be all that it requires. Too Rube Goldberg to be considered or just parsimonious timewise as well as monetarily?
This would of course be followed by a thorough cleaning and relubing. BullMoose
Old December 26, 1999, 10:45 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jim, I really can't comment on doing it that way. It should work but I haven't tried it. I normally disassemble, paint everything with dykem blue, assemble and work the action a few times, then polish the shiny areas including the inside of the frame with a hard Arkansas stone. All you want to do is get rid of burrs, rough spots and tool marks where the parts rub together. George