The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 16, 2005, 08:22 PM   #1
44magshooter

remington 7600/7400, poor mans assult rifle?

I was thinking of building a remington 7600/7400 as a "poor mans assult rifle". a 18.5" carbine in .308 or .30-06 with synthetic stocks by ATI along with a red dot or other good optic. Before someone tells me I should buy an AR ect. let me tell you, I don't like the way the AR handles, the m-14 is too big for my wallet and I don't like guns that look like they came striaght out of star-trek, ok i'm done ranting.

best regards
.44MS

p.s was also playing with the idea of a ruger deerfield 99/44 in 44 mag or a ruger pc-40 in .40 S&W to play with, man I wish someone made hi-caps for the 99/44
Old December 16, 2005, 09:01 PM   #2
ClarkEMyers

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't. But then we may define assault rifle differently.

For my money the Remington has been a great hunting rifle and I agree with Tom Haye's description in his books and the later models are nothing but better. Derattling the magazines and such are sometimes a good idea.

I wouldn't consider a short barreled .308 or .30-'06 as anything but a carbine for hunting. For my money an assault rifle is a full auto rifle with a lower powered cartridge.

I'd agree with the late Mel Tappan that the Remington is not an appropriate choice as a cheap main battle rifle.

Taken as a woods rifle with a red dot sight I'd expect to be pleased but as a tactical anything never.
Old December 16, 2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Big-Foot

I wouldn't want to bet my life on the reliability of these guns even IF quality high capacity mags were available for them, and they arn't.

BTW, I always thought the poor mans assault rifle was the SKS.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:10 PM   #4
kozak6

ATI doesn't makes a stock for either of those.

The 7600 is a pump action. Both of them only hold 4 rounds, and there are no hi-caps available. Both are somewhat expensive.

How is either one possibly a poor man's assault rifle? I don't get it.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:26 PM   #5
itgoesboom

Can get a FAL or PTR-91 instead, and you would be better off, and not spend a whole lot more.

I.G.B.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:31 PM   #6
mchgnmike

kozak6,

Any stock that will fit a Remington 870 12ga. will fit the Remington Auto/Pump Series rifles. So ATI does have stocks that will fit the rifle.

While there are not any high capacity magazines available there are several manufacture that do make 10 round magazines.

Eagle makes a plastic see-thru single stack 10 round magazine that will work but fitting is required IMO. The fit into the mag well is a bit tight and required light sanding to function well in my Model 742 .30-06. Triple K makes a wonderful 10 round magazine that is made of steel and works great out of the box.

Now having said this I agree that it would not make a great Poor Man's Battle Rifle but it'll do.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:46 PM   #7
dave0520

It might work, but it would definitely need a heavier barrel. Maybe a barrel that was fluted would help to dissipate heat and help with accuracy. A synthetic stock would also be nice, but it is not necessary.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:57 PM   #8
roscoe

There are a lot of better 'poor man's assault rifles' for the money, given the fact that the 7400 has a poor reputation for reliability. My understanding is that it is not designed for the average citizen who is going to spend weeks at a time with his rifle crawling through sand, snow, and mud securing his perimeter, firing thousands of rounds at a time. You could try other inexpensive rifles with slightly more military pedigrees:

SKS
Saiga (.223, .7.62x39, or .308)
Mini-14/30
Cetme
SU16
etc.
Old December 17, 2005, 01:15 PM   #9
44magshooter

By means of assult I meant more like defense, like a hurricane defense style gun. You CAN get steel 10 rounders. I already have the 7600 in 30-06, I like it becuase it handles and functions like my rem. 870 defense shotgun. remington also makes the 7600P and the 7615 for LE but are expensive. I don't like SKS's, mini-30's are ok but I dont like the mini-14, (I don't care for the .223 cartridge). the saiga is quite ugly IMO, and I don't really want it to look like an assult rifle, too many people freak out if it looks too "military".
Old December 17, 2005, 02:03 PM   #10
grimjaw

I don't like the SKS either. But I do like the cartridge it uses, so I went the AK47 route. The AR15 design is solid and some don't cost an arm and a leg, but IMO it's for people who like to clean things. I am not one of those people.

I'd go FAL if I was going to go .308 for a rugged defense role.

jmm
Old December 17, 2005, 02:33 PM   #11
BusGunner007

I know what you're thinking...

I've tried this on my Remington 7400 Synthetic Carbine in .30-06.
I, too, wanted to use this gun as 'the one' to do everything.
Here's what I've found out about my example:

The aftermarket mags aren't reliable nor do they hold the bolt open on the last shot as the factory Remington 4-shot mags do.
The factory mag's follower rises up to hold the bolt open and have been 100% reliable for me.

The gun has been 100% reliable for me and suprisingly accurate at 100-yds., as in 1-3" groups, depending on what ammo I used.

I mounted the Choate 870 pistolgrip buttstock by filing a small amount of material away where it fits into the action. It works very well and is a comfortable way to hold and use the rifle.

The gun is a great hunting rifle, but will serve for defensive purposes in a pinch, just don't misuse it as an 'assault rifle'.
It will be fine for keeping people at a distance, but is not a mechanical device meant for sustained rapid-fire.

I am glad I got the gun and made it look like it does in the picture, but I have since returned it to its intended purpose as a hunting rifle.
I put on a Bell&Carlson 2-piece standard configuration stock; removed the sights for a clean bbl.; put on the Redfield 3-9 Lo-Pro scope I bought for this gun; and decided to keep the Harris bipod adapter on the gun because it was carefully handfit to not contact the bbl. and it won't fit any other firearm I have.

I would recommend the 7400 Synthetic Carbine in .30-06 to use as a 'hurricane' or other disaster hold-off gun, but not as a 'battle rifle'.
Good Luck!
Old December 18, 2005, 01:08 AM   #12
slinger70

Sks

The 742 I had used to jam all to hell. It'd look like pick-up sticks in the receiver. I cleaned the crap out of it too. Had to let her go and try something else. I have had a couple of the sks rifles and never had a problem. Bullets were cheap, too.
Old December 18, 2005, 01:44 AM   #13
gdeal

Springfield Armory

Get a SoCom 16.
Old December 18, 2005, 11:52 AM   #14
BusGunner007

The 7400 was made to cure the particular jamming problem of the 740/742.
Old December 19, 2005, 04:53 AM   #15
Crosshair

I have a few questions.

1.) Has anyone heard about the new Remington autoloader? the 750 I belice it is called.

2.) Is it possible to convert a Winchester 100 to a larger mag. How reliable is this gun? (Yes I know about the firing pin issue.)

3. How easy is it to clean a 7400? I have heard that one must completely take it apart to clean the gas system.

Thanks
Old December 19, 2005, 07:01 AM   #16
Picher

Your pump is probably more reliable in an emergency than the 7400. If you lose your cleaning gear, the 7400, after firing, may get a rusty chamber and be out of action in a week. The cyclic rate is about the same with the pump and that pump sound scares people away without having to fire a shot.

Just my opinion.

Picher
Old December 19, 2005, 07:43 AM   #17
Jack O'Conner

A little over a century ago, North American settlers and adventure seekers did quite well with Winchester lever action carbines. They were chambered for somewhat anemic black powder cartridges. Yet the West was tamed.

Seems to me that any modern 44 MAG or 30-30 carbine is a capable weapon. The Remington rifles you mentioned are also good choices. Longer magazines available by EAGLE thru cheaperthandirt.com.

I hope you do not shoot anyone.
Jack