The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 16, 2005, 01:57 AM   #1
Minator

9mm 147 grain JHP and Fmj's armor/barrier penetration

on everyones tests and from many different stories the 147 grain 9mm round in fmj and jhp had signifigent armor/barrier penetration than many other rounds, my question is this round is more effective in penetrating and there is no such thing as knock down power then why is the military going to .45 and and the police to .40 when both are flatter rounds and less likely to defeat bodyarmor police use holowpoints anyway there for causing a largeer wound channel, and the military if they ever go against a well equipped army such as ours the shtf and they had to use there secondary weapon in cqc the .45 will hurt but not defeat the enemies body armor
Old December 16, 2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Ac1d0v3r1d3

check out www.theboxotruth.com they do a lot of tests on different kinds of ammo. Might help you answer some questions.
as far as i know our boys in the sand box dont have to deal with very many people wearing body armor, neither do cops. so thats not much of an issue.
i hadn't heard that the US military was switching over to .45's
where did you hear this?
Old December 16, 2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Minator

in reference to the the military switching somone had a link to a military weapons site and different articles from ar-15.com and glock talk they had refrenced from many different sites and im talking about if we take on an army as well equipped as us like china or north korea which they dont have as much technology as us but they do issue body armor and I know most of the rifles can defeat the enemies body but there is still a high probabilty in cqc you will use your sidearm and I read an article the other day about civilian body armor sales have tripled in the last couple of years , anyway not to sound like a armchair comando but I was just curious
Old December 16, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4
OBIWAN

The military like .45 over 9mm because they are limited to ball ammo

So...to get a bigger hole you need a bigger bullet
Old December 16, 2005, 11:03 PM   #5
IM_Lugger

it's not ture;

no one is going back to .45acp...
Old December 17, 2005, 02:49 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...The military like..." It's a non-issue for anyone in the military. The U.S. military went to the 9mm over 20 years ago. Very few troopies have ever seen any issue .45 calibre pistol.
Old December 18, 2005, 12:35 AM   #7
ShelbyV8

I personally like 45 but I don't beleave the military is going back to a 45 or a 7.62. The number of rounds that can be shipped and carried by troops is almost double with the 9mm and 5.56, pure logistics. None of the common handgun ammo will defeat level 3 body armor. The military is being issued level 3 body armor, a lot of it is being stolen and ending up in the hands of gang bangers and street thugs. Learn to recognize it and practice head shots and pelvic shots.
Old December 30, 2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Ac1d0v3r1d3

has any one actually been shot while wearing body armor?

i hear its like getting hit in the chest with a claw hammer.