The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2005, 03:59 PM   #1
Mikeyboy

Davis Derringer

I spied a davis derringer in a local gun store, and I was wondering are derringers safe for pocket carry and do they have transfer bars like revolvers to prevent Accidental discharge when dropped.
Old December 13, 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Sir William

Pass on a Davis derringer. I used to carry one as a last blast. They work OK but, they are just not what I would want. You could have a Bersa 380 instead.
Old December 13, 2005, 05:25 PM   #3
omegapd

I think Cobra bought out Davis but not sure. They look exactly the same to me...

I bought a Cobra a few weeks ago to play with. It's an Over/Under in .38 spc. There is a safety that blocks the hammer from falling and to thumb the hammer back takes quite a bit of effort, so I'm not concerned at all with it somehow going off in my pocket.

You do have to remember that the hammer has to be on half cock when loading the barrels or one of the firing pins will be sticking out. If you slam the barrels shut and the pin is out, an ND might happen...probably more so with a rimfire than a centerfire, though.

It's a lot of fun to shoot at the range and recoil isn't as bad as what I figured. Both barrels of mine shoot a touch high at 7 yards out when aiming for center mass.

So, overall, a lot of people hate them but I think it's well made, as safe as possible and fun to shoot.
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.
Old December 13, 2005, 06:01 PM   #4
RJay

I have three Davis Derringers, One in .22 just to play with, one in 22 magnum I carry with CCI shot shells I for Rattlers. and a .32 Acp I gave my daughter to carry in her car consloe. They are good little guns for the price and Yes Cobra now owns the tooling and they will stand behind amy Davis firearm. No they are not the ideal carry gun, but they are fun to play with.
Old December 13, 2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Javelin Man

Cobra

I bought a Cobra .38 sp for pocket concealment. I carried it only for a short while before getting a P32. I still carry the .38 in very rare cases as a backup to the P32. The .38 in derringer form is very hard to control and aim. The trigger takes two hands to even pull. Yes, half cock before you load.

The trigger is blocked by a safety so that part is safe.

On the other hand, if you can score one cheap, it is a cute novelty which can be used to shove up the nose of a BG to save your life if need be.

Many other better choices, but it is better than an insult.
Old December 14, 2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Mikeyboy

Thanks for the info guys, while it seems like a good "toy" , its sounds like it is not the best weapon for self defense. I need to slow down on my impulse gun purchases anyway with the holidays approaching.
Old December 14, 2005, 04:50 PM   #7
USMARINE2118

derringer

I have one , a 32cal but its more for fun than for ccw
there not very accurate. Its more of a gut gun {up close and personal}or its something to use as a last resort if all else fails

Henri Michaux