The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2005, 12:25 AM   #1
parrothead2581

Don't CCW...but want too!

Hi folks,
I don't yet CCW but would like to in the near future. The range closest to me fortunately offers the class. My question is this, does anyone happen to carry a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel? I have around a 31-32" waist. Would a pancake holster be the way to go? I do hope to get in the near future either a 2" 686P, a Sig P226, or a Sig P220 (I am also open to the compact versions of the latter 2). Any carry expreiences with either of those would be much appreciated!
Old December 12, 2005, 12:38 AM   #2
Capt Charlie
Staff

I haven't had the opportunity to say it yet, so 1st, welcome to TFL! There's literally centuries of experience spread between the members here, so I know they'll be able to help. That said, I'm moving your post to the General Handguns Forum. I think you'll get better response there .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 12, 2005, 02:01 AM   #3
grimjaw

I just got a holster for my Ruger GP100, which is very close to the size of a 4" S&W 686. I also have a 31" waist, so I'm close to your size there. The holster is a Bianchi, pancakish, but I can't remember the model off the top of my head. It allows for strong side or cross draw carry depending on which loop you use. Anyway, set for strong side, I can conceal it easily under a large jacket, because it rides so high. I'm very happy with it so far. It's a good road trip holster. For hiking and open carry, I'd probably choose something else, though.

jmm
Old December 12, 2005, 02:06 AM   #4
Overman

I used to carry a 4" 686 in a shoulder holster, when I could. When I couldn't, I carried something I could pocket.

Since I've gotten my 45 ACP model 625 in a 5" my 686 sits in the safe (don't get me wrong. my 686 was my first gun and would be my last gun, if I had to choose).

But still, whenever I want to carry something that size (4 or 5 inch revolver) it's a sholder holster. I have other holsters, but if I can't wear a sholder holster, I go with something I can pocket (like a snubnose). Trying to pancake or wear a hi-rider holster, or something, with a gun that size is just something I don't even try to do (even though I have a box full of holsters and could do it if I wanted to, I just dont wanna. I want to be able to relax and not worry about 'printing' or showing or whatever).
Old December 12, 2005, 02:05 PM   #5
dairycreek

I have, from time to time, carried my S&W 686P with a 4" barrel concealed, and IMHO it is not really difficult if you will buy a very good gunbelt and holster. I use a FIST #1 IWB clip holster on a double layer leather belt and it works just fine. I also carry the 686P in an HBE pancake holster but, once again, the defining factor is the belt. FWIW

GOOD SHOOTING
Old December 24, 2005, 10:58 PM   #6
Lucky 7

Being a skinny fella like yourself (155 and 5'9"), I find concealing the 686 in a verical shoulder rig is the easiest. The belt carry (inside or out) w/ this gun is difficult at best. Ive tried and failed w/ a pancake rig (went hunting w/ my Uncle Jim and even through the heavy jacket he asked "Wheelgun today?" ) so in the field (i dont conceal carry yet) its the shoulder rig all the way.

Regards and Semper Fi!
-L7
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old December 25, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7
blume357

I think you could easily get by with it

during the winter... A good ISWB leather holster might work too with the shirt out... but is a goodly sized pistol. I've got a S&W model 19 in 4" that I carry sometimes... but then don't skimp on holsters (note I did use the plural) on a fine gun like you have....
Old December 25, 2005, 03:02 PM   #8
Jkwas

let's see, hmmmm. Parrothead, are you in Florida? If I might suggest, if you're going to carry a revolver, it better be a 2-3in snub IWB. You can do this wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I've tried carrying something with a longer barrel, but it just isn't convenient. If it's not convenient, you're not going to have it when you need it. Inexpensive snubs are available from Rossi or Taurus. You can even buy some smith's for less than $400. Remember, it's not a range gun, it's a ccw. You carry it to save your bacon, not for tight groups.