The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2005, 09:34 PM   #26
FrontSight

Outdoor Life (Or was it Field and Stream?) ran an article about how the .270 is inherently unaccurate....

::Scrap dodges bottles and rotten tomatos::
Old December 12, 2005, 10:05 PM   #27
iudoug

Hey Rich.....

would you mind telling me the outfitter in Tanzania you used? I plan on going there on my next safari....always looking to guys that have been with someone..ps....do you belong to the safari club?....if so, did you submit a report?....Thanks, Doug
Old December 12, 2005, 10:58 PM   #28
impact

I know a guy that took his 270 to Africa. The biggest thing he shot was a zebra. Or I should say his wife did. He took five animals with the 270. Keep your game within reason and you should not have a problem.
Old December 13, 2005, 10:37 AM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Scrap, the problem with those sorts of magazine articles is that they don't match my own experience. Back when I was poor-boying things, I bought a Sears&Sawbuck bolt-action .270. Gave $70 for it. I put a good used Weaver K4 on it. On the bench I easily got five-shot groups of one MOA to 1.25 MOA. I started handloading and doing a bit of forearm tweaking, and cut a quarter-inch off the group size.

Ruinacious on Bambi, Wiley and the occasional jackrabbit. And one feral cat.

, Art
Old December 13, 2005, 05:54 PM   #30
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
Keep your game within reason and you should not have a problem.
Makes sense if you're willing to go over there, at a cost of $15k or more, and utter the words:
"Biggest Kudu you ever saw, huh? Yeah, he IS beautiful. Well, maybe next time."

iudoug-
Jean-Pierre(?) and Philippe LaTrive. Based in France.
J&M(?) Safaris.

I do NOT recommend them. The only thing that saved my hunt was the fact that I brought my own PH from RSA along.
Don't belong to SCI, because I'm not a joiner and not real big on measuring my kills.
Rich
Old December 13, 2005, 06:49 PM   #31
iudoug

Thanks Rich...but if I were you ...

I would start measuring....on that Mulie you shot!!! What a dandy....I am a life member of the safari club and have never measured anything for sci yet. Just doesn't matter alot to me as score goes....but I love the hunt.....matter of fact the PH I hunted with this summer in RSA almost cried when I told him I could care less about measuring the last Kudu I shot.....no world record but pretty darn big and according to him should go high in the book. The SCI convetion is so AWESOME I am sure you would love that....that and also members share their hunting experiences.....good and bad to help the next guy from getting burnt.....Doug
Old December 13, 2005, 06:53 PM   #32
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Doug-
The Taxidery report I have on my Eland, taken in 2001, shows it to be the 2nd or 3rd largest ever taken....so I'm told by my PH who begged me to join and report.

Impact-
How do you explain to your PH that you need to pass on this one because all you brought was a .270? Or do you just shoot him "behind the ear"?

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1Eland1.jpg (47.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 2Eland2.jpg (45.3 KB, 145 views)
Old December 13, 2005, 07:37 PM   #33
iudoug

GEEZ Rich...I don't think....

he is stretching one dang bit.....makes the one I shot look like a yearling!!! His top notch ( long hair on the forehead is just as impressive) What a beauty.....Eland are far and away the best eating thing in Africa as far as I am concerned, I have seen alot of Eland mounted...none in your class,Doug
Old December 13, 2005, 07:47 PM   #34
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
Eland are far and away the best eating thing in Africa as far as I am concerned
Never thought I'd be caught dead eating tongue of any animal. They insisted that I try it....one of the high points of the trip. Damn, that was good!

Agreed as to the rest of the Eland....VERY tasty.
Another memorable eat is WaterBuck....on my first two trips, they wouldn't cook it. They claimed the scent glands infect the meat and it's horrid. My last trip, Nadine Bosch said that was an old wives tale and cooked some up for us. Hoo-Haa!
Rich
Old December 13, 2005, 07:48 PM   #35
iudoug

Rich....not in the league of your

Eland but I think you will like this guy, Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kudu.jpg (129.2 KB, 47 views)
Old December 13, 2005, 07:49 PM   #36
FrontSight

Niiiiice!! Couldn't help but notice how close after 9/11 that was, too...dunno why I mentioned that, dates always seem to have a pre-post 9/11 significance to me now
Old December 13, 2005, 08:11 PM   #37
Rich Lucibella
Staff

iudoug-
Monster...simply a monster! Kudos!

Scrap-
Yup. I left, I believe, on 9/21...spent 4 interesting days in Dar Es Salaam, where my Muslim protectors refused to let me out their sights.
Rich
Old December 13, 2005, 09:48 PM   #38
impact

Rich the guy did not pay for the trip. It was a Christmas gift from his company. Can I say "Christmas" on the TFL? Or will I be banned
Old December 13, 2005, 09:55 PM   #39
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Christmas?
We LOVE Christmas, here.

But you still didn't answer the question....doesn't matter if the local FEMA Agency bought the trip because he'd had a tough Hurricane Season. They didn't dictate his choice of weapons, did they?

So, what's he do after 21 hours of bad flight and bad food when that trophy steps out. The answer is of real interest to me.
Rich
Old December 13, 2005, 10:12 PM   #40
impact

I don't know much about the trip. I do know he could shoot five game animals. The biggest was a zebra. He shot this one animal that had horns and was no bigger than a dog. The 270 worked just fine for what he was hunting.

This was about two years ago No FEMA around then. He has a pretty good job. I think Africa bit him on the butt because he keeps talking about these big guns he wants the next time he goes back
Old December 13, 2005, 10:58 PM   #41
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Impact-
You really should check your sources.
There is no such thing as a hunt where the PH would refuse you the opportunity to shoot other animals that took your fancy, for an additional fee. And EVERYONE shows up with a checkbook.

So, the question remains:
Now that you've arrived with your mouse gun, and caught "the bug" as you say, what do you say to the PH when a monster trophy steps out? "I only have 5 on the ticket."????? This is the stuff of their guffaws and campfire jokes after they finally get the "hunter" on the plane back home.

You've done this before, Impact. Suggesting to honest hunters, who are asking for info on hunts they've no personal experience with; you suggest calibers that would cause those that have been there to be embarrassed for you.

Wanna back off a bit? 'Cuz some of us are likely to pursue and embarrass you on your third hand information.....badly. The originator of this thread asked an honest question....answer it honestly; with personal knowledge....or just sit back and observe.
One of the cruelest things a hunter can do is to give someone else a bum steer based on what his brother-in-law's cousin's friend heard was the case. Nothing good ever comes of it.
Rich
Old December 13, 2005, 11:15 PM   #42
impact

Rich again you lost me! I'm going to call this guy and have him tell you what he did in Africa. Better yet have him post what he did on the TFL. Does that sound good? No thrid party stuff here!
Old December 13, 2005, 11:19 PM   #43
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
Does that sound good?
Not only does it sound good, but I thoroughly encourage it.
You might consider calling his wife, though, since according to you she was the hunter.

Thanks much-
Rich
Old December 13, 2005, 11:36 PM   #44
impact

Quote She was a hunter unquote. Rich what in the world are you talking about? I never said "was". She likes to hunt! Rich I get the idea you had one to many drinks! I have a rule! After three drinks I don't post.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:29 AM   #45
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Impact-
I'm not drinking; though if we continue this, I'll consider it necessary. Please don't be obtuse.

Here's the deal:
The original question is whether a .270 is good enough for Africa.

Your response:
Sure. Just pick the game carefully.
Hunting (especially Africa) is not exactly like ordering at Wendy's Drive Thru, Impact.

Your rationale for the .270:
Your friend's wife once killed a Zebra with one.

Your Promise:
To bring your friend here to explain, first hand, why the .270 is acceptable for Africa.

My Question:
Why not bring his wife on over. She apparently has the most experience.

In any case, we're waiting.
Rich
Old December 14, 2005, 01:10 AM   #46
impact

Sure! she is the type of girl that would like to chime in. They both went to Africa knowing what they were going to hunt. The 270 worked just fine! This was a hunt that was already set up. THY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO HUNT! They had a guide! Everything worked out just fine. I don't see the problem! From what he told me Africa has lots of smaller game to hunt. More so than big game. Never the less they had a real good time.

Rich! I don't BS nobody! You freak me out with these off the wall statements.

I would think if you went to Africa to hunt! You would know what you are going to hunt and take the proper gun to hunt with! NO!
Old December 14, 2005, 09:44 AM   #47
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
I would think if you went to Africa to hunt! You would know what you are going to hunt and take the proper gun to hunt with! NO!
Ummmmm, no; unless it were the Big Five, requiring special arrangements. For Plains Game, people may go intending to take, say, Wildebest, Impala, Kudu, Bushbuck and Warthog. When they get there, they realize how gorgeous the Sable are; or the Eland; or they run into a Monster Kudu like iudoug....in which case, the .270 is gonna be an expensive and embarrassing proposition.

No hunter I ever met went to Africa with a shopping list and stuck to that list.
But thanks for the input. Looking forward to having your friends chime in on their rationale for the .270, where they hunted, and what other game was available.
Rich
Old December 14, 2005, 10:06 AM   #48
mtnbkr

Quote:
Makes sense if you're willing to go over there, at a cost of $15k or more, and utter the words:
"Biggest Kudu you ever saw, huh? Yeah, he IS beautiful. Well, maybe next time."
That's probably the best reason to take more gun than you think you'll need on a hunt like that. I've never been to Africa, but it's pretty clear to me that it isn't like hunting in the mountains of Virginia where you can always come back next season for that "trophy" 200lb buck.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Winchester Featherweight 6.5x55 and am a decent, confident shot with it, but the first thing I'd do if given the opportunity to hunt Africa is to buy a larger rifle. I wouldn't risk that kind of money and opportunity to prove a point.

Chris
Old December 14, 2005, 07:13 PM   #49
iudoug

Always....Always.....

Go to Africa overgunned for several reasons....

1. As Rich stated...see something BIGGER you hadn't counted on but suddenly want
2. IF IT BLEEDS....You Pay for whether you find it or not...OUCH...An oversized ego could cost you several thousand dollars.....with no Pictures of animals to show for your money.
3. You CANNOT bring any meat back to the US....just the trophies....so dont be shy...put the animal down....you will only be eating some of it in Africa anyway..Doug
Old December 14, 2005, 09:01 PM   #50
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I've always been a "What if...?" sorta guy. What if I'm sneaky-snaking around after a kudu--which would probably succumb to a good hit from a .270--and something much bigger, with maybe teeth and claws or with great big hooves, comes around the other side of the clump of brush?

I really think a .270 rifle would make a lousy suppository.

Art