The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 6, 2005, 09:50 PM   #1
youngbuck

are the more expensive model any better then savage

somebody has probobly already asked this but I am new. Savage gets alot of good reviews and are priced good. Are the more expensive guns like winchestor or ruger eney better. also are the savages vary durable.
Old December 6, 2005, 10:11 PM   #2
fisherman66

You will be vary happy with your savage. Yes they are durable.
Old December 7, 2005, 03:17 AM   #3
marmark

I still have/hunt with my great grandfathers 300 savage. He died before I was born. Is that durable enough?
Old December 7, 2005, 04:12 AM   #4
Trxxx

Look after any rifle and it will be around and working fine long after you have gone off to the happy hunting ground.

Savage is a good make. So are the others you mention.

The concepts of "better" or "worse" are very subjective when discussing rifles. All depends on what your requirements and preferences are. No point in spending money on features that are irrelevant to you. On the other hand, considering how long a rifle will last you, you might as well buy the one you want to start with, rather than worrying about a few dollars on the purchase price.
Old December 7, 2005, 11:20 PM   #5
shureshot0471

there is only a couple of three rifles that cost mare than a savage that I would buy one is the good ole remington great all around gun plus rem. offers most every caliber then there is a Browning this gets to the premire of it all this is why the bolt and barrel I know of guys that have had guys their bownings for over 20 years and never had any problems with them at all the other is a sako very high class nothin beats a sako with good head gear but it will set you back like a couple of thousand dollars fer it but back on the subject I hunt with a savage and I get like 1/4 in groups with it so price olny kinda has its advantges
Old December 7, 2005, 11:40 PM   #6
TPAW

To answer your question, ABSOLUTELY NOT! Money does not by everything!
Many years ago I had an old Winchester that a neighbor gave to me when he moved out of state. The 30.30 lever action was a tack driver at 100 yards.
Like a jerk I sold it to help pay some bills. What a BIG mistake that was!
I realize that you were addressing a Savage (fine rifle) but Winchester is not top shelf either. Don't go by names, go by what it does at the range!