The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 1999, 03:11 AM   #1
Woody

One of our local Deputies came in today and wanted to know if you could install a heavy barrel on a 742. I told him that I have never heard of this being done. Does anyone know of someone who does this?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Woody
Old October 5, 1999, 07:09 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Woody, it can be done within reason and would require milling the bottom flat to allow room for the gas system/recoil spring as well as opening up the forend to accept the larger barrel. George
Old October 5, 1999, 09:15 PM   #3
Wallew

Woody,
Please reconsider. Don't do this. The main reason that Remington ceased making this firearm was reliabilty. You increase chances of problems if you deviate from an already suspect design. That's one reason why Remington no longer produces new 742 barrels/actions. In gunsmithing school, ALL my instructors called this the 'Jam - O - Matic'. I have worked on several and while they function OK, I have revised my opinon on working on them. They are now on my 'guns I won't work on' list. For me, it's a liability issue. I don't want to ever speak with the widow of a 742 owner (or worse yet, her attorney). Jim
Old October 6, 1999, 10:37 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Wallew, I have a 742K '06 which has never caused problems. It is not a regular "using" gun; just one to occasionally play with. So far it has been totally reliable, and groups fairly nice, around an inch at 100 yards.

Any idea what causes the jams?

Regards, Art