The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2005, 06:10 PM   #1
SrtDog

The Best Ankle Concealed Carry

Looking for everyones opinions for the best (and most compact) pistol for a concealed carry. The pistol is going to be carried on my ankle, and used as an "Oh Sh*t!" backup. I'm also looking for opinions on favorite calibers as well.

I'm leaning towards a Kel Tek P32 (32) or a Kel Tek P3AT (380).

I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
- General George Patton Jr

If you're going through hell, keep going.
- Winston Churchill
Old November 25, 2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Te Anau

The only gun I ever ankle carry is my P32.I hardly notice it.
Old November 25, 2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Pistolenschutze

My own suggestion, Srt, would be the old reliable standby, an S&W J-frame .38 snubbie, preferably an Airweight 637. If you don't want a wheel gun, consider the Beretta 3032 in .32 auto. Excellent quality and most reliable handgun, and a double/single action instead that that loooooooong, heavy DAO trigger pull on the Kel Tecs.
Old November 26, 2005, 12:52 AM   #4
dickfunk

Check this out ----> http://p64.home.insightbb.com/
Old November 26, 2005, 01:10 AM   #5
Massan

Theres a new pistol by Tarus called the Warthog(?) and its pretty damn tiny. Might wanna find a store that lets you try it out or so.
Old November 26, 2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Javelin Man

ankle

I have carried my snubby, a .38 derringer, and my P32 on my ankle. Only the P32 was light enough to keep me from limping, walking funny, etc. 6.6 oz. vs. 14 for my derringer, or 20 for my S&W.

You'll want as little weight as possible. It's just like an ankle weight in training. I recommend the P32 or P3AT. Keep it clean! All guns around the ankle will pick up a lot of dirt.
Old November 26, 2005, 11:12 AM   #7
USP45usp

The only gun that I had setup for ankle carry was a .44spl. made by Tauras. It was abit heavy but it felt alright to me. A small .38 revolver like the old charter arms undercovers would be decent.

Also, when you ankle carry, try different positions. I found that having it on the outside of my right leg (I'm right handed) was the best option for me and I could get to it quickly. I was really slow when it came to wearing it on the left inside leg and it was more comfortable to me to wear outside/right anyway.

edited: my bad, this is the semi forum... How about something like the Kahr in 9mm? I don't know how heavy they are but they do seem small enough .

Wayne
Old November 26, 2005, 02:10 PM   #8
RsqVet

Kahr's cna be very questinable, I have carried my glock 26 in my book on an ankle holster rig, I don't think I woudl try it with any gun without a boot on as I feel the extra support / retention is worthy it and the 26 was not too heavy --- heck people carry PPK's on the ankle and that's a chunk of metal.

I like the 26 or a snub revolver as others have mentioned for ankle duty becuse it or the revo are the only small guns I trust entierly when they are a little moist, dirty, linty, or so forth and belive me they will get that way down there --- the smaller autos --- PPK, sig 232 that I like as guns go, do get slightly uppity anytime they are not reasonably cleaned and oiled--- i.e. it's possible to shoot these guns to the point of being dirty and having reliability issues, that seems not to be possible with the G26 or other service sized autos I own --- atliest in a max of 1,200 rounds between cleaning, the 232 will go about 500 rounds then need a cleaning to cure the occasonal FTF, the ppk was like 250 - 300 but it was an old interarms one, so I would worry about reliability in small autos with them in the ankle carry mode.
Old November 26, 2005, 08:08 PM   #9
SrtDog

Good suggestions. I'm definately checking out all that were mentioned. I give a post when I decide and purchase.

MORE SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME !!

- Winston Churchill
Old November 26, 2005, 08:35 PM   #10
craigntx

warthog

the warthog is made by para (ordnance)
www.paraord.com

how bout a glock 26 for ankle carry
i had a 19 that'd fit in a cowboy boot, the 26 is 'course smaller
i could (& did) walk thru downtown houston with it unnoticed (this b4 the chl law passed)
Old November 26, 2005, 09:18 PM   #11
SrtDog

I was wondering why I couldnt find the warthog at the Taurus website.

The Warthog is still a little expensive for me. Checked it at www.budsgunshop.com and it's running around $600. I just bought a 700 CDL, and plan on buying the backup and spare(XD 5" tac) at the same time, so price will be a consideration.

I thought about the glocks. The glock 26 is still a little bulky. Still lookin for more suggestions on something that wont barely stick out at all on an ankle and dress pants. You know how ppl who are scared of guns (always out of ignorance) start freaking out when they see one.

Price and size is why the kel-tec's are still lookin good to me.

Pistol I did check out that 38 you were talking about. Beautiful gun. But a revolver, and a little heavy for me.

USP45, good suggestion on the outside strong hand carry. I already tried out a friends ankle holster, and thats where I'll be carrying it.

- Winston Churchill
Old November 27, 2005, 01:34 AM   #12
Blackwater OPS

I carry the S&W Airlite 342PD which cannot be felt or seen while on my ankle. I almost get nervous sometimes thinking it has somehow vanished. .38 +P is good enough for my of SHT backup!
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 27, 2005, 05:18 AM   #13
marshall2

P3AT is the right choice

You are thinking rightly about the P3AT. Very light, but substantial firepower.
http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal2.htm
Old November 27, 2005, 09:23 AM   #14
Javelin Man

choices

It looks like you have two very good choices: the Smith Airlite 342, and the Keltec P3's. I carry a S&W mod 38 at times, but never ankle carry. It's obviously too heavy which I don't need to tell you, but it is also rather fat. I don't think it would be discreet enough with the cylinder sticking out so much. If you're carrying outside the ankle, you'll want a little more protection against bumps to tables, chairs, etc. when you sit down. The Keltec line is very slim and more easily concealable.

If you can, try both in an ankle carry and walk around the store to see how they feel and print. Then make up your mind. All we can do is throw confusing advise to you; you're the one that has to live (or die) by your choice.

Myself, I'd stuff the Smith in my waistband holster, and the Keltec in my pocket. My derringer goes in my ankle holster though I've carried the Keltec down there. I also have an ankle holster for my Keltec P11. I don't know why I bought that.