The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2005, 10:37 PM   #1
duke66lima

What's considered a good shot group?

Particularly for AR-15 type rifles? I'm in the military, and a quarter-sized grouping at 25 meters is considered an acceptable zero, so long as the group is also on target. I normally shoot pretty tight at military ranges. At the local civilian range, the closest marked range for zero is 55 yards. I shoot about an inch grouping (5 rds) at this range with my Bushmaster 16" with bipod and Eotech. I would like to know what a good goal for 100 yard group would be. Thanks!
Old November 23, 2005, 10:54 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

That's not bad for a rifle that's not a match-target grade.

Something like the Bushmastger Match Target, 20" heavy barrel, with a fairly high-power scope can get five-shot groups from sandbags on a benchrest inside a half-inch at 100 yards.

Any rifle of whatever sort that shoots five-shot groups inside of an inch at 100 yards (nominally one Minute of Angle) will do quite well for anything outside of actual match competition.

My 2ยข,

Art
Old November 24, 2005, 12:06 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

From a rest, you should be able to keep them in 2" at 100 yards with a decent rifle, decent ammo and decent technique.

From a field position you can let that open up a bit, but I'd want to keep them inside 4" or so at 100 yards from any position except maybe offhand.