The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 20, 2005, 07:55 AM   #26
kymasabe

Situation #1: Well, unless I see a weapon I don't think pulling my own gun and firing would be justified.

Situation #2: Mugger flashes and threatens. The gunfight has already started. He just wasn't smart enough to draw and fire first. Hopefully a little misdirection (dropping my money) will buy a second or two for a clean draw. Then it's time to put my Hydro-Shoks to work in C.O.M.
Old November 20, 2005, 06:14 PM   #27
tanksoldier

#1 Draw weapon and cover the would-be mugger as I retreat to cover/ safety. Tell him that if I get shot at by anybody, he's dead.

#2 Draw and fire at Mr. Mexican Carry without comment or hesitation as soon as the weapon is presented and the threat is apparent. Do NOT wait for him to draw.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old November 20, 2005, 09:57 PM   #28
Duxman

Great input as usual everyone. Hope some folks have picked up a lesson or 2.
Old November 21, 2005, 09:18 PM   #29
Dwight55

+1 Tank Soldier

If need be, . . . toss the billfold toward the car, putting him between me and the car, . . . draw, back off, and survive.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 21, 2005, 10:42 PM   #30
DonR101395

"To be honest--in either case I would probably just hand over my wallet. I don't carry enough money or credit cards to make it worth risking my life, or the perps. As described, the situation doesn't make me fear for my life.

Does that make me a sheeple?"

+1
Does anyone besides me carry a drop wallet? My real wallet is concealed and my drop wallet has a couple of expired credit cards with the magnetic tapes destroyed, some old business cards I've picked up at various places, 5-10 dollars.

Sit 1. Hand it over he gets nothing of use and it gives me time to get a little space as he's going through it.

Sit 2. Pretend to drop it and get a little space as I draw. If he doesn't bite on the drop.........draw and engage.

Either way he is in posession of my wallet when the cops arrive.
Old November 22, 2005, 10:48 AM   #31
Duxman

Nice trick with the fake wallet. Although I hear sometimes it enrages the muggers even more.

Do you carry it with you all the time?
Old November 22, 2005, 12:31 PM   #32
GeorgeF

Is there an upper limit on what people consider "too much money to hand over?"

I would be upset about my wife having to give her wedding ring over, but I would be ENRAGED if someone tried to take my deceased father's watch. It's a Rolex he bought way back in the day when he was stationed in Vietnam (before gold went through the roof). There is no way on God's green earth I could afford to replace it and the connection to my father is irreplacable.

Or should I go with the idea that it's only an object and that my father would want me to take care of myself? It's a real tough one.
Old November 22, 2005, 05:02 PM   #33
Mister_Dinky

All previous posts aside with due respect, if you can't carry a firearm, a quick knife in the belly followed by a rapid departure should save the day on many levels. Accomplice waiting to shoot? Sure, and the check's in your mouth. BTDT.
Old November 23, 2005, 02:11 AM   #34
Bradbx

A friend of my sisters tossed a separate money clip with $50 or so and ran (spare wallet sounds good to). You may want to plan out where you'll keep it though, just in case they see you put the real one away (e.g., tracking you at a store).

If they haven't shown a weapon yet, maybe ask to see it? get them talking, offer a compromise with the intent of getting some distance? oh yeah, grabbing their weapon? might not be good to rely on anything with moving parts.

Probably still a good idea to keep your eyes on the mugger as they (or you) leave, I've read elsewhere of someone that handed over their wallet, turned and walked away (as instructed) and was shot in the back.

Driving around with someone doesn't sound good to me, too many things you're not in control of at that point, might be constricted by sitting down w/ a seatbelt. seems like the same situation, except you're in a box moving at speed. If you shoot him/her, you have your bullets to account for, and the other projectile: 3500lb car at 50fps? (dodge magnum might be appropriately named here).
Old November 23, 2005, 07:20 PM   #35
DonR101395

"Nice trick with the fake wallet. Although I hear sometimes it enrages the muggers even more.

Do you carry it with you all the time?"

Duxman,
Yes, I carry it always and you're correct about them possibly getting angered by the lack of cash in it. I try to keep at least $15 in it but no more than $25 usually in five and one dollar bills. It's only meant as a distraction to get space between you and the bad guy giving you more time to get on target or better yet satisfy his need to have someone elses stuff. If he takes it and runs great, if he takes it and rifles through it in front of you his attention is on the wallet and not you.