The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2005, 10:11 AM   #1
skipperJ

Reloading the 6.5 X 57

I need some loading information for this cartridge. My brother owns the rifle and lives in CA while I am in WV and have the dies for reloading. He has not fired the rifle for 20 years and now wants a couple of boxes of reloads. I only have one load for his rifle which he found written on a box of empty brass.

That load is 34 grains of 3031 with a 140 gr. Hornady bullet. Does anyone have any other reloading data for this cartridge? I made the brass for him by necking up .257 Roberts brass. I also need to know an overall length of casing and bullet. Yes, it would be nice to have the rifle here so I could seat the bullet to an exact depth just out of the lands and grooves . . . but I don't. Loading informations is identical to the 6.5 Spence Special so if anyone has loading info for that caliber please let me know.

Thanks
Old November 13, 2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Gewehr98

Your 6.5x57 Mauser chambering isn't really too different...

From the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, you've basically got an extra 2 millimeters of case length over the latter chambering.

You can safely use any 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser loading data as a starting point, and work your way up watching for pressure signs. If you're loading for a large-ring 98 Mauser or modern Remington/Winchester/Ruger action, you've got one heck of a nice long-range cartridge on your hands, way ahead of the .260 Remington (aka 6.5-08) and nipping on the heels of the 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 chamberings.

For case trimming length, use the 7x57 Mauser numbers. For seating depth, that's a function of the box magazine in the rifle (if it has one) and how deeply throated the barrel's rifling is.

Neural Misfires
Old November 14, 2005, 02:35 AM   #3
kcoop9999

6.5x67

If I remember correctly--Hornady lists this caliber in their manuals. Sending Handloader article by e-mail.
Old November 14, 2005, 07:50 AM   #4
skipperJ

Many thanks

Gentlemen, thank you, thank you for the valuable information. I appreciate it very much.

kcoop9999, a special thanks to you for the research and the email to me. That is everything that I asked for and more.

skipperJ
Old November 15, 2005, 04:23 AM   #5
kcoop9999

Glad to help! Hope you find a load that works good for you. I'm a big 6.5 fan myself with 6.5 Jap-6.5x55-.264 Win Mag and looking into building a .256 Newton or 6.5-06'
Old November 15, 2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

I shoot a 6.5 Roberts. My top loads are about 2 grains under book top loads for the 6.5x55. The two cartridges are very similar, but the Roberts cases have slightly less capacity. AA-3100 is my usual powder.

Ken Waters did one of his excellent workups for 6.5x57 Mauser in the Jan-Feb 1989 Handloader. It should also be in "Pet Loads". His COLs were 3.00 to 3.06".

Here are some of Waters's loads:

125 gr Nosler Part. max load 47.0 IMR 4831
129 Hornady near max 46.0 "" ""
140 Sierra max 46.0 " "

Loading for a rifle that I did not have on hand, I would cut those loads 2 grains, set COL at 3.00", and hope for the best.
Old November 16, 2005, 04:43 AM   #7
kcoop9999

Ken Waters 6.5x57 article

Didn't look far enough down the index. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll send Skipperj a copy asap! I've always admired Mr. Waters. No matter what the cartridge, he always goes the extra mile and writes the most complete articles I've ever read.
Old November 16, 2005, 09:14 AM   #8
skipperJ

Thanks again

The article by Waters is excellent and very helpful. I have sent all of this information to my brother so he can decide what he needs to do. For me to continue reloading this cartridge for him he will need to send me the rifle so I can properly work up a load and then then send him back the rifle and at least 100 rounds of loaded ammo to shoot. Or he can find a local in the L.A. area who will reload for him. In any case he needs to have custom reloads as I feel sure that this rifle has a long throat which was the way they manufactured them back then.

Thanks again for all the help.

Here are some pics of the rifle.

http://members.tripod.com/~fishhook_2/6.5.html

Comments about the rifle from my brother: " Here’s how I got the 6.5 x 57 rifle. Do you remember Bob , the gun trader. He came to my office one day with this nice civilian sporting action with octagon barrel and double set triggers in an awful homemade wooden sporting stock. I suspect some WW II soldier brought it back and the original stock was somehow ruined. I bought it from him for $50 and then sent it to Bishop in Warsaw, MO for the correct style American walnut stock with steel fittings. (This is in the mid 1960's) It is a large ring civilian Mauser action with no maker’s marks. The barrel is marked “Krupps Laufsthahl”. I’m not sure how we figured out that it was a 6.5 x 57 mm. I would assume that it was made and chambered for the original 6.5 x 57 mm round commercially available in Germany at that time. "