The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 9, 1999, 02:23 PM   #1
Rodmann

I have a John Inglis High Power that isn't acting properly. With the hammer back, safety on, I press the trigger and the hammer falls to what looks like halfcock. Is the "safety" the problem? And if so will a Browning or FN safety work, or do I need a specific safety made for the Inglis High Power?
Thanks for the help,
-R
Old June 9, 1999, 05:40 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Without examining the gun, I couldn't tell if the safety is defective or some other part is. Any HP safety should work, but for collectibility a genuine Inglis safety should be used. Check www.gunandknife.com and go to the Other British Military Weapons forum. There is a discussion of the same point (by you?) and a fellow selling Inglis parts.

Any new safety will have to be fitted.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited June 09, 1999).]
Old June 10, 1999, 08:54 AM   #3
jimmy

As usual Jim is right on target, both as to interchangeability and the use of historically correct parts. I might add the following, in case it would be of interest, from R. Blake Stevens' book on the BHP.

In 1966 FN issued a "List of Assemblies and Parts of F.N. Origin Which Can Be Considered as Interchangeable with the Same of Canadian [i.e., Inglis] Manufacture." According to FN's list, the safety is interchangeable as an assembly, although "minor adjustment may be required." The safety assembly consists of the safety, safety stud, safety pin, and safety spring.

FN's list covers interchangeability only up to 1966. At that time, FN noted that "subsequent modifications may entail certain alterations." However, subsequent modifications, if any, must have made little or no difference, since Jim advises that any HP safety should work.
Old June 10, 1999, 11:58 AM   #4
Rodmann

Thanks for everyone's help on this matter. Since my Inglis in an import, I don't believe that installing a "old style" FN part will lower the pistol's value, though I believe that I have located an original Inglis safety. I recently purchased the pistol because it came with an original 1944 stock in excellent cond. The Inglis is very nice as well, all numbers match and the only import mark is stamped on the barrel. I will locate a new HP safety and have a qualified gunsmith install.
Thanks again.
Old June 10, 1999, 02:43 PM   #5
Rosco Benson

It sounds as if the current safety is no longer making good contact with the sear (pivoting it firmly into the hammer's full cock notch). It could be that the safety or sear are worn, it could be that the sear pin or the hole for it in the sear or the frame are worn. If the the sear and sear pin (and the holes) are okay and the sear is pivoting without excessive "wobble" or slop, then the problem might be able to be fixed by peening the stud on the thumb safety which engages the sear so as to displace some additional metal toward the sear so as to tighten up this fit.

Rosco

P.S. - If you find yourself in need of a replacement safety, I have a mid-1970's blued Belgian one in the parts box you can have for $20 shipped (stud, pin, and spring installed)