The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Detective_Special

Glock factory upgrade, should I ?

I have an original older glock 17 2nd gen that has not been upgraded with parts that include trigger bar, firing pin, extractor etc.. It functions great, is very reliable. and the trigger has a butter smooth take up. I feel that since it works fine, why bugger it up with the Glock Factory upgrade. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks
Old November 4, 2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Joven

Leave well enough alone. If you got one that's flawless I wouldn't monkey with it. Just my .02.
Old November 4, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Gastonite

I wouldn't "upgrade" it if it functions great today...

I actually posed this question to the folks over at Lone Wolf Distributors. One of the owners and I had a fairly good conversation specifically around whether you should or should not add the upgraded parts. In his opinion, and he as been shooting Glocks since 1986, he would NOT add the upgrade if your pistol shoots fine today. The upgrade is still considered a recommendation by Glock, but it was clearly needed for a rare number of them. If you own an older Glock, chances are that by now some of the kinks would have been noticed, meriting an upgrade. If it functions fine today, though, I wouldn't want to mess up my buttery trigger pull for an upgrade that will most likely add no benefit to your firearm.

The owner of Lone Wolf persuaded me to save my money, and unless I was having serious problems (slamfires, etc), he recommended against it. I appreciated his frankness and willingness not to charge me for an upgrade that in all honesty seemed unnecessary.
Old November 4, 2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Detective_Special

Glock Upgrade

Thanks for your input, I feel the same way, but I had to have some other opinions.