The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 29, 2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Dust_Devil

Which of my guns for IPDA/USPSA?

Which one of my handguns would be best to get started in any class of IPDA or USPSA wihtout any major modifications, if any?
I don't want to buy another gun, just want to see if I can start out with whatever I have. I also prefer shooting stock, rather than adding fancy dot sights and stuff.

I have a Beretta 92FS 9mm, a Springfield Armory .45 1911A1 V12 (ported barrel), and a Glock 23 .40.
I'm not sure if the ported barrel of the V12 makes any difference since it is factory, but was also wondering if I just put inb a regular barrel if it would then be considered okay.

My favorite is actually the Glock 23, but I don't know if a compact gun is considered "normal" or "acceptable" for competitions

All guns are factory stock.

So which gun would be best to start out with and for what division and class.
Old October 29, 2005, 06:43 AM   #2
HSMITH

I would shoot the Glock in Production class.
Old October 29, 2005, 01:39 PM   #3
rapier144

i would go with another barrel for the springfield thats what i would do. it should be ok to do that because glock 35 have the slide notched out for weight reduction.The glock 23 may be too small to use becauase they have a minium size rule a think
Old October 29, 2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Chris W

Starting competition can be a bit unnerving, and you probably ought not make it any harder than it needs to be. For that reason, I'd start with the Beretta. 9mm in a big gun will shoot gently, you'll have a full-size sight radius, and I know you can shoot the 92fs in SSP for IDPA, and expect it should be okay for Production in USPSA.

If you shoot a ported gun in USPSA (can't shoot ported guns at all in IDPA), it will put you in 'open' division, where you'll shoot against race guns--.38 supers with tuned compensators, c-more red-dot optics and 140mm magazines holding 28 rounds. If you had a non-comped barrel for it, you could shoot it in CDP for IDPA and Limited in USPSA.

The Glock would be a good gun to shoot for practical practice, and you could do that in either game--though a compact gun is a disadvantage in either. Not a bad idea, but perhaps not the funnest or most reassuring experience to begin with.
Old October 29, 2005, 08:05 PM   #5
DT Guy

For IDPA, you'll need to avoid the ported barrel. (Although most clubs will let you shoot for an 'unofficial score' as a new shooter with irregular equipment.)

I would suggest bringing your Glock if that's what you shoot best. Much of IDPA is about weapon handling (draw, reloading, movement) rather than actual shooting, and the gun you're most comfortable with will allow you to focus on your gun handling skills without the distraction of remembering how to work your blaster.

Just my .002, of course.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old October 30, 2005, 01:10 AM   #6
model 25

I use IDPA for training myself so I take what I carry, 1911. Do it like it's real.

Old October 30, 2005, 07:50 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

one may use IPSC for training, too

Cannot decide for you, but my decisions:

Caspian 1911 /Springfield 1911 /EAA Witnesses in 40 S&W, 41 AE, and 45 ACP - LTD 10

EAA Witness in 9x19 - LTD

(2) 357 Mag GP-100's (4"), 5.5" Redhawks in 357, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 7.5" 357 Mag Redhawk - Revolver

A33102

IDPA? I used my 41 AE Witness, and once the 9x19.
Old October 30, 2005, 07:58 AM   #8
Old Shooter

Of the 3 guns, your Beretta will be the most appropriate and competitive in either sport in the correct division.

While you can get away with any of the guns as a new shooter for the first time, the ported barrel on the SA does not work in IDPA and would place you against race guns in USPSA. The compact Glock just is not as competitive as the Beretta will be.

The Beretta, being a heavier gun and shooting 9mm, will get you back on target faster and due to the longer site plane, should be more accurate. Remember that the name of the game is speed and accuracy.
Old October 30, 2005, 02:37 PM   #9
Dust_Devil

I suppose the Beretta 9mm would be the most appropriate and since I would be new to the competition I don't think anyone expects me to come out with the best .45 out there. Start out easy with the 9mm makes sense.
Yeah, so for the reasons just to get into competition, see how well I like it and then see how much I stick to it should determine if I would buy a better gun, the minimum 9mm Beretta should do to start out with. I can always bring my other handguns and see if the organization I would shoot at would or wouldn't recommend them and also see what the other shooters are shooting.
Old October 31, 2005, 08:10 AM   #10
Oct_97

I'm not familiar with the Beretta, USPSA Production requires the first shot to be double action.
Old October 31, 2005, 08:28 AM   #11
HSMITH

I have been there and done what you are asking, that is why I recommended the Glock. The shorter sight radius isn't the big deal some are making of it. The main advantage is a consistent trigger pull. Most people, like 99%, absolutely choke on the DA/SA transition of guns like the Beretta and waste the first two shots. The potential to gather penalty points is very high in those first two shots also.

If you don't reload the Winchester white box 165 is a pleasant shooting and soft load.
Old October 31, 2005, 08:42 AM   #12
Chris W

Quote:
I have been there and done what you are asking, that is why I recommended the Glock.
Imprecise, HS--I've also been there and done that (as, I expect, have some of these other respondents), and recommended the Beretta for different reasons.

I shoot a 17 myself, and absolutely agree about the value of a its simple, uniform trigger; just a question of the balance of different virtues, I guess. Either way DDevil decides to go, I'm sure he'll do it more than once and try every suitable gun he has.
Old October 31, 2005, 11:07 AM   #13
ryucasta

Beretta 92FS 9mm
Can be used as is in the following divisions
USPSA Divisions Production, Limited and Limited 10 (Scored Minor)

IDPA Divisions ESP, SSP

Springfield Armory .45 1911A1 V12 (ported barrel)
USPSA Divisions Open (Not Advisable due to the round count and lack of optic)

Can be used with a non ported barrel (Slide not an issue)
USPSA Divisions Limited and Limited 10
IDPA Divisions ESP and CDP

Glock 23 .40.
USPSA Divisions Production, Limited and Limited 10 (Production is scored Minor )

IDPA Divisions ESP and SSP

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old October 31, 2005, 04:43 PM   #14
Old Shooter

Quote:
Beretta 92FS 9mm
USPSA Divisions Production, Limited and Limited 10 (Scored Minor)

IDPA Divisions ESP, SSP
Unless I'm mistaken, the Beretta has a decocker and although legal, there would be no purpose in shooting it in IDPA ESP division. You would be shooting against guns that start single action while you will have a double action first shot. So ryucasta is correct but it's just not practical.
Old November 1, 2005, 10:46 AM   #15
Eghad

I am thinking of using my SA national match 1911 in IPSC or my other SA 1911. IN IDPA probably one of my 9mms. I plan on taking it slow till at the start, running the courses slowly till I get in the groove.

NRA Life Member
Old November 7, 2005, 12:43 AM   #16
Jeff22

IPSC and IDPA competition

"Running the courses slowly until I get in the groove" is an excellent way to approach competitive shooting!!

I've shot both disciplines occassionally at the local level since the first IPSC club began in this area in 1977.

I'm a cop and almost always compete with whatever my current duty gun is. Most often recently I shot with a Sig 226 in 9mm. Once in a while I would compete or reshoot with my Beretta 92FS, which was my duty gun as an SP in the ANG. (I actually shot slightly better with the Beretta, I think because the axis of the bore is slightly lower in relation to your hand than with the Sig. The Sig has a scootch more muzzle whip).

The Beretta would work fine in "production" class in IPSC and "stock service pistol" class in IDPA. 9mm ammo is CHEAP right now, so you could afford to shoot it a LOT to develop your proficiency. Beretta also makes a dandy .22 conversion unit for the model 92 for cheap practice.