The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
GunMac

Browning Hi Power vs. Beretta 92 fs

I am looking for my first gun and have it down to either the Hi Power Mark III and Beretta 92 with the vertec grip. The caliber will be 9 mm.

These guns are tied in my mind and was looking for some advice as to why I pick one over the other. The only negative I have heard is the hammer on the Hi Power pinches your hand. If this is a problem I would like to know about it.

Thanks,
Old October 15, 2005, 06:59 PM   #2
wayniac

Hello!
I've limited shooting experience with the Hi-Power, but it has always been very good to me. Hammer bite can usually be alleviated by getting the ring or 'commander' style hammer they install on the Hi-Power Practical. I too checked out the 92 Vertec, but found that the 'short trigger' just feels wrong. It breaks way past the point where my 92FS releases the hammer and I honestly thought the sales guy had handed me a broken pistol when I first checked it out. I've read that this can be fixed by installing a regular 92FS trigger, but Beretta hasn't confirmed that for me yet, so I would take that as an 'internet rumor'. After considering the same two pistols you're talking about, I chose a standard-issue 92FS (PIC) and have been nothing but happy with it over the last 3 year--and several thousand rounds. I honestly think you would be well armed with either, but I made my final decision on these three things: cheap, plentiful full-cap mags; double-action trigger; and the unbelievable ease of disassembly. Probably the best thing to do would be to find a range that will let you rent both guns, or borrow a friend's. That way, you'll know for sure which fits you best. Good luck and be safe.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry
Old October 15, 2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Marko Kloos
Staff

They're both fine, reliable guns. It all boils down to which one works better for you, but I would feel well armed with either. I guess it depends on whether you want a double-action pistol that can be carried with the hammer down, or a single-action pistol that ought to be carried cocked and locked.

The Browning fits my hand better, and it's a classic design for a reason. I'd go with the Browning, but whichever way you go, it would not be a bad choice either way.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old October 15, 2005, 08:01 PM   #4
tshadow6

If you are used to single action semi autos, go with the Browning. Either way, both pistols will serve you well.
Old October 15, 2005, 08:48 PM   #5
BreakerDave

The BHP has a great grip, good trigger, and I believe its dimensions make it more practical as a carry gun. In contrast, the Beretta while reliable has a less than stellar trigger. Also it is sort of bigger than it needs to be for a pistol chambered in 9mm and that makes it less than an ideal choice for a concealed carry gun.

As far as the BHP's hammer goes, I've never been nipped by the BHP's standard hammer. However, if that is a concern for you, you can switch it out with a commander style hammer (as already suggested) or have it bobbed. You can visit Cylinder and Slide to see some of the options for replacement hammers...

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/
Old October 15, 2005, 08:56 PM   #6
jrklaus

I have no experience with the Beretta...

so take this for what it is worth: I sure love my Hi-Power! I expect that the comment that you can't go wrong with either one is correct.
Old October 15, 2005, 10:09 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

These two guns are not very similar. I find it odd that you have narrowed the field down to two such different pistols.

The guns are quite different in size, radically different in terms of trigger operation and very different in terms of how the safeties operate.

I would think that when you determine what you want in terms of size, trigger operation and safety style, the question would be answered for you.
Old October 15, 2005, 10:16 PM   #8
BobK

I've owned both. Hi Power was by far superior. Wish I still had it. Have you looked at CZ?
Old October 16, 2005, 03:32 AM   #9
Doogle

As previously stated, these are quite different handguns..>

...and it is interesting how you have narrowed it down to these two, (of course, simple personal preference has alot to do with our choices in the end). If you haven't already tried them out at a range I think that would be advisable. I tried every pistol I could get my hands on in deciding and ended up with my first choice, the HP. I even gave the polymer pistols a run. Along the way I shot the Beretta 92FS and Brigadier. They are significantly larger handguns than the HP. I have smallish hands and could barely reach the double action trigger on the Berettas, (that may not be an issue for you). The single action trigger reach was fine but was heavy on the 92FS and ridiculously heavy on the Brigadier. People talk of the poor triggers on unworked HPs, but my experience on various examples has indicated that they are pretty good even with the magazine disconnect in place. They certainly aren't akin to a well-worked 1911 trigger, but that would be expecting a bit much. I dislike the slide mounted safety on the Beretta. In fact would choose the Taurus version, (PT99 or similar), with the frame mounted safety.

The HP just fitted my hand better than any other pistol with the exception perhaps of the 1911 models. I found it easy to shoot well. I have the standard tang hammer and have not experienced hammer bite, (with my example or 2 other HPs I have shot with the same hammer).

In the end I think either pistol would serve you fine, as long as you assure yourself that the weapon suits you and has the features you desire. Compare the two and then if they are still close, go with your heart. After all, the hobby has to be enjoyable!

Old October 16, 2005, 04:05 AM   #10
plom

both are two great guns. I had them both for a time! The advantage of the HP is that you can carry cocked and locked, it's more compact and thiner for concealed carry. You can send it to Novak and get a very reliable gun out of it look at it: http://www.novaksights.com/Gun%20Sho...#Special%20Ops

http://www.novaksights.com/browning.htm

On the other hand, a lot of armorers I know love the HP but say this gun is not as strong at all as the beretta is... And much more ammo sensitive! that's why Novak propose a 3reliability package". One thing you must to know tough,the HP is a very fine and reliable gun, but all the units who were issued HP35 guns used to change them every 15000 rounds.Take them both in hand. Personnaly, I will opt for a 92FS.
What about a CZ75?It's a great reliable gun, based on the HP. It's compact, very strong, you can carry it cocked and locked too if u want, it will eat all the 9mm ammos u can get and hold 3 more rounds than the HP.
Old October 16, 2005, 11:03 AM   #11
Mike40-11

Biggest problem I have with the Beretta is the safety. Can't reach it with my thumb in a normal grip. In fact, I always carried it safety off for just that reason. Other than that, no complaints.

I do prefer the ergonomics of the BHP though.

Either will be good guns, go with the one you prefer the feel of.
Old October 16, 2005, 03:24 PM   #12
michael t

Browning Hi Power Beretta 92fs :barf: :barf: just my .02
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old October 16, 2005, 04:37 PM   #13
briang2ad

Take your time...

It may be that that is what you have seen thus far, and need to shoot and look further. As stated above, they are radically different guns with different lockup, materials, trigger, safety etc. They are proven designs, but much different. The best place for Hi Power information is:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

Berettas are very reliable guns with a large, had filling grip. I find the decocker/safety awkward as all get out. A similar setup with the same design and lockup, but much simplified safety is the Taurus 92.

Make sure you know what kind of safety you want first - then see what gun you like best - shoot some if possible. A DA/SA with C/L capability like the CZ 75 or the Taurus 92 may be a good mix.
Old October 16, 2005, 08:55 PM   #14
ICE1210

Browning, Browning, Browning, Browning!!! For me, the .40 BHP is one of the most comfortable, accurate, and reliable handguns I own.
Old October 16, 2005, 09:02 PM   #15
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

I own both.
Old October 16, 2005, 11:19 PM   #16
TC-TX

Browning HP

You will love it... you will never regret it...

Eagle Scout 1975
U.S.M.C. 1978-84
Commercial Pilot
Texas CHL Instructor
Certified Flight Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
Old October 16, 2005, 11:29 PM   #17
IM_Lugger

I’d definitely go with Beretta, never saw the appeal of the HP :barf:. Beretta is rather modern but proven reliable and handgun, HP is the first hi capacity 9mm. Also I personally don’t like SA automatics esp in 9mm...

Btw I don’t get the size thing (when people say that Beretta is huge bit the HP is OK); the HP itself might be a little shorter, but the grip size is not any smaller in fact I find it too large for me while Beretta fits me just right.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:26 AM   #18
Scope

Beretta

I own a Beretta 92FS and have been very please with it, although I have only put about 300 rounds through it. Still, it seems very reliable and the ergonomics are great. It fits my hand almost perfectly and I really like the slide mounted decocker/safety. Its also easy to maintain, which is a plus.

You did not say why you wanted to get a gun. Is it for self-defense, or for target shooting?

If it is self-defense then I would definitely go with the Beretta. I believe the BHP is SA (correct me on this if I am wrong), while the Beretta is SA/DA. Its just personal taste, but I feel more comfortable having a DA gun for SD. That way I can leave it decocked but know that it is still ready to go.
Old October 17, 2005, 04:28 AM   #19
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

I have both and the Beretta's grip (at least mine) is definitely larger than the HP grip.
Old October 17, 2005, 05:17 AM   #20
The British Soldier

The British Army has been using the Browning since pre-1940; we issued it to Paratroopers and later it spread throughout. It is a fantastic, simple 9mm pistol that is extremely reliable and can take a lot of punishment. I believe it is over engineered.
We shoot 2Z through it, which was designed for 9mm submachineguns and is rated +P++; it handles it well.
The hammer does not pinch you if you hold it correctly and the ambidextrous safety is great, it comes on and off smoothly. You can confidently carry it cocked and locked.
My only critique of the Browning was its magazine, which I found likes to be looked after; if the lips become distorted it can lead to feed stoppages. Many people forget the humble magazine - it is an integral part of the system.
The Mk.3 has great sights; just add pachmayr grips and you have a pistol that is suitable for most purposes.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old October 17, 2005, 05:37 AM   #21
GunMac

As expected both the Hi Power and Beretta have loyal fans.

The main reason for the purchase is self defense. Hopefully I will only get to use it on the pistol range.

Now for a newbie question:

As far as single action isn't that only on the first shot? For the second is there any difference between single and double action.

Hopefully I will able to rent both at a range. It seems like either would be a good choice.

Thanks for all the info.
Old October 17, 2005, 07:31 AM   #22
stevelyn

Browning Hi Power vs. Beretta 92 FS

Apples and oranges comparison. You should probably rent and shoot both before deciding.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:09 PM   #23
xtrarnds

If you can, test fire each and see which one works better for you. If no test fire is available, handle each one as much as you can to see which is a better fit for you. My personal preference would be the BHP
Old October 17, 2005, 01:06 PM   #24
Alaskanmonte

Browning Hi-Power without question. Owned a Beretta, sold a Beretta. Own an HP and bought another HP.
Old October 17, 2005, 04:33 PM   #25
Alerion

Quote:
As far as single action isn't that only on the first shot? For the second is there any difference between single and double action.
Correct! Assuming that you are starting with a round in the chamber and the hammer down on both guns, the single action must be manually cocked before it can be fired. releasing the hammer is the single action performed by the trigger. The double action is in reference to the ability to both cock and release the hammer with the trigger so a double action pistol can be fired from the hammer down position.

After the first shot is fired both the single and double actions remain in a cocked position so there is no longer any difference in firing them. What will change is that the double action trigger pull will then be shorter and lighter, for all practical purposes the same as the single action. The energy to cock that first shot had to come from somewhere and in this case it was from your finger by means of the longer, heavier trigger pull.

BTW, a double action only (DAO) does not fully cock itself after it is fired (although some are partially cocked). So a DAO will always have a longer, heavier pull. While that may seem to be a definate disadvantage (and we're getting into personal preference here) some people prefer a DAO because the trigger pull is always consistant and the longer pull is commonly used in lieu of a manual safety.

Tom
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill. -John Prine, Paradise