The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2005, 07:55 PM   #1
Mokumbear

AMT Back Up .380 and hollow point ammo???

I have had an AMT Back Up .380 for a long time now.

It fires FMJ ammo flawlessly.

Recently, I tried some hollow point rounds and they would not even chamber.
(Gold Dot, I believe).

I seem to remember reading something in the long since lost manual that one might have to bend outwards the end of the magazine to allow hollow point ammo to feed properly.

Does anyone know anything about this?

If not, what would be a good choice of FMJ ammo for my "mouse gun"?

Old October 8, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
kikilee

Back up

Your manual can be found here. I briefly glanced through it, but didn't see any mention of the hollow points.
Good luck

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.......LUKE 11:21 NIV

A child of the King should have a family resemblance.

"Let's Roll"
<><
Old October 8, 2005, 09:06 PM   #3
MillCreek

Hmm, in my AMT DAO Backup in .380, it feeds and fires Winchester Silvertip JHPs and Federal JHPs flawlessly. Is your backup a single action or double action only?

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old October 8, 2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Mokumbear

Mill...

I gotta confess, as many times as I read about DA and SA and DAO, I get hopelessly confused!

This pains me to no end, perhaps someone can explain it to me "so a
five year old could understand it"!

All I know is:

I rack a round, pull the trigger, "bang", pull trigger, "bang", "rinse and repeat".

Old October 8, 2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Ozzieman

We sold hundreds of backups

And every now and then we had them come back and in most casses the rap was pollished and they worked after a couple hundred rounds with out fail.
Yours sounds a little strange to me.
If there was a magazing problem it was normaly just replaced, I dont remember hearing or reading anything about the disctiption you stated.
Single action, like a cowboy gun you have to pull the hammer back each time to fire the gun.
Double action, with the hammer all the way down pulling the trigger pulls and releases the hammer to fire the gun, or you can fire it single action, it allows you to fire a gun both ways.
DAO is double action only.
Old October 8, 2005, 10:33 PM   #6
omegapd

I can't offer much with the feeding problems, but if it's an older AMT Back-up (the tiny one with the smoother trigger than the DAO one) cheaper than dirt sells extra mags for it. You might want to try another mag before you go butchering up the one you have...

www.cheaperthandirt.com

EW
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.
Old October 8, 2005, 10:42 PM   #7
JMag

The SA BackUP I owned for years needed a throating and polishing to feed hollowpoint ammo. IIRC, it was only Hydrashocks that were problematic after the smithing as they tended to be a bit too long for the mag.
Old October 9, 2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Slater1601

I have a .380 backup DAO also and it so far has feeding problems with Federal Hydrashoks, which seems to be all I can find around here....I have never had a single problem with Winchester ammo, so I found a guy who has a box of Winchester Ranger hollows he is selling me for $20. Once I get them, I'll let you know how they do.
Old October 9, 2005, 12:32 PM   #9
MillCreek

I routinely do a polish on the feed ramp and barrel throat of all of my semi-automatics, if they don't already have one. I suspect that the original poster's problem has to do with overall length of various brands of ammunition. I just dug out four different brands of .380 ammo that I happened to have on hand: Federal JHP, Winchester Silvertip JHP, Winchester FMJ and Remington FMJ. I note that some of this ammo dates from the 1980's.

I very scientifically (I knew that MSc in chemistry would come in handy some day) lined them all up in a row. You can clearly see some differences in the overall length of the cartridge, with both JHPs being longer than the FMJs, and the Federal JHP being a little bit longer than the Silvertip. Each cartridge fit within my 'go-no go' .380 reloading gauge, so they are all within minimum specs, but again, some brands are longer than others.

Particularly on the smaller pistols, of which the AMT Backup clearly is one, chamber or magazine dimensions may be constructed to fit the minimum specs and nothing longer. This issue is by no means limited to the AMT, since many pistols or rifles will not feed cartridges of greater overall length than specs. I once had a Detonics Pocket 9 that was notoriously finicky as to which rounds it would feed and a friend of mine has the same issue with his Warthog .45.

MillCreek
Old October 13, 2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Slater1601

I'm all for doing a polish, but does anybody have any idea how to get the Backup apart? This thing is a pain to clean being as it doesnt have a slide stop. And that manual doesn't help much, especially since my Backup is the one with the two external safeties. Any idea Mill?
Old October 13, 2005, 03:32 PM   #11
MillCreek

Ah, so if your backup has the grip safety and the external safety on the slide, it is a single-action backup. The link above to stevespages, and then click on 'AMT Backup' will download a PDF of the DAO Backup owners manual. The manual may be of some help insofar as if I recall correctly, the DAO and the single action did a field strip in a similar fashion.

I think you had to drive out a roll pin in the breechblock located in the slide. The pin goes from side to side. Once the pin is out, you use a rod (I used a cleaning rod) from the bottom of the magazine well to tap the breechblock free of the slide. I believe the slide will then be free to slide off the frame. This will give you access to the feed ramp and barrel throat. To reassemble, replace the slide, seat the breechblock back in and tap it down with a soft mallet. Replace the roll pin and you should be good to go.

Since doing the field-strip is a pain in the rear end, when it comes to cleaning, I merely swab out the barrel, chamber and chamber face and give the chamber a good shpritz with BreakFree CLP.

MillCreek
Old October 13, 2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Slater1601

Wow, I would have never guessed this thing would come apart that easy. I had it apart in about 45 seconds. How about some pointers on polishing the ramp Mill? I've never polished anything before so I'm a newb
Old October 13, 2005, 04:29 PM   #13
MillCreek

When it comes to polishing the ramp and barrel throat, I am a proponent of the 'slow and steady wins the race' school of thought. I have heard way too many horror stories about inexperienced people doing damage with a Dremel or other power tool. Yes, you can do the job 20 times faster, but you can also make an error with blinding speed as well. Of course, there are many people far more experienced than me who do wonderful, professional polishing jobs with power tools.

I myself use emery cloth in a variety of fine grits, available at hardware and auto supply stores. I usually use a small piece of a fine grit cloth and, maintaining the existing contours of the metal, rub and polish until the metal is smooth and shiny. I polish the feed ramp in an up and down direction, and the barrel throat in a circular direction along the outer circumference of the lower portion of the barrel. I then take a piece of the finest grit and polish until the metal is as smooth and shiny as a mirror. I then clean the area to remove any residual grit or metal filings. This usually does the trick for me. I have not yet had a situation in which this has failed me. If it did, and I needed to have the actual barrel re-throated, or the feed ramp re-contoured, I would take it to a professional, since that is beyond my competence.

Other people use steel wool, or felt polishing tips and pad with polishing compounds or rouge. The emery cloth method has always worked well for me, so I have not seen a pressing reason to change it.

MillCreek