The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 20, 2005, 10:32 PM   #1
FLA2760

Re Police Officer of the Year in Parade Magazine Fierce Gunbattle

Hi Everyone
The Parade magazine in this past Sunday's paper featured an Orange County Fl. deputy (female) that was picked by the Fraternal Order of Police as Cop of the Year. I am sorry that I am not posting her name as the wife threw the Parade magazine out when cleaning. So, I will refer to her as deputy #1 and the other three deputys as 2,3, and 4 .
A woman was about to back out of her driveway in the family van to drive her two children to school. A car appeared out of nowhere and blocked her in. Two gunman charged the van one of them jumped in and drove the van back into the garage with the kids still inside. At some point the woman got out of the van and the frantic 911 call went out. Deputy #1 and her partner also a female (trainee) rolled up on the scene at the same time as deputys 3 and4. The hysterical mother was screaming save my babies. The one BG had fled into the house and the other BG in the van with the screaming kids started firing on the deputys from the inside of the van. Deputy #1 said I gotta get those kids and she charged into the gunfire and made her way to the driver side front of the van. The BG made it out of the sliding side door on the passenger side of the van all the while shooting at Deputy#1 as he advanced on her position. With the adrenaline dump deputy # 1 did not realize she had taken numerous rounds; she kept her Glock.45 barking.One of her rounds found its mark in the BG, I think a torso hit. He retreated a few steps and slumped down with his back against the garage wall and was still firing. Deputy # 1 was screaming for the kids to lay down on the van floor. She crept around the passenger side front of the van and engaged the BG with her last round. He fired back;his round tore into the shoulder of deputy #1s shooting hand. Immediatly her arm went numb and her now empty Glock.45 hit the garage floor. Deputy#1 said "I am not dying in here" and did a combat reload.Using her one good hand she put the magazine in while holding the Glock under her shoe. She disengaged the slide stop by running it against her gun belt. As soon as she did this BG #2 ( the guy who was in the house) came out firing on her. She got him TWICE IN THE HEAD with her weakhand as she was blacking out. Get this HE HAD TWO .45 SLUGS IN HIS HEAD AND HE STILL WAS ABLE TO RUN OUT OF THE GARAGE AND SHOOT DEPUTY # 4 IN THE SHOULDER! Wonder what he was on? Anyway Deputy #1 was shot something like nine times! It turns out that this was all drug related. Deputys found a large amount of cash and drugs inside the house. The kids were not hurt. If you have the parade magazine check it out and please excuse any errors or ommisions on my part as it is from memory, (remember the wife threw out the magazine) Anyway I thought it would be an interesting post. Two .45s in the head and still wired enough to shoot another deputy as he ran out of the garage! KUDOS for her! This all went down in like 50 SECONDS!

Steve

Last edited by FLA2760; September 20, 2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old September 21, 2005, 05:17 AM   #2
mete

Contrary to popular opinion being shot in the head is not a sure thing! Many have survived because the bullet glanced off the skull .Of course being high on drugs makes things more difficult too.The lesson here is ,with great credit due the deputy, don't just stop because you're hit. Keep shooting until it's over !!
Old September 21, 2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Lion In Winter

Big Kudos to her trainers!(and her upbringing, she definitely is not a "can't we all get along person.) They taught her well and she paid attention!
Old September 21, 2005, 08:19 AM   #4
308Enfield

Congratulations to an amazing officer, I hope she recovers and is able to return to duty.

2 .45s in the head and still coming? I don't doubt that it happened, but its certainly a good argument for people who tell me I've got too much gun carrying a .44 magnum out on the farm in case we run into any meth heads; it sounds like a 240 grain jacketed hollowpoint, if anything, may be too little. Anybody for moving the police to .454 Casull or .500 S&W magnum? (OK, the very last part was said with some sarcasm, but in all honesty, I don't want to mess with anything you can't drop with a .45.)
Old September 21, 2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Baba Louie

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=1
Link to article FLA mentioned
http://officer.com/news/2005/copoty05.pdf
the .pdf file
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 21, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6
dolanp

Why that just can't be true... we all know that if you shot someone with a forty-five they'd fly back ten feet and die twice.
Old September 21, 2005, 11:16 AM   #7
Webleymkv

Quote:
Two .45s in the head and still wired enough to shoot another deputy as he ran out of the garage!
The only place that a person will simply drop dead instantly when they are shot is the brainstem. Even if you are hit in the temple you will at least convulse on the ground for a few seconds before expiring. A relative of mine is a Sheriff's deputy. He picked someone up one night and didn't manage to find the North American Arms Mini-Revolver concealed in the suspect's shoe. The guy attempted to shoot the officer but because he was handcuffed and forgot to move his head, shot himself in the temple. The bullet cut both optic nerves and blinded the man for life but he did live. The officer has unharmed (although rather shaken).
Old September 21, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Harley Quinn

Grazing and no entry Id say

Again we have a story that has been related and put into the pile of misinformation supplied by the big shoot um with my 454...Ok, why is it we have so much of this?

All shots to the body do not kill, all shots to the head do not kill. Newspaper article.

I would sure like to see the report as written from the on scene coppers.

More then likely they were grazing shots, the 45 is known for that on harder objects. 9mm might not have been a grazer due to the different velocity. So many variables and so much misinformation it is really hard to define what is the truth and what is fiction.

Heck of a story though, tough lady. She is what legends are made of. I am glad she is getting on with her life.

Harley
Old September 21, 2005, 12:22 PM   #9
Derius_T

All I have to say is that she's one tough cookie, with a heart like a lion, and is a true credit to her profession. (and to human beings in general)
Old September 21, 2005, 12:41 PM   #10
Capt Charlie
Staff

Yep. The human body is tougher than it looks, and one-shot kills aren't common. The link below is video proof of that, but in this guy's case, it just wasn't his time to go.

http://www.filecabi.net/v/file/cameracrewshothead/wmv

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 21, 2005, 01:44 PM   #11
FLA2760

Re Police Officer Of The Year

Hi Everyone
I neglected to mention in my post the article said that the Deputy is now back to work and has also recently got married. Good for her!
Steve
Old September 23, 2005, 06:16 AM   #12
N.H. Yankee

I have learned by watching fear factor that the female is quite a bit more tougher than we give credit for. I do not believe they are the weaker sex, in most ways equal, only muscle mass is less in most cases.. I think that we have been programmed to see woman as weak, fragile and that they all wear pink and play with dolls. Woman have come out of their shell and have shown they can compete on most levels with men and in some areas excell over men. I think some times our ego's are threatened as we have been programmed that we must protect the feable helpless female.

Perhaps the mother instinct came into play and observing nature you never come between a mother and their offspring. I think that they made a outstanding choice in picking this brave officer who kept her cool where most would have panicked. I think she disgraced the officer who recently ran and deserted HIS partner who was being shotup. This female officer is not only a hero, but an example of what a real L.E.O. should be.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:54 PM   #13
Sulaco2

Great story and great combat cop. Strange Parade magazine ran the story they are an organization pro total confiscation of guns in the US. Except of course I suppose any gov goon....