The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 20, 2005, 11:33 PM   #26
MRex21

Hindu push-ups will strengthen your entire upper body, with emphasis on your shoulders, triceps, and forearms. This will give you a much more stable platform to fire from.
Old September 21, 2005, 08:24 AM   #27
Slateman

What are Hindu pushups? Better question: Why are they called that?!?
Old September 21, 2005, 08:28 AM   #28
NRAhab

Run, a lot, to build cardiovascular endurance.

As far as actual excercise goes, you're not lifting for power/bulk so you want to do lighter weights at higher reps. Get a good mix of different workouts going so that you're not doing the same 6 routines every day.

Start your workout routine as follows M-W-F do 20 minutes of light cardio as a warm up, then stretch out.

Mondays, do a mix of chest, arms and back, keep the reps high.

Wednesdays, do a mixture of abdominals, legs, and little chest/back work.

Fridays, do an all around, hitting the legs, chest, arms, back, and abdominals.

Tuesdays and Thursdays do at least 30 minutes of cardio work to build endurance.

Take Saturdays and Sundays off.
Old September 21, 2005, 12:06 PM   #29
MRex21

Hindu push-ups:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

They are brutal at first. However, the results build up very fast.
Old September 21, 2005, 12:33 PM   #30
Paintballer

I have been a weight lifter for over 10 years now, and I know that your body needs balance. Any resistance training is good for you, But to just do upper body or arms or one area is not going to do much for the whole system.
Full body work outs 2-3 days a week are the best for staying in shape,
Weight lifting is another story.
I would suggest 20 minutes of walking or moderate cardiovascular excersise before doing 30 minutes of moderate weight training. There is no need to be in the gym for 2 hours.
Just my 2 pennies.
Old September 21, 2005, 01:06 PM   #31
CobrayCommando

Yeah, thats why I recommended wrist exercises, and forearms are good too, simply because you can't really bulk up enough there for your core/upper body not to be able to stabilize.

The warmup time seems a little excessive, I do 5-10 minutes at 70-80 percent heart rate for about 1:30 of weights and 30 of cardiovascular afterwards... But I'm not doing extremely intense weight lifting, I'm not a body builder, and as I understand it the more intense your workout the longer you should warm up, so perhaps your suggested warmup time is a bit long?
Old September 21, 2005, 03:14 PM   #32
Derius_T

I sometimes wear the little velcro wrist weight thingies. They look like sweatbands, and come in various weights. Super easy to get on and off. Someone once suggested one of those martial arts finger excersise things. I don't remember what they are called, but it has 5 little metal rings attached to a metal frame with heavy springs. You put all your fingers/thumb in the rings, and try to close your fingers. VERY tough at 1st. Seems to help though after the cramps go away.....
Old September 21, 2005, 07:52 PM   #33
tsavo

"Run, a lot, to build cardiovascular endurance.

As far as actual excercise goes, you're not lifting for power/bulk so you want to do lighter weights at higher reps. "

That is the biggest myth about bodybuilding. Doing lighter weight for higher reps isn't going to "tone" or do anything to build strength. If you want to build strength/muscle train in the 4-8 rep range.
Old September 21, 2005, 08:01 PM   #34
meanoldman

What I do is hold a quart of beer in each hand fully extended. First to the front--after five minutes drink from the right one--then hold them to the side-- after four minutes drink from the left--in front again --continue to do reps until the beer is gone then start over.. Don't do this at the range.

David

Working up to lifting kegs and shooting pistol grip shotguns in each hand.
Old September 21, 2005, 09:03 PM   #35
CobrayCommando

Thats bull**** tsavo.
Old September 21, 2005, 09:54 PM   #36
tsavo

Actually, no-it's not. I've been bodybuilding since I was 18-how about you? Why don't we both post pictures of ourselves and then he can decide who to take training advise from.

Doing light weight for high reps serves no practical purpose as far as building muscle, strength, or "toning". People tend to think toning is acheived by doing light weight for high reps, which has absolutely no truth behind it. The only way to look more "tone" is to reduce your body fat% which is achieved by eating in a caloric deficit.
Old September 22, 2005, 01:34 AM   #37
MEDDAC19

The best exercise you can do to improve your shooting is this one. Index finger curls with the triggers on the handguns that you use. You don't have to do hundreds of reps for endurance, best to do at least 25-50 reps weekly, more if you can afford the gym fees. Once you have started these exercises, you should notice improvement in a few weeks. If after several months, you still are weak, and don't improve, a personal trainer is recommended.

tsavo:
High reps with lighter weights builds endurance.
Old September 22, 2005, 07:35 AM   #38
tsavo

The same endurance can be achieved with heavy weight for fewer reps. When it comes to muscles endurance is basically the same as strength. If your muscles are weak having all the "endurance" in the world isn't going to do you any good.
Old September 22, 2005, 07:45 AM   #39
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsavo
The only way to look more "tone" is to reduce your body fat% which is achieved by eating in a caloric deficit.
Which is exactly what high reps of lighter weight will do... Not only are there more cardiovascular benefits, but it also burns calories - thereby reducing your body fat% - and therefore making you "tone".

Are high reps of lighter weight going to "build muscle" - no it's not going to add to the circumference of your arm or leg per se. But it can burn fat which will tone your body.
Old September 22, 2005, 08:25 AM   #40
NRAhab

Everyone is correct. Doing 4-8 reps at 75-95% of max weight will build strength and increase size. However, doing 8-15 reps at 40-50% of max weight will increase strength and generate a better cardiovascular working, decreasing overal body fat and leading to a more toned appearance.

However, weightlifting alone isn't enough. You need regular cardiovascular workouts to maximize the effectiveness of your weightlifting. Run, and then run some more.

Of course, when it comes down to it, why don't you go talk to a personal trainer, or another fitness professional before you listen to a bunch of howling buffoons on the internet.

Last edited by NRAhab; September 22, 2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old September 22, 2005, 09:21 AM   #41
tsavo

I'm sorry trip, but you're wrong. Lifting heavy weight for lower reps is IDEAL for cutting or bulking. Mainly because...

1. It burns just as many calories as doing lower weight for more reps. Your body exerts just as much energy to lift heavy weighs as it does lighter weight for more reps.

2. When cutting is absolutely essential to lift with heavy weights in order to maintain your muscle mass, or as much of it as you can while eating in a caloric deficit.

3. Losing body fat is 90% diet and 10% training. You can do all the cardio in the world but if you're not in a caloric deficit you aren't going to lose weight.

By the way, I am nsca and acsm certified so all this isn't coming out my ass. It's understandable some of the claims you're making because they are very common myths.
Old September 22, 2005, 10:50 AM   #42
NRAhab

My point stands. You want a good workout routine, the internet is the LAST PLACE YOU SHOULD EVER GO. Go a certified professional, at a reputable gym. Although I loathe the big chain gyms, 24 Hour Fitness is a good call.

Because invariably, when you ask for advice on the internet, it turns into 2 goons butting heads over their opinions.
Old September 22, 2005, 11:59 AM   #43
tsavo

The things I've posted are not opinions. They are facts- based on the laws of thermodynamics and physiology.
Old September 22, 2005, 12:18 PM   #44
NRAhab

Uh huh. Funny how I've got a book full of "facts" that says otherwise.

Thus, my point has been perfectly illustrated. I honestly don't care what you're saying, and the originator of the this thread shouldn't care what I'm saying, or what you're saying.

I believe, spanky, that my point was that an internet forum is not always a good place to ask for people's advice, because it will degenerate (as this has) into two monkeys hurling poo at each other.

I'm sure that when you finish your homework, you'll have time to write another post before your mom tucks you in.
Old September 22, 2005, 12:21 PM   #45
CobrayCommando

Well Tsavo when I got a solutions plan at 24 fitness I got a personal trainer and he said different.
Old September 22, 2005, 12:39 PM   #46
Trip20

I just read your posts to Michael Barnes (education director for NSCA), he seems to think that in part you are incorrect with regards to building muscle mass. He just stated to me (on the phone) that my comment (quoted below is absolutely correct):
Quote:
Not only are there more cardiovascular benefits [in higher reps with lighter weight], but it also burns calories - thereby reducing your body fat% - and therefore making you "tone". Are high reps of lighter weight going to "build muscle" - no it's not going to add to the circumference of your arm or leg per se. But it can burn fat which will tone your body.
To my comment above he did state that I was wrong in my assumption that high reps of lighter weight is not going to build muscle. He says it will in fact build muscle, just not on a scale that heavier resistance training would provide.

To your comment:
Quote:
People tend to think toning is acheived by doing light weight for high reps, which has absolutely no truth behind it. The only way to look more "tone" is to reduce your body fat% which is achieved by eating in a caloric deficit.
…Mr. Barnes stated there is absolute truth behind the statement - “toning is acheived by doing light weight for high reps” - provided your burning more calories than you take in (this must be what you mean when you speak of caloric deficit). He also stated this is directly related to thermodynamics.

Our conversation was much longer but I couldn’t type as fast as he spoke. I assure you I didn’t conveniently &/or deliberately leave out any part(s) of his comment(s). I only wanted to find out the truth, and if I had to prove myself wrong to do that I would have posted his comments in that respect.

Last edited by Trip20; September 22, 2005 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old September 22, 2005, 01:14 PM   #47
tsavo

Again I will state that lifting heavy weight for fewer reps burns just as many calories as lifting light weight for more reps.

If you go into a cutting regime and start lifting lighter than you had been in the past in order to do more reps you're going to be in a world of hurt and stand to lose a substantial amount of muscle.

And to the person above, just because that person is a trainer doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I only stated my qualifications because that's about the only thing I can do on the internet.

Also you need to be clear about what you mean when you say "high" reps. I'm referring to 12-14 repitions. If you're talking about significantly more reps than that then you are getting into circuit training which is different from weight training.
Old September 22, 2005, 01:28 PM   #48
CobrayCommando

You were wrong, plain and simple, you stated that doing light weights at high reps does nothing to build strength... IIRC it also builds muscle density.

Did I ever say if you took a body builder and told him to do light weights at higher reps that it would build HIS strength? NO! But for many people (not me) light weights and higher reps is a good thing. Especially the frail and those who don't want to look bulky, and it does build strength and burn calories.
Old September 22, 2005, 01:54 PM   #49
Trip20

Quote:
And to the person above, just because that person is a trainer doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I only stated my qualifications because that's about the only thing I can do on the internet.
Michael Barnes is not just a trainer (if he is even a trainer at all), he's the education director for the NSCA. The very same organization you named in order to, one could argue, appear as an authority on the topic at hand. You lose credibility by denouncing reliability of the same organization (it's education director no less!), when the opinion of it's education director differs from yours.

Bottom line: You've forgotten more about physical fitness than I'll probably ever know. However, the "myth", as you call it, has turned out not to be a myth at all.
Old September 22, 2005, 03:04 PM   #50
Paintballer

Here's another FACT - not everyone can build muscle mass the same. Some people benifit from the lower weight method, other cant make gains with heavy weights.
Ive done both. I made gains with the progressive weight traing meaning start out light, get heavier as the sets go. It works for a while, then your body adapts and you need to change the way you lift.
Currently I am on the super heavy duty routine. I lift 2 days a week, one body part, train to failure with 2 sets at 90% of maximum effort. Takes about 30 minutes each time including warm up, then I go home and eat a whole buffalo.
No matter what, you cant do the exact same work out and expect different results.
This is the only proof I have. And I didnt get my routines from the interweb OR a so-called "trainer". www.davedraper.com. He's the real deal.