The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2005, 10:20 PM   #1
ziggycat

Benelli Nova plug

I just bought my first shotgun, a Benelli Nova, and understand that there may be a plug that needs to be removed to allow me to reach the full loading capacity. Currently I can only load two below and one in the chamber. Yet the specs say I should be able to load 4 +1.

I am using 3" shot

I was told that there is a restriction plug that needs to be removed, but I can't figure out how to remove it.

Anyone know the procedure?
Old September 16, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2
chris in va

If I remember right, you unscrew the end cap on the magazine. The barrel then pulls off and all the guts of the mag (spring, plug etc) will come out.

When you reinstall the spring, be sure to not forget the orange cap.
Old September 17, 2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Bonstrosity

from what I remember in reading the manual (my dad has a nova and I've got an m1) I don't think there is a plug. I think w/ 2 3/4 you can fit 4 and 1 but with the bigger 3 inchers it will only fit 3 and 1. I'm pretty sure about this because I was surprised that there wasn't a plug in there.

Joel
Old September 17, 2005, 02:00 PM   #4
ziggycat

I can only get (2) 3" . I spoke with a guy at a gun shop and he mentioned the plug as well.

He also mentioned unscrewing the end cap of the mag to remove it. When I do that, however, I can't find the way to get the magazine apart.
Old September 17, 2005, 02:36 PM   #5
InSoMNiaX23

I have an M1 Field. Mine has the plug installed and I've never taken it out because Missouri requires it for hunting. I am looking at the diagram in my owner's manual, and it looks like you unscrew the magazine cap and then use the points of a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the limiter retainer (the cap holding the spring and limiter plug inside the magazine tube). I cannot tell if it is threaded in there or if you have to push it into the tube and then turn it counter-clockwise like on my 870. Here are are the directions word for word:

1) With the gun unloaded, point the barrel upwards and unscrew the magazine cap
2) With appropriate pliers, remove the limiter retainer
3) Carefully slip the and spring out.

Kind of vague but I hope it helps.
Old September 17, 2005, 03:27 PM   #6
ziggycat

Got it out

Thanks
Old March 23, 2011, 12:15 PM   #7
impartial

Here is an Article that might help you with this. Theres even pictures!

How to remove the magazine plug in a Benelli Nova shotgun

Enjoy!
Old March 23, 2011, 12:42 PM   #8
zippy13

Yikes! The guy in impartial's link seems to be using the wrong tools and making way too much work for himself. To me, those two holes in the retaining clip are screaming: "Use snap ring pliers to compress me!" The holes look like an improvement over the Remington designed clip, why use Remington's pry-out method when there's an easier/cleaner way?
Old March 23, 2011, 02:31 PM   #9
impartial

If you have a better tool absolutely use it. Most people have needle nose and adjustable pliers. That is why I used them. The article is for the common person that isn't familiar with what they're working with. As such I used common tools which I could assume everyone owns.

after all would you go buy a new pair of pliers just to take the mag plug out of your shotgun? Me neither.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:34 PM   #10
zippy13

If the instructions are a work around for those with limited tools, perhaps it should be so noted.
Old March 23, 2011, 04:06 PM   #11
BigJimP

Yes, many of us would either have or buy the right tool for the job ...

but I think Zippy's point is well made ...at least note, that you were doing a "work around" ...and that it worked - as long as you were careful.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:42 AM   #12
impartial

I am going to make an edit to the tutorial and state that the proper pliers would be preferred. Thanks guys, good observations.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:37 AM   #13
zippy13

Ooops… my bad, I didn't notice that you're a newby…

Greetings impartial, and welcome aboard!
It's not often that a first post is illustrated instructions. Well done, and many thanks.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:50 AM   #14
impartial

I come with information! and pictures!

haha thanks. good to be here