The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 15, 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
USP.40

Whitetail hunting with 10ga

I wanted to try shotgun this year for whitetail. I wanted to know if anybody uses 10ga? I've been looking at the Browning BPS 10ga Stalker 28" barrel. How does the recoil compare to 12ga? I know that ammo selection is limited. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Old September 15, 2005, 06:30 PM   #2
butch50

Well, it should work

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old September 16, 2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Webleymkv

It'll kill a deer just fine. So will a 12 or 20 gauge. With the 10ga you'll have more recoil, more expensive shell, more expensive gun, most likely a less flat tragectory with slugs, and more weight to pack around. The real niche of the 10ga is waterfowl hunting particularly geese. The reason is that it can throw a pattern up higher than a smaller gauge. It has, however been largely superceded for that purpose by 3 1/2" 12ga shell. Ithaca also made a semi auto 10ga for police called the Roadblocker. The sole purpose was to disable automobiles. I think there are few things as romantic as a 10ga SXS double but for practical purposes (especially deer hunting) I don't think it's the best choice.
Old September 16, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4
MEDDAC19

A 10 gauge is more than enough gun. I would borrow one, and fire a magnum hunting load in it, before buying one. I have shot a friend's with a turkey load in it, way too much recoil for me.
Old September 16, 2005, 12:14 PM   #5
butch50

That is good advice - go shoot one and see if it what you want.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old September 16, 2005, 05:29 PM   #6
tintcutter

you may care to take note that among shotguns, the speed is very similiar, it is the weight of the projectiles that increases. And the bruising to go with it.
Old September 29, 2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Hello123

Choose a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel. Also, to clarify, the 10 gauge shoots more pellets than a smaller guage, thus a more dense or bigger pattern, depending on the chokes. However, the #2 steel from a 410 has the same power as the #2 from a 10 gauge, per pellet, the 10 gauge just has more pellets.
Old September 29, 2005, 08:28 PM   #8
leadbutt

I use an AUTO-10 every year here in Va. my area is shotgun only/buck shot only. Mine weigh's in about 9lbs, recoil isn't that bad, and patterns very well with either 000 or 00

YOu can find the same loadings in the 12ga 3 1/2", and the guns will for the most part wiegh the same. More than likely a little easier to find also.
Old September 30, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9
FrontSight

Buy a Savage 12ga

Dude,

This is the Savage Slug Warriot I have, but in camo:

http://www.savagearms.com/210fcamo.htm

I love it. Talk about accurate, and at a great price, too. DEFINITELY use the new Hastings Laser Accurate slugs, I can't begin to tell you how acccurate they are - each box of 5 destroyed a Sight N See target's center at 50 yards

Recoil is NO JOKE, tho, in this 12ga, holy sh*t, so I don't recommend you use a 10 ga, which will be even worse...
Old September 30, 2005, 01:59 PM   #10
VirgilCaine

Slug technology had come along very well in recent years. .12ga slugs are reaching 1400 fps and are flat out to 100yds. I think a 12 ga slugger would do just fine. I've shot a 10ga....it ain't fun for long.
Good Luck, Happy Hunting!
Old October 2, 2005, 07:28 PM   #11
USP.40

Well, I thank everyone for their advice. I bought a 12ga Benelli Nova Slug gun this weekend. I also got some Federal Hydrashock sabot slugs. It performed well at 75yds with the sights. Everybody have a safe and enjoyable hunting season.