The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2005, 01:24 PM   #1
bk83gold

Rock Chucker Pro 2000

Hey guys I was going out to check out the Dillon 550b and I came across a guy who gave me a deal on a RCBS pro 2000.

he wants $300.00 for
The pro 2000
357 plates
44 mag plates
2000 primers
A few boxes to hold ammo
and some other mis things. primer strips, primer strip loader.........

Has anyone had any hands on with this unit or does anyone have an opinion on this unit. This Saturday was the first time I saw this machine so I don't know very much about it.

Thanks
Brandon
Old September 12, 2005, 02:27 PM   #2
kgpcr

Check out the Hornady progressive

Check out he Hornady progressive that Cabelas sells for 300.00. i own one and i love it. Much better deal that a dillon in my opinion. for 300 you even get a powder measure. its also a 5 station press and the dillon is a 4 station. mine has cranked out thousands of rounds and i love it.
Smith M&P 40
Old September 12, 2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

I have loaded over 150,000 rnds in my pro2000. Do a search on my name and pro 2000 and you should find the report. It is also over at handloads.com if you can't find it.

Is it perfect no. Is it good, yes. To me the break point for the pro2000 over all else is the APS primer strips. Try to use the search and find any posts about a pro2000 blowing up primers. I don't know of any. Now search about primers blowing in tubes. You will find a bunch. Also I note that Dillon and Lee both have some from of "blast sheilds" around the primer tubes. I don't like the idea of needing a blast sheild with my hobby.

For this reason I went with the pro2000 and never looked back. To bad it is not a 7 station press. I would like a few more stations.
Old September 12, 2005, 10:44 PM   #4
klw

I've got five, three Pro 2000's and two Piggyback III's. Absolutely love them.

I've also owned and used several Dillon's. The 550 I really liked. The 1000 I didn't.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with a Dillon but the RCBS APS primer system is excellent as is the entire machine. In my opinion, and I've used both, the current RCBS machines are better than the Dillon's.
Old September 13, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
bk83gold

I like the Pro 2000 myself but the box rates the press at 650 rds hour. I can only seem to get 200 rds an hour. How do you do with yours? Do you know if you can get and automatic case feeder for the press?

Thanks
Brandon
Old September 13, 2005, 02:35 PM   #6
klw

For decades I collected reloading equipment, especially presses. Had maybe 36 progressives of just about every type ever. Most were hard to use. Some didn't work at all. Modern machines are marvels compared to some of the originals.

I just don't try to push them speedwise. Whatever I get is just fine. I've know fellows who push their machines SO fast that the powder doesn't have time to fall into the case. I'm interested in making reloading easy. I'm just not in a great rush.

Any progressive I've ever used, however, had a higher malfunction rate if operated too fast (or maybe I'm just so slow witted I got into trouble if I went fast).