The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 9, 2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Servo77

mini-14....good for SHTF?

I recently accurired a new mini 14. Anyway, got some black warrior hi-caps....recommended by everyone I have talked to that owns a mini. Anyway, I also have an AK on layaway and two sks rifles (russian and chinese). would the mini be worth keeping around for SHTF senarios? I know the limitations of its accuracy and the .223 round, but it would mainly be for close range anyway (got an '06 for reaching out), so let me know what you think.

Last edited by Servo77; September 11, 2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old September 9, 2005, 10:14 AM   #2
Clayfish

As long as you have enough mags and ammo around it sould be fine. Before I'd use any gun for shtf I'd do a simple test. Shoot a thousand or so rounds without cleaning and see what happens. If it's reliable after that then you're good to go, if not I'd reconsider my weapon choice.
Old September 9, 2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Rebar

The mini is a fine choice for "SHTF", just test the particular rifle and mags to make sure they work together, and it will work, period.

And while the mini isn't a benchrest rifle, with a bit of work it can get to AR level accuracy. For in-depth discussion:
http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=8
Old September 9, 2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Mannlicher

Reliability is very important, and the Ruger Mini excells there. Buy good magazines, and adequate ammo. I saw quite a few police in video clips of New Orleans carrying Mini14 rifles.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 9, 2005, 06:40 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

IMO it is a good SHTF weapon for the urban environment.

NRA Life Member
Old September 9, 2005, 06:59 PM   #6
Servo77

I generally limit my gun collection to include weapons of .223, 7.62x39, .30-06, 12 gauge, and .45 auto so that I only have to buy those kinds of ammunition. That way I can sorta stock up.
Old September 9, 2005, 08:25 PM   #7
impact

Servo77 I have a Rancher mod and it's a great gun. For sure it's not a BR gun. But they don't shoot that bad either. If you know how to use a gun? A bad guy at 100 yards is going to be in a world of hurt.
Old September 11, 2005, 10:09 AM   #8
LoadIt

Very reliable. Make sure the mags work well.
Old September 11, 2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Gunz

In my opinion, ANY gun (rifle, shotgun, handgun) which is available, loaded, and functional when you need it in your hands at that moment is a darned good SHTF gun.

My Mini14 of 20 years has been a pretty decent rifle. I can hit 3-4in groups with cheap Chinese, Russian, or any other surplus ammo from 75 yds. I have no need for anything better when plinking.

You will not be doing target match shooting in a SHTF scenario. You just need something between you and the next 30 feet to get to some shelter.

Magazines are finicky on the Minis. YOu just have to search. The ramlines are crap, the factory ones are available from CDNN now in hi-caps (maybe with LEO markings), and the aftermarket brands in metal may be spotty.

I have used 5rd factory mags exclusively and have had zero issues. I have factory 30rds (bought way back then ) and they have been ok. The Mini is best balanced with the 5rds and factory wood stock.

The auto version for LEO and with folding stocks and pistol grips have always been beyond my access to test and give an opinion.

$400 is about normal for this type of rifle. YOu have it, so now just enjoy it for a good time.

It is a simple rifle, and a $10 rubber extended recoil pad from Cheaper Than Dirt will really make a plinking afternoon a fun time.

You will not win matches against a bolt rifle or exotics like AR15s with a mini-14 out of the box. You are not supposed to.

AK rifles are not designed to go up against PSG-1 rifles, either. Still, a whole bunch of illiterate, religious zealot, stinking peasants and dictatorial despots in 3rd worlds are still using those AKs which have been drenched in cosmoline, rust, dust, dirt, and mud. Those guys get enough accuracy to wound people when spraying them at distances of 15 feet or less. The key is reliability. The Mini-14 is not on that level of performance, but the idea is the same.

Minis have some really cool heat shield replacements with picatinny rails for mounting of scopes and aimpoints. These were not available 10 years ago. You will find them an enjoyable dress-up accessory. Then again, once they go on, I am not sure how much heat protection they offer the shooter's left hand. Most of them are aluminium. They may or may not affect the Aimpoints or scopes when heated.
Old September 11, 2005, 11:01 AM   #10
Edward429451

While the Mini's are dandy little stand in rifles and very reliable with good mags, I don't think it needs any doo dads mounted to it except possibly better sights. My front sight only replacement turned my Mini into a uh, pop can driver. Meaning iat least I can hit with it now, totally combat accurate but no tack driver.

How could you mount something to the handguard? That thing just snaps on and has a little play. I doubt it would hold zero.
Old September 11, 2005, 03:37 PM   #11
Death from Afar

Gunz has said it all. I prefer the7.62 x 39mm in my "dirty thirty" but that is simply because the ammo is cheaper. It is much harder to get reliable mini 30 mags than reliable mini 14 mags.