The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 28, 2005, 04:35 AM   #1
AndrewTB

Gun Safe or Trigger LOCK?

AS you all probably already know im getting ready to purchase a first. My mom is starting to seem ok with it but she doesnt want a gun in the house without it being hidden or kept away from other peoples hands.

A trigger lock to me seems most useful since I can sleep with it on my headboard. But I have also heard trigger locks arent as effective as an actual safe. Is this correct? I like the price difference between a safe and trigger lock but on occasion my nephew (7 years old) visits my house.

What would you reccomend? Im not sure if the NRA classes ive heard about will tell me what to use. Id prefer a lock but not sure if its just as safe as an actual safe.

Any reccomendations would be nice. Im writing out a budget and cost for everything so I need to know soon.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 28, 2005, 04:49 AM   #2
seed

If you can afford it, get a good gun safe. This will protect you from thieves as well as your 7 year-old nephew. In addition, if you get a good safe, you can have one with a certain degree of fire-protection.

I have two safes...one at my apartment and one at my parent's house. I can't tell you how glad I am that I have them. Peace of mind, let me tell you. Both were sold as burglar/fire safes, but only one of them is actually somewhat fire-resistant. Before you buy, do some research and make sure that the safe you buy is UL listed for BOTH categories. Last I checked (ten years ago), there were some real nice safes listed for both and the fire-resistant material in the double-walls actually served as an additional barrier to thieves. It was purported to be so hard that it would cause drill bits to break.

One more thing...unless you move around a lot, be sure to get a safe which is bigger than your current and near-future needs. Your collection will grow inside it in the coming years.

Almost forgot...If you get a safe, be sure to purchase rechargeable dessicant bags and bore-store silicon-containing storage pouches. No rust concerns.

P.S. Am I the only one who finds trigger locks useless?
Old August 28, 2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Biss

Seed- You are not the only one who finds trigger locks worthless. I hate the things. IMHO they are awkward to undo if you need your weapon quickly and could also be easily broken if the weapon was stolen from your home.
Andrew- My recomendation would be for a pistol safe as it sounds like you want to keep it close by. I purchased one, I believe called "gunsafe"??? There is another brand called "Dosko Sport" and I am sure many others. It has a 4 button keypad as well as a backup key incase you forget the combo. It easily mounts to the floor or wall. The safe is around $100.00 and well worth it as the weapon is secure from children yet easily accessible to you.
Biss
Old August 28, 2005, 09:50 AM   #4
ruger270man

hey if you need some extra trigger locks, let me know, I think I have a box of them laying around here somewhere..

unless I threw em out already
Old August 28, 2005, 11:12 AM   #5
seed

Quote:
Andrew- My recomendation would be for a pistol safe as it sounds like you want to keep it close by. I purchased one, I believe called "gunsafe"??? There is another brand called "Dosko Sport" and I am sure many others. It has a 4 button keypad as well as a backup key incase you forget the combo. It easily mounts to the floor or wall. The safe is around $100.00 and well worth it as the weapon is secure from children yet easily accessible to you.
Oh yeah...I forgot about those things. Even if you do get a real safe in the future, I'm betting you will still find use for the little box Biss wrote about. Good suggestion Biss.
Old August 28, 2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Frenchwrench

Life Jacket makes a very good lockable cover for pistols and shotguns.Only about $20.00 and very fast to open (key). The advantage over a trigger lock is you can keep the gun loaded, and not blow your wahooty off trying to take it off.
Old August 28, 2005, 01:01 PM   #7
MeekAndMild

Yes, the blowup factor is aproblem with trigger locks. They can push on the trigger and set off the gun! IMHO they are dangerous.

We got some neat little freebee locks from the county sheriff's department when I went with Mrs. Meek to her pistol safety course. They are called Project Homesafe locks and are like a regular padlock except they have a steel wire loop coated with plastic instead of the usual hasp. You pass the plastic coated wire through the pistol barrel and out the chamber. They are big enough for a 4 or 5 inch barrel and will work on semiautos as well as revolvers.

With that in mind one might talk to their local sheriff's deputy and see if they can get one. If you follow the links from their webpage you'll come to a list of agencies which give them out. Free is good.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 28, 2005, 03:24 PM   #8
AndrewTB

Thanks for the tips so far.

Ive eliminated a trigger lock and im checking out the HomeSafe link posted above. I do not plan on leaving the gun loaded with a clip but I want to store the clip together with the gun. Im just worried a safe might be a little hard to open if I need to open it in a rush. I found 2 safes I like and have posted the links below. Any of you ever used them?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...h-results1.jsp

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...h-results1.jsp

I was also checking out gun cabinets and thought about putting one in the closet. I plan on buying an SKS shortly after my handgun purchase. Then a 1911 whenever I can afford it. I want saftey to be the first priority.
Old August 28, 2005, 03:48 PM   #9
Biss

Andrew- The first link is the one I own. I love it. It is VERY quick to open!
Biss
Old August 28, 2005, 05:59 PM   #10
paladin41us

Hi Andrew

Gun safe no more said

If you decide to buy the gun vault 1000 single or the 2000 double, let me know where you are getting it at and the price, I'll see if I can get you a good price for NIB, if you are interested.

I just bought my 2nd safe holds 16 long guns and has a fire rating of 1550 degrees for 30 mins price was not to bad it the damn shipping that gets you..lol

Alot of folks may know this already but for those who don't when you are shopping for a full size safe make sure the top is as solid as the rest of it, seems thiefs have figured out that the top of the safes are very easy to get into. just a piece of friendly advise.
Old August 28, 2005, 06:40 PM   #11
seed

Quote:
Ive eliminated a trigger lock and im checking out the HomeSafe link posted above. I do not plan on leaving the gun loaded with a clip but I want to store the clip together with the gun.
(Butthead impersonation mode): Uhhh...huhuhuh....He said "clip".
Old August 28, 2005, 07:15 PM   #12
MeekAndMild

Weird. They've renamed their project from Project Homesafe to Project Childsafe.

Anyway the link to where to get the freebee locks is in the upper right hand corner of the page.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 28, 2005, 07:47 PM   #13
AndrewTB

Clip = magazine correct? LOL I didnt use proper terms.

Ill contact you when im ready to get a safe. Should only be 2-3 weeks down the road at most. This site is to addicting so I shall go now before I spend another 3 hours reading posts.
Old August 28, 2005, 09:09 PM   #14
Majic

If the pistol is going to be locked up why not have the magazine inserted? You are worrying about the amount of time to retrieve the pistol, but willing to add more seconds to the feat.