The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 25, 2005, 04:15 AM   #1
RedRiver

Pictures of Hi-Point C9?

I took my Hi-Point C9 apart and when I was hammering the roll pin out some pieces came off the frame. They didn't break. I put them back in place and everything seems to be in place. Can anyone send me a picture of their Hi-Point C9 (the 9mm) with the slide off at different close-up angles so I can see if I put it back together correctly? The surface I was hammering on wasn't so stable which had a lot to do with the parts coming off. When done correctly nothing came apart (right tools/surface). Ironically the internal pieces look to be of higher quality than expected. Overall the whole gun is built better than I thought it would be. Any help would be appreciated!
Old August 25, 2005, 04:25 AM   #2
CajunBass

Try this site. He has some pretty good pictures on it that might show you what you need.

Hi-Point cleaning
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 25, 2005, 03:02 PM   #3
kymasabe

Was I reading that right? Do you really need to drive the slide pin out with a punch and hammer? I was thinking of buying a Hi-Point as a truck gun, a cheap back-up to leave in my plumbing truck but with disassembly like that...forget it.
Old August 25, 2005, 03:31 PM   #4
RedRiver

Yeah...

You've gotta understand it's an inexpensive "fun" gun; But it shoots everytime and rarely needs to be cleaned. It's the AK-47 of handguns. To clean the gun you just rack the slide back and swab the barrel (Every 500 rounds). You only need to disassemble it every 2000 rounds. It's really not a big deal. I was sceptible so I bought one. I don't regret it whatsoever. From what I've read everyone who has actually owned one loves it. Everyone who talks trash has never even shot one. Go to this thread and you can read for yourself... http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=179388
Old August 25, 2005, 03:37 PM   #5
WillBrayjr

I seriously doubt a piece of junk like a Hi-Point is the AK-47 of handguns. Cast zinc alloy doesn't take a beating. The AK-47 is extremely dependable and a Hi-Point isn't
Old August 25, 2005, 03:59 PM   #6
RedRiver

Wait...

Don't bash it until you've owned and operated one. I've heard nothing but great reviews from people who own and shoot them. My own personal experience validates these reviews. People that have never shot them bad mouth it. I hate it. Buy one and then tell me it's crap, don't just tell me it's crap. Read the Hi-Point reviews on this site from people that have OWNED one and you'll see that they're pleased and that they also own expensive handguns (God knows I do) as well. They are what they are...fun range guns.
Old August 25, 2005, 05:08 PM   #7
sltintexas

you are correct about them being difficult to take apart. I have a 380 & 9mm carbine. I emailed the factory and they said they do not suggest taking it apart unless you know what you are doing. Here is the exact email response.. I think the AK reference above, was in reference do them being able to fire dirty..that is all.

-----------beginning of email ----------------
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 11:19 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cleaning Instructions

Dear Shawn,

Although some customers who have Hi Point Firearms are capable of it, MKS recommends that you do not take the gun apart. The exploded view in the manual is not intended to be a detailed disassembly guide. It is really just to note the basic steps for those who feel qualified. The way MKS recommends to clean a Hi Point is to blow the inner area out with a mild aerosol solvent once or twice a year. (Of course wear eye protection). This gets out any accumulated grime and dirt that may have been attracted and held in there by the oil. Clean the barrel with a good bore solvent after you get home from shooting. This is all we do after thousands of rounds of shooting. Oil lightly, and the gun is ready for the next session of shooting. If you feel that you must take the gun apart, but need help, please phone the factory and talk with a mechanic there. They can be reached at (419) 747-9444 Mon.-Thurs. 7am-5pm EST.

Hope this helps!

PJJ
MKS Supply, Inc.
Marketer of Hi-Point Firearms

---------end of email -----------------

so what this boils down to me is.. I can buy a cheap gun, which has been reliable in my personal experience, that isn't going to be problematic if a little dirty (which I clean mine after every session anyway)
Old August 25, 2005, 06:24 PM   #8
packa45

Quote:
It's the AK-47 of handguns.
That's a bold statement. My AK has never malfunctioned with over 1000 rounds fired. How many Hi-point owners can say that? Yes I've shot one and they are worth what they cost but that's about it.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old August 25, 2005, 07:08 PM   #9
WillBrayjr

I have shot the 45acp Hi-Point. It was big, butt ugly, uncomfortable to hold, and the recoil sharp compared to other 45acp caliber handguns. I only have 10 jams out of 50rds. If you wan't a cheap gun that will function extremely well then buy a Cobray PM-11 in 9mm
Old August 25, 2005, 07:11 PM   #10
Clone

packa45,

i can. iv put over 1200rds (JHP, FMJ) through my hi point 45 and havnt had one jam. my HP 9mm had a few jams til i found out it was the mag lips that needed adjusting. iv shot about 150rds sence with no probs. its a new gun but its looking like its going to turn out as reliable as the 45. but ill wait til i shoot it more before i say anything about the 9mm with any certainty.
Old August 25, 2005, 11:52 PM   #11
RedRiver

Thanks Cajun!

Thanks CajunBass! The hi-point cleaning pics you sent me really helped. The C9 has been a great gun so far. I shot it a bunch and had no probs. with it. I kinda like a gun that you can completely disassemble like that. I own a Glock and Bersa and there's not much left to the imagination, but then again they're better guns at a higher price and are meant for concealment etc... Just for fun I really like the Hi-Point.
Old August 26, 2005, 12:17 AM   #12
packa45

Quote:
i can. iv put over 1200rds (JHP, FMJ) through my hi point 45 and havnt had one jam.
I'm glad you're satisfied, like my post said I have shot one and think they are worth the money but some people claim they are the best sub $300 dollar handguns and that is just not true.(try a makarov) Others will even use them for self defense, of course a gun is better than no gun but if my life depends on it I want a well made reliable one.
Like every other mass produced gun company lemons are put out but percentages will vary. I'm also no fan of their zinc alloy but to each his own. Shooting a Hipoint is better than shooting nothing.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.

Last edited by packa45; August 26, 2005 at 04:07 AM.
Old August 26, 2005, 04:19 AM   #13
CajunBass

Quote:
Thanks CajunBass!
You're welcome RR. Glad I could help, but I can't take any credit for more than providing the link. That site belongs to dzimmerman and the link was posted on "The High Road". I just happened to remember it.

Packa45, I've got about 1000 rounds through my Hi-Point 9mm now, both FMJ, and HP, and while it hasn't been malfunction free, it's been pretty darn close. I've had two failures to feed in that time.

I think it's the best sub $300.00 9mm I've ever seen. At $140.00 I think it's a bargan. If you can find them for less, it's a bonus.

I wouldn't hesitate to use mine to defend myself.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 27, 2005, 11:52 PM   #14
strange246

I have one of their 9mm carbines with well over 5,000 rounds through it, I've cleaned it maybe 3 times and my cleaning it consists of a can of spray cleaner and a little spray oil...Never a jam, or any other problem...Best $150 I ever spent...

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/
Old August 29, 2005, 11:22 AM   #15
Te Anau

A Cobray more reliable than a Hi-Point? Not on any planet i've visited. Just about anything ever made is more reliable than a Cobray.
Old August 29, 2005, 11:26 AM   #16
Te Anau

Quote:
when I was hammering the roll pin out
I'd say that "tapping" would be a more appropriate word to use here.Its not like you need a 20lb sledge or anything.
Old August 29, 2005, 12:45 PM   #17
WillBrayjr

Alittle polishing and the Cobray works just fine.