The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2006, 11:11 AM   #101
1inthechamber

JSF, what parts do you polish up? I was thinking of polishing the feed ramp.
Old January 26, 2006, 12:26 PM   #102
jsflagstad

The feed ramp is a good start...

I did polish the feed ram, although neither of mine ever gave me feeding problems. I also polished and fitted all of the trigger mechanism. Ran a light polishing compound down the bore and into the chamber to remove any burrs. Polished the firing pin tunnel and slide mechanism. The tunnel where the firing pin and spring sit on mine were very rough cut and the polishing made everything move smoother.

This all made the gun feel much better and improved accuracy. I may do a little more trigger work as I thing there is a little more room for improvement there.

These guns are incredibly simple and it is easy to identify improvements once you have them apart.

I am working on a mold for some custom softer urethane grips for mine (for the 9mm and the larger frame 40). Would anyone else have any interest in these? I suppose they could be done in different colors as well. Any Ideas?

Have Fun,

JSF
Old January 15, 2007, 06:08 PM   #103
marshall2

If you are a Hi-Point fan, here are some links...

Hi-Point Link Central is....

http://www.mouseguns.com/hipoint/hipoint.htm
Old January 15, 2007, 08:39 PM   #104
BADMAN400

The HP Forum

Here's the link to the new Hi-Point Forum. Great crowd, great information.
http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/index.php
Old January 15, 2007, 08:53 PM   #105
jsflagstad

The Hi Point Following is amazing

+1 on the Hi Point Forum, those guys over there are great!

It is amazing how many people are Hi Point owners and shooters now. I bought one out of curiosity several years ago, and I now own 4 (2 handguns and 2 carbines). I probably shoot my Hi Points more than any of the other 25+ guns in my collection.

I guess I had to prove it to myself that these guns were worthy. My conclusion: They are...

JSF
Old January 15, 2007, 11:06 PM   #106
hdawson228

I'm another one that was intrigued by the threads about Hi-Points. Owners seemed so well satisfied and those posting against the HP, claiming they were junk, for the most part never owned one and some even hadn't handled one. I decided I had to find out for myself. A small investment of $129 and I was off to the range. With 6-700 rounds so far, not one hiccup or failure of any kind. I use both 8 and 10 round mags. I fire fmj and jhp Federals. They offer the most comprehensive warranty of the industry and are Made in America. Mine is the C9, 9mm compact and I always shoot it along with my Springfield 1911, .45.

Please, keep this thread CIVIL.
Old January 16, 2007, 01:02 AM   #107
BADMAN400

JSF, I also have 4 HP's (2 pistols-the C-9 and the jhp.45, the 995 and the 4095 carbines) and I enjoy them all. I installed the ATI stock on the 995 carbine. and I put "Bubba grips" (cut sections of bicycle tube) on the grips of both pistols and the 4095. The rubber gives a good secure feeling grip. I would be interested to see the new grips you're making. If it's not too much trouble, send me an email with some pics when you get them ready. If they work well, maybe you can present them to the guys at the HP forum and get some orders.

Hdawson228, congrats and welcome to the fold. You'll enjoy your new HP. And if anything ever goes wrong, just call HP and they'll make it right. Their customer service and warranty is the best!
Old January 16, 2007, 08:34 AM   #108
jsflagstad

It is great to see that the Hi Points are catching on so well. I think it is because that they are a fairly inexpensive, fairly accurate, simple gun that people can have fun with. I love to shoot mine and I do alot as I am nearing the 5000 round mark in both my Comp 9mm and my 40S&W handguns. Mine have proven themselves to many on numerous occasions. I challenged my father to a "for guns" shoot (He wins and he goes home with his and mine and vice versa), he has a 1911 S&W 10mm and he declined the challenge after he saw me hit numerous double and triple taps on plates out to 20 yards.

There is nothing wrong with these guns, and I think there is a lot of nah-sayers eating crow from their comments early on.

Have fun...

JSF
Old January 16, 2007, 11:09 AM   #109
Jbar4Ranch

I've had experience with two C-9's, and I'm quite impressed. One was $99 new, and the other, $109. I can't make them fail, even limp-wristing/weak gripping it to the point of holding the gun only with my trigger finger pushing back on the trigger against the web of my hand with the rest of my fingers outstretched and not touching the gun at all. Light bullets, heavy bullets, jacketed, cast, fast, slow, +P, ball, or hollowpoints makes no difference, it works every time.

SASS 47015
Old January 16, 2007, 04:01 PM   #110
kenneth owens

usa made,lifetime service

I have had my 995 for 3yrs nothing broke,lose,rusted,installed an aim-point
red-dot very accurate.the warranty is the best, made in the united states
which is a rare thing! my dads 45 out shot me shooting hk mark23
they function flawlessly in my view you either like them or you dont.I have
pumped thousands of rds out of my 995 +p +p+ reloads I had 1 box of reloads
which would not work the action due to low powder charge my fault guys
these things WORK ! if you dont have one try one out. the only thing I am upset about is the 45 carbine is not out yet L.O.L
Old January 17, 2007, 05:52 AM   #111
hdawson228

Is there any better, more comprehensive warranty than this? ? ? ? ?

"All Hi-Point Firearms carry a Lifetime, No-Questions Asked
Warranty. If any Hi-Point Firearm is ever need of service,
please call 877-425-4867. Whether you are the original
purchaser, or a third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will
be repaired free of charge." (From the official website)
Old January 17, 2007, 12:29 PM   #112
NRAhab

I recently purchased my first Hi Point firearm. A very complete view of my thoughts can be found here.

Also, if you enjoy my blog, tell others.
Old February 3, 2008, 07:45 PM   #113
jamephipp

45 acp JHP

I've had the Hi point 45 acp since june and have dumped 6000 rounds thru it. Cheap, Ugly yes but most amazing thing is it will be dead nuts on at 75 yards. That's right I couldn't believe it either. it's a pistol not a carbine. I've had no issues with the pistol after break in I had 2 extraction failures the first 150 rounds other than that it keeps on hammering them out.

Old February 3, 2008, 08:48 PM   #114
ShootemDown

I own the 9mm carbine, plus the ATI stock.

I was horrified with the quality of the build.

upon removing the stock, found it was two halves of a plastic clamshell that flexes and bends.

I have seen TV box cusions better made. * exaggeration

The clam shell was held with screws and U Clips.

If one was to butt stoke a BG, it would be akin to them getting hit with a wiffle bat.

the finish of the reciever was reminesent of 3rd world backyard garden tools.

I cant believe it. but for what it is, and for the price, fit and finish is secondary to a gun that actually works !

the poor people needs a product like this, cheap and works.. and truely ugly.
Old February 3, 2008, 09:20 PM   #115
Perldog007

I got one just to have a cheap pistol to get back on the range with after time away from the shooting scene. I only had two nice revolvers and did not want to shoot them loose.

After the .40 I liked it so well I got the C9. I shot these while I decided what i wanted to get for a "real" pistol. Then I got an XD .45 and the obligatory mkIII. Next purchase is a JHP .45.

After I get my BH and a GP100, will get the carbines.

They are cheap, ugly, at times needing way too much TLC for the mags and sometimes the feed ramps need to be polished. Take down requires violence and punching out a roll pin. Harsh language may also be needed.

Still when some newbie with their thousand dollar gun looks at your target then peeks into your lane stall and sees that ugly block of zinc, that is it's own reward.
Old March 3, 2008, 01:33 PM   #116
Crit21

I'm not saying that Hi-Point guns are the best hanguns on the planet, but it's easy to see that too many of the negative comments regarding Hi-Point are either:
- anecdotal or just plain lies to support their biased opinion that is not based on first-hand experience ("I know a guy who had one and it was crap")
- based on flawed logic ("It must be junk if it's so cheap")
- from owners who thought a cheap gun must need cheap ammo (and experienced the jamming that any gun would experience with crappy ammo)
- or from owners who didn't realize they could sent it back to the factory (made in the USA) for free repair under Hi-Point's "100% lifetime guarantee"

I've seen reviews from reliable industry sources (e.g., shootingtimes.com and defensereview.com) that all say the same thing: Despite the fact that the Hi-Point guns look clunky, they were all impressed. The guns were very accurate with no jams.

I plan to get both the 9mm and 45 ACP next week.

Last edited by Crit21; March 3, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old March 6, 2008, 01:44 AM   #117
bakelite

Hi-Points

They are kinda expensive paperweights.
Old March 6, 2008, 04:00 AM   #118
JasonJ

well what are you doing using a firearm to hold down papers! unless its more targets at the outdoor range.

in all seriousness, looks, fit and finish aside, they just work.. and in the end, thats all that matters.
Old March 6, 2008, 01:32 PM   #119
daferg2

Unlike a lot of amateur "gun experts" out there, my ego isn't too large to own one. It's hard to find many negative comments from people that actually have them. I may pick one up to target practice with and save some wear and tear on some of my "good" guns.
Old March 6, 2008, 03:59 PM   #120
ElectricHellfire

I have a carbine and its great for plinking and such. A little on the rough side but functional and reliable nonetheless. A good value for the money. No experience with any HP handguns.
Old March 6, 2008, 04:06 PM   #121
HeroHog

I bought a C9 yesterday. While I was there I played with a Kel-Tec P-11... went back and baught it today. Paid $145 for the C9 and $205 for the P-11.
Old June 30, 2008, 10:56 AM   #122
KarrensMan69

I had the 995 a few years ago, and never had a problem w/ it. It fired every time, and hit the target if I did my part right. I had to sell it thanks to 19 tick turds crashing airplanes and the economic turmoil thereafter.
Old June 30, 2008, 11:07 AM   #123
chubbmann

I have had my eye on the carbines and have always been amazed at the cheap price. I would not want the handgun for a carry weapon, but it is a good choice for a begining shooter as it is simple, durable, and cheap.
Old June 30, 2008, 02:22 PM   #124
Te Anau

Quote:
They are kinda expensive paperweights
That will shoot Wolf ammo all day without complaint!
Old June 30, 2008, 02:38 PM   #125
rogertc1

I had one way back in the 90's in 9MM, they were all metal back them.
Ugly IMHO but it worked 110% of the time.
I sold it for more than I paid for it.
If you want a gun that shoots get it.
Kinda like a cheap Glock.