The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2005, 11:23 AM   #51
XDoctor

I had a 9mm, it never jammed and always went boom when I pulled the trigger. Then one day, I decided to clean it. After several hours of attempting to remove the takedown pin, I sprayed it full of brake cleaner. All sorts of black nasties came flowing fourth. Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.

It was fun while it lasted, but I would not buy another.
Old September 27, 2005, 02:49 PM   #52
Crosshair

XDoctor

After several hours of attempting to remove the takedown pin, I sprayed it full of brake cleaner. All sorts of black nasties came flowing fourth. Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.

You realise that brake cleaner will melt almost ANY plastic. Very bad idea to use it on plastic guns like the hi-point/Glock/anything else with a polymer frrame or plastic components. Using break cleaner is not a fault of the gun.
Old September 28, 2005, 03:03 PM   #53
Toney

From what i understand highpoint would still take care of your melted pistol.
I'm still waiting for our new 45 to jam
Old September 28, 2005, 06:54 PM   #54
Pietro Beretta

Quote:
Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.
A lot of plastics will melt on firearms, only a few seem to be able to resist the "melting" effects of brake cleaner.

I would talk to mksupply complain a little. I wouldnt be surpised if they gave you a new firearm. (however still; I wouldnt hold my breath)
Old September 29, 2005, 05:20 AM   #55
CajunBass

Quote:
I sprayed it full of brake cleaner. All sorts of black nasties came flowing fourth. Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.

Not the same thing.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 29, 2005, 06:31 PM   #56
sltintexas

Heck xdoctor, if you still have it, I'll buy it from you (for cheap of course)...
Old September 29, 2005, 09:59 PM   #57
DiplomaticBlackHawk

Hey man that can of chlorinated brakleen is giving me flashbacks of my days with Advance Auto Parts.But anyway , I had a hi-point and when it FLEW apart I got dropped off at the house and walked about 35 mins down dixie to MK and they not only gave me a new one , they gave me 4 clips of my choice " anyone with jamming problems try 8or9 in a 10 rounder , Bet it takes care of the problem" I think they just need a little lip work and I bet money that is not a consistant rate spring in the mag.But anyway they gave the whole setup , a bag of mags , and a ride home.Now that is customer service.They guy may have been going that way but he could have said sc### ya buddy.I got the new one whice worked much better .You may think I'm crazy for taking the time but I tore it down , looked at the design , cleaned it/ used some common sense and smoother it out in some areas and then found it's downfall.HP bullets take chunks out of the feed ramp that is make out of aluminum and some layout die showed the ramp could use A LOT OF WORK , but aluminum didn't take that much time at all.Polished it after blending it untill it felt good on the action then god even more bored so I took a rivit and cut the ball off to make a pin that would have a spline and still come out easy.Now it is the best gun I have for all around dogging.It takes hp's , everything else , NEVER jams and is more accurate just because I feel better about the safety of this fire arm" partly the reason for my pin idea , ala last one in face" Now I do not recommed anyone try these modification if you are not VERY knowledgible when it come to gunsmithing .Most of these mods where just for fun and to see if it really helped with the only thing that did was no hp's or the ramp work.Also for one last thing , anyone with the c9 check your feed ramp for the hollow point chunks out of the ramp then take the mag and feel the front rounded edge for a massive burr,ect, and then taper it , then smooth it out , not only will it make the mag feed better " only if you rework the inside and out by where the bullet is pointing twards in the mag" and it will pop in and out without bind.Remember unless you bored and know what you are doing just do the mag trick and use moly coated lead because I think even the fmj's rough up the ramp and lead will feed and shoot better out of it . don't trust me , trust yourself.Good shooting and enjoy that you can spend the time learing everything that you need to be proficent with most any gun " that ton of ammo you can buy now is good too"
Old October 1, 2005, 12:02 AM   #58
joecad

hi-point some first hand experience

i have had both...the 9 mm compensated and the carbine.
first the pistol....the barrel is fixed to the frame ....permantly...IMHO it gives it very surprising accuracy. the gun is not intended to be broken down like a 1911 or a ruger....you are just supposed to clean the barrel and the ejection port...at least thats what my manual said....now with the advent of polymer friendly cleaners like birchwood casey's poly cleaner you can go beyond the recomended basic cleaning without driving the roll pin from the pin to remove the slide or you can send it to them and they will fix what ever is wrong if anything and spruce it up....good people. i sold the pistol to one of my oldest and best friends.....he shot it all the time with me....he wanted it, i wanted to get a 45 so i sold it to him....he is still one of my best friends.
the carbine is a great little carbine... mine is plenty accurate....use it all the time to kill raccoons and possums trying to get in the hen house.....about 35 yards from the back deck....never have missed one shot kills all.

hi-point has great customer service....there guns are fairly accurate. the finish on the metal slide is one of the toughest i have seen...dropped it on concrete, gravel and rocks and stones.....not one chip....i wish i knew what they used.

if you are looking for a starter pistol or truck gun or a range or plinker...you can't go wrong with them. after break in i think they are ok for carry.....like to the barn or road just for insurance....i used to carry mine all the time and like i said after break in not one malfunction and i know that by the time i sold it that it had at the very least 2000 rounds thru it.
Old October 1, 2005, 11:14 AM   #59
Te Anau

Quote:
After several hours of attempting to remove the takedown pin, I sprayed it full of brake cleaner.
Or two minutes in my case.
Old October 9, 2005, 02:30 PM   #60
Sriracha

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member of this group, but have been lurking for some months.

I recently started grad school in Atlanta. Being on a student budget, I moved into a less-than-upscale neighborhood. After a rather frightening late-night experience, I decided to shop around for an 'adequate' gun that would be more effective than a baseball bat.

I bought the C-9, and my experiences with it closely match many of yours. On my first box of ammunition (Federal AE FMJ), I had two failures to feed -- both times were when I loaded the magazine with the full 8 rounds. After oiling the feed ramp and the 'lip' of the magazine, I haven't had this problem again. Nonetheless, I will store my Hi-Point at home with only 7 rounds of FMJ until I'm sure that the feed system is broken in.

Accuracy? As a novice shooter, this is hard to assess, but I'm pretty sure I can hit a bad guy at 15 ft range. Basically, I can shoot it as well as the Walther P1 that I was renting, but it's possible that my lower skill level will drown out the inherent accuracy of better guns.

Additional points:
1) There is too much play between the slide and the rest of the gun. The slide can deflect about 1/16" relative to the barrel -- this is of course a problem because the sights are on the slide. The main spring somehow keeps the slide pressed up in its top-most position, but I'm not 100% confident that the slide and sights will always return to the same position. In practice, the accuracy hasn't suffered much at 15', but it'd be nice if there wasn't so much wiggle-room.

2) The gun rattles. Part of this is due to (1). However, I took the gun apart and found that most of the sound comes from a sear counterweight that prevents the sear from letting go if the gun is dropped on its handle. The counterweight is supposed to dangle freely, and this rattle is not a mechanical problem.

3) I wish the rear sight was more robust. It is mounted on a plastic ramp, and can be pressed in and out like a spring. Again, no problems with accuracy so far, but it would be nice if the sight was immobile.

4) As mentioned before, stripping/disassembly is very difficult the first time -- you have to remove a friction-fit pin with a mallet and punch. It is much easier the second time.

In summary:
This is not a high-quality firearm, but it performs its main function adequately. If I could do it all over, I would carefully consider two alternatives that cost just a bit more: a Bulgarian Makarov and Keltec P-11.

- Sriracha
Old January 8, 2006, 08:47 PM   #61
OuTcAsT

I have owned the 9MM carbine for a couple of years, have fired more than 2000 rounds thru it with NO problems... 10 in 10 out. and it is as accurate as any weapon I own. Have recently purchased the .40 Pistol, have found it to be every bit as reliable as the carbine. would I depend on it as my primary weapon ? YES. HI-Point makes a product that far surpasses the expectations for a weapon of this price. It's GREAT to fnd a company that gives you real value for your money.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:21 AM   #62
CajunBass

They're like Zombie's.

Lock one Hi-Point thread, and another one comes back from the dead.

Old January 9, 2006, 10:34 AM   #63
JR47

Heaven help us, Jack Malloy must be raising them up!!!!

It's ANOTHER thread of satisfied customers!!!
Old January 9, 2006, 11:37 AM   #64
1inthechamber

I didn't even get a chance to reply to Jack's post. Guess I'll use this thread to do so.

I noticed he said that my gun was a jamamatic, but when he said he'll take up the offer of having a Hi-Point loaded and pointed at him then pull the trigger he mentioned he would want me to use either of the 2 HE used.

Hmmm...

I don't like to argue online, so I'll say that Jack 'wins'.

EDIT: By the way, I wouldn't shoot anyone. It was just sarcasm.

Last edited by 1inthechamber; January 9, 2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old January 9, 2006, 03:50 PM   #65
barnetmill

Carbine is a good buy

I just purchased in the last month a used 9 mm carbine. For the money it is a great deal. However, as a camping carbine it has one serious failing that no one has mentioned. The line of sight must be at least an inch and half higher than the bore. This will cause me to miss a snake's or squirrel's head unless you aim really high at close range. I may eventually buy some other type of carbine that has a more useful sighting alignment. Maybe in .357 sig when it becomes available in a carbine.

Another possible problem is that when I snug the stock firmly against my should, the stock flexes. I have not yet taken the gun to an ourdoor range and have only function fired in my 50 ft indoor range. God that russian that I am shooting smokes like a flare. I still do not know what type of groups I will get with this gun. Just picked up two extra clips. I wish the clips double column, but they work and 10 is enough, but not as much fun when locally sold russian is going for 4.88/ 50 rd box.

My dealer test fired the gun with mix commercial hollow point and it functioned without problem.

I am shooting blaser and steel case russian through the gun. There were initially a few failures to feed with the russian that I cured by lubing the gun. I still getting to know this gun and I think it will develope into a good friendship.
Old January 9, 2006, 05:08 PM   #66
1inthechamber

Lubing the gun. That's something I'll never forget to do. I didn't clean my gun before my failures, but with a good cleaning and better ammo, it's working just fine now.

I would like to get a 9mm carbine, but for now I'm still enjoying my C9.
Old January 10, 2006, 01:25 AM   #67
BADMAN400

Another satisfied Hi-Point owner....

I own three Hi-Point guns; A C-9 9mm, a JHP .45 ACP, and a .40 S&W Carbine, and I love 'em all! They all shoot flawlessly. I did have a minor problem with the 9mm at first. It started dropping the clip. I called MKS and they sent me a new clip spring, release button and retainer. It arrived 3 days later. In less than 10 minutes I installed the new parts and it has been a perfect gun. As far as accuracy, the .40 carbine is amazing! Ugly they may be, but they are reliable, and tough. I haven't regretted my Hi-Point purchases at all.

Hi-Point C-9 9mm
Hi-Point JHP .45 ACP
Hi-Point .40 S&W Carbine
Kel-Tec P32 .32 cal.
Taurus PT-145 .45 ACP
Beretta 9000S .40 S&W
Bond Arms Texas Defender .410/.45 LC
Mossberg 500A 12 GA
Iver Johnson .410
Old January 10, 2006, 09:51 AM   #68
mordis

well. im not sure how i got the last hi point thread locked, tho my post was the last one on it, all i said was i agreed with some of what jack said, but mentiond that the carbine was a fine weapon.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:23 AM   #69
Mal H
Staff

To set your mind at ease, mordis, it wasn't your post that got it locked. There's always got to be a "last one", but it is extremely rare for a single post to be the only reason for closing an established thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1inthechamber
I didn't even get a chance to reply to Jack's post. Guess I'll use this thread to do so.
Glad you didn't. If the "conversation" in that thread is continued here, a lock may not be the only consequence.
Old January 10, 2006, 11:13 AM   #70
mordis

LOL thanks mal. i feel better, Truthfull i feel that, those that hate hi points need to go out and buy one and shoot them. like i said i only have shot the carbine and loved it, i do plan on going and ordering the .45 with the optional laser sight. and ill right a indepth review when i get it. not like it will cost me much. MY only question to "those who know" is, if y ou have never shot or owned one, why continue to degrade those that do, and the firearms they chose to buy.
Old January 10, 2006, 01:00 PM   #71
JR47

Mal H, I'd suggest that you check out Mr. Malloy's comments in "Piece of Crap Guns" then. It appears that he's carried his exact same diatribe into that thread. There was little mention of the weapons prior to him and his zincammatic whine appearing, again.:barf: :barf: :barf:
Old January 10, 2006, 01:01 PM   #72
Toney

Did it get locked because two guys were talking about pointing there pistols at each other???
Old January 10, 2006, 04:02 PM   #73
1inthechamber

If it was closed because of my comments I apologize. To reiterate, it was meant as sarcasm and nothing serious. I would never shoot anyone much less point a gun at them. It was only meant as an example. Again I apologize if someone misunderstood my intentions.
Old January 10, 2006, 05:11 PM   #74
CajunBass

I have come to realize that you can't discuss something with someone who wants to argue. There is a difference.
Old January 11, 2006, 11:32 AM   #75
Te Anau

Quote:
I have come to realize that you can't discuss something with someone who wants to argue. There is a difference.
If I were a certain someone, I would have better things to do than try to convince others what a horrible choice they made when they clearly like their gun.I still dont love Glocks,but I havent sold my 21 yet.