The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old August 21, 2005, 08:45 AM   #1
Sum1_Special

BotachTactical.com is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with...

I have ordered a set of earplugs from these guys... Last month. Not only did they not have it in stock, but I had to ask them 2 weeks later before they finally told me it was on backorder. The ear plugs cost me $7, and I told them NOT to ship it UPS and charge me another $7, but rather USPS envelope for only $2... they blandly ignored me and charged me more for shipping than the item was worth. I anxiously waited for the plugs and when they finally arived, rather than coming in a case like they were supposed to, They were thrown in a ziplock bag.

I feel cheated, Should I file a complaint or demand a partial refund? What do you recommend I do about it?
Old August 21, 2005, 08:49 AM   #2
dasmi

Demand a full refund, and send them back.
Old August 21, 2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Sum1_Special

Sounds like a plan, but... I don't really want to spend even more money to return them. I am writing an email to them right now, Shall I request a full refund anyway?
Old August 21, 2005, 09:49 AM   #4
siotwo

Request the case....shipped on their dime. At least then you get your plugs and case for your $7x2
Old August 21, 2005, 03:47 PM   #5
HighVelocity

Sounds like you've been "Botached". This place has had a bad rep for a long time. Search any gun forum and you'll see that those guys are idiots.
Old August 21, 2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Botach is a great place for which to buy an expensive item on sale that you don't need within the next 6-12 months. Otherwise, they suck. If you don't need the item anytime soon, then they do have some great sale prices. I picked up 2 ACOGs at different times that were about $150-200 below what the rest of the competition was selling the same models for at the time. The first one came when expected. The second came 8 months after I ordered. It was still a bargain when it arrived, but I had already bought another. For my cost, it was still quite easy to sell off, but dealing with Botach was a real pain. The worst part really was that I had cancelled the order.
Old August 27, 2005, 11:45 AM   #7
alexbird692001

Me to

I also waws ripped off by this company. I ordered two Glock 30 mags and never recieved them. I called and stated such to the customer service rep, who said she would refund my paypal account which of course they never did. Well I wrote them about 10 e-mail and called still no money refund. This is going on 8 months. Never buy from them.. Joe
Old September 8, 2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Sum1_Special

Yep, emailed them demanding a partial refund on shipping and got...

"WE apologize for the experience that you had with us please let us know how can we make it up to you

thank you very much for your time

vilma Rios"

I told them again they can make it up to me with a refund yet, my bank statement came in today and no refund.

Where could I file a complaint with this company?
Old September 8, 2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Eghad

If you payed by credit card or paypal...

start there

file a complaint with the card company or paypal.......

NRA Life Member
Old September 11, 2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

It's funny (or maybe not), but I've dealt with Botach for several years now. At first, they were great. Fast service, good folks on the phone, good stuff, good prices. It seems like they did a 180 sudden like. Several months ago, I ordered a pair of Silencio Falcon electronic earmuffs, and I had to fight with them for over a month to get it (after my card was billed ). If you call them, you get an answering machine, and messages are NOT returned. They do NOT return e-mails. It was only after I told them I was refering this to the US Chamber of Commerce and the US Atty. General's office interstate fraud division (is there such a thing? ) that I got the muffs, with no apology. I'm thinking maybe they sold out to idiots?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 11, 2005, 06:45 PM   #11
MillCreek

My experience parallels the above poster. What happened to explain the changes, I wonder.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old September 22, 2005, 02:35 AM   #12
Samuel2001

Unfortunately, I had the pleasure to work fer these people long ago when they had good deals from their original pawn shop business.

Back then they had everything in stock and they bought large quantities of product to save $$. Now, they pre-sell stuff and once they have sold a few to make their order worth while, they go ahead and order from the mfgr. of distribuitor.

Unfortunately these people are filthy rich and they have no real respect to their customers. They will tell you that your product is on the way, and to call them if its not there in a couple of days and they just string you along!!!

This is not new to them either, since they have been doing it for at least 10 years that I know of.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old September 22, 2005, 11:34 AM   #13
MillCreek

This is really interesting. So it sounds as if they have reduced inventory, and inventory costs, to a minimum, by switching to a 'just-in-time' approach, whereby they order from the distributor after they receive a retail order.

This can work really well for the retail establishment in reducing inventory costs and freeing up cash flow, but if your distributor does not get the product to you quickly, and you do not send out the item quickly, this can lead to customer unhappiness.

I have to say that 'out of stock' is one of my personal pet peeves. When I think of all the times I have gone to my local REI looking for a specific item, only to find it out of stock. And often, I could have gotten the same item cheaper on the Net, but I either needed it right then or wanted to support my local business. If there was only some way to to a real-time inventory check before you left the house....

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old October 14, 2005, 10:32 AM   #14
crazyXgerman

interesting thread.

i ordered two weapon lights (m2 and m2 streamlight) from botach less than a year ago, before i knew about their bad reputation (botach, not streamlight ). i got the two lights for a little more than what i would have paid for one at a regular place, awesome deal. i got the lights in less than two weeks, no problems whatsoever.

then i started to hear about people's bad experiences with them and was somewhat surprised.

a couple of months ago i was looking for a number of items and they were the only ones who had every single item listed. i was in no hurry so i decided to try my luck with them again. this time i received an email the very next day informing me that all but one or two items were out of stock. i replied that in this case i'd prefer to cancel the order, which they did and confirmed via email. my credit card never got charged.

while i didn't go through with the order, again i was satisfied with how they handled it.

sorry to hear about everybody's bad experience. guess i will not be trying my luck with them again.
Old October 14, 2005, 11:45 AM   #15
Bravo25

Quote:
sorry to hear about everybody's bad experience. guess i will not be trying my luck with them again.
This was the experience Ihad with them at first. Then it started going down hill. Now after reading on several different types of forums these post, I have decided not to reorder from them.

Perhaps one day I will collect links to all of these threads, and email them to the company. Do you think it would help?

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old October 14, 2005, 04:31 PM   #16
Sum1_Special

Been a long time... And I still haven't gotten a response from, despite reporting them to the better Business Bureau(who, in my opinion, are beyond worthless) and sending them half a dozen emails and calling them twice. Eh, I guess I learned "build a bridge and get over it".

I guess it's too late to threaten to report them to the US Chamber of Commerce and the US Atty. General's Office Interstate Fraud Division, eh?

Anyway, this thread is getting interesting, it is turning into the Botach-Tactical-screwed-me thread. I am surprised somebody hasn't taken them to court yet.
Old October 28, 2005, 10:31 AM   #17
Beren@THR

FWIW, I never use Paypal. I use a credit card where I know the card company will back me up on disputing charges if the seller screws around with me. That would add some leverage.
Old November 7, 2005, 01:07 AM   #18
Langenator

I ordered a Surefire 918FA (9V forearm for the Rem 870) from some them something like 2 years ago. This was right at the time that Surefire was cutting off web retailers who were undercutting their MSRP.

They billed my credit card, and, after repeated inquiries as to why my light hadn't been delivered got nothing but "It's been held up by the supplier (Surefire, which was actually true)" I had to report them to my credit card company to get the charge removed.

Selling stuff you don't actually have unless you've got a firm commitment to get the item(s) at a certain price is bad business.
his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our
own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of
their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis

Happiness is a belt fed weapon. -unknown
Old November 9, 2005, 08:56 PM   #19
thomasanelson

I just deleted them from my favorites! Enough said!
Old December 12, 2005, 02:31 PM   #20
Ian2005

BoTach

I can't believe this place is even still in business. I only kept my order because I couldn't seem to find another pair of Silencio electronic earmuffs in Black for the same $56 price. But boy did I pay for it time and trouble wise. I even initially paid extra for 2 day shipping, but it was sent out over a week later & I spent days trying to speak with someone and one day I finally reached a thick-accented hispanic lady who did help me but OMG.. What a nightmare.

Also those green/yellow earplugs arn't worth a crap. I think there's some vendor's here who are trying to pump them as I bought into it and it also was without a doubt the worst $8 I ever spent.

-Nuff Said.
Old December 12, 2005, 07:50 PM   #21
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Also those green/yellow earplugs arn't worth a crap. I think there's some vendor's here who are trying to pump them as I bought into it and it also was without a doubt the worst $8 I ever spent.
The military issues them for combat use. When I was in Iraq, I stuffed a regular earplug in my door-side ear and kept the other one free to hear the radio, my LT, the others in the truck, etc. I decided to use the "combat earplugs" last week at a convoy live-fire range. I was acting as a safety and sitting on top of one of our gun trucks making sure the SAW gunner up there stayed within the range limits. From about four or five feet away, I was deafened by the first burst from the SAW. I recoiled in pain so badly I almost fell off the roof of the damn truck. Those things are junk. I'm thinking of getting some of those electronic ear plugs from Walker when I go for "the IZinterrogator Sandbox Tour Part II" (actually Part V if you count Kuwait rotations before OIF happened).
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old January 9, 2006, 08:06 PM   #22
Blackwater OPS

I wish I had seen this thread BEFORE I got ripped off by these people. Oh well, at least now its gets bumped and maybe someone else will be spared he experience of dealing with these people.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 9, 2006, 09:14 PM   #23
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Send 'em an e-mail with a link to this thread .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 10, 2006, 06:49 AM   #24
Blackwater OPS

Heheh, just sent it to the service rep I dealt with, think they have the guts to post a defense?
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 10, 2006, 04:01 PM   #25
VUPDblue

Botach sucks. Slow shipping (if ever). Please, I beg of you all... DO NOT DEAL WITH BOTACH TACTICAL EVER!!!