The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2005, 01:42 AM   #1
kcoop9999

Has anyone heard of this round?

Hi! New to this forum, but it looks like a great place! Maybe someone here has heard of this round? .358 LAM Obviously a wildcat, I've put feelers out on the other forums I frequent, but haven't found any info yet.
Thanks in advance for any help,see you again soon!
Coop
Old August 21, 2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Smokey Joe

.358 What????

First of all, Kcoop999--Welcome to TFL! Glad to have you aboard!

Re your cartridge--Where did you hear of this one? My sources don't list it as such. Might it have an alternate name? Do you have an example in hand?

--Smokey Joe
Old August 21, 2005, 02:36 PM   #3
kcoop9999

4 Joe-- Have been reloading for a little over 20 years.
As for the .358 LAM- bought dies on E-Bay, will probably have to do a quick casting to get dimensions, as no-one seems to heave heard of this round.
It'll probably turn out to be a HUGE Mag. that shoots a# of powder and kicks enough to kill the target,lol!!
Old August 21, 2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Hmmmm

Re the .358 LAM--Must be some one-of-a-kind (or nearly so) wildcat. I take it that you don't have a firearm, just the dies?

Somebody must have made one, at least once! A neat discovery! Huge magnum, eh? Mebbe somebody trying to out-Weatherby Weatherby. Pictures of the cast of the die would be interesting when/if you could post those.

I for one am glad you shared. Hope someone turns up some info on the cartridge.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 21, 2005, 07:36 PM   #5
kcoop9999

.284 Weatherby

A few months back I found reference to a cartridge called .284 Weatherby Magnum .The guys at www.ammoguide.com thought maybe it was an altered case, like a 7mm-.300 wm. After a little research, the folks a weatherby collectors set me right. The .284 WM was a one of a kind factory round. It was produced in ONE rifle. A highly customized MarkV. If interested, I can send you the pictures they provided. They're pretty interesting, to say the least!
Old August 26, 2005, 01:36 PM   #6
BILLY D.

hi coop

i found a reference to a 338 lma, lapua magnum ackley, in a varmint hunter magazine. it was also called the 338 lapua ackley magnum improved, ie: lapua ackley magnum, lam, sound familiar?

these cartridges were designed for loooooooooong range target work. i would suggest you write or type to different magazines such as varmint hunter and precision shooting to see if you can glean any info from them.

the ackley identification has been used on a lot of rounds that ackley never worked with. gun cranks simply put a 40degree shoulder on a case and called it an ackley. ackley improved cases typically hold 5 to 10 percent more grains of powder, some more, some less. the 223 only holds about 3 grains more, but the beautiful part of the ackley improved is the parent cartridge is straightened to a non taper case and the 40degree shoulder slows case stretching. cases last a long time.

hope you can find something in your qwest.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old August 26, 2005, 06:55 PM   #7
saands

My version of QuickLoad lists a .358 Lee Magnum ... pop 40 degree shoulders on that and it would be a .358 LAM as well ... the non-Ackley version holds 82 grains of H1000 so that kinda fits the description ...

Saands
Old August 26, 2005, 09:12 PM   #8
kcoop9999

.358 L.a.m.

Got the dies yesterday and after looking closely- they seem to maybe go to a pisol round of some type. Inside Dia. at base is .459 There seems to be a very slight shoulder at a depth of 1.639 in. Obviously not a real big cartridge. Will have to do casting tomorrow to get better measurements. Contacted RCBS and all they could tell me was that they were made in 1959? Seems thier master die man at that time has been long since retired, and he kept most of these kinds of details in his head, instead of written records.
Old August 26, 2005, 10:06 PM   #9
Smokey Joe

There's a lesson hiding in here someplace!

And that lesson is: WRITE IT DOWN!!! Keep written records of any sort of thing you might have to refer back to.

I'm surprised that even back in '59, a company like RCBS would let an employee just walk away with all that data in his head, and noplace else.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 27, 2005, 12:51 AM   #10
BILLY D.

one other suggestion is to contact all the reamer providers and ask them. if there are dies somebody had to make a chamber reamer.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old August 28, 2005, 12:50 AM   #11
kcoop9999

Good idea Billy! That hadn't dawned on me yet, but the I'm kinda ssllooowwww sometimes. When all else fails, try the obvious,lol!
Old August 29, 2005, 10:42 AM   #12
BILLY D.

Sometimes We Don't See The Forest For The Trees. :d

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER