The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 2, 2000, 10:23 PM   #1
Spirex288

Assuming that you can no longer pay for Beretta 92FS hi-cap mags at reasonable prices, which company would be the best for reliable and functional 15rd mags?
Old January 3, 2000, 05:41 PM   #2
G. Kennedy

What to you is a reasonable price for mags?
Other than Beretta, Mec-Gar is the best. They are who make the Italian manufactured Beretta Mags.

Best price I've seen advertised lately is $49.99 for like new Beretta mags from AJAX(They advertise in Shotgun News). Best thing to do is peruse your local gunshops and gunshows and keep an eye out for Beretta or Mec-Gar mags.

Other than that you can get USA or ProMag which either work or they don't. I've found in my experience and from others that many times you can tweak these mags to make them work. I have some USA's that I used to use and the ones that didn't work USA fixed or replaced them.

If possible get Beretta's or Mec-Gars.......

[This message has been edited by G. Kennedy (edited January 03, 2000).]
Old January 4, 2000, 10:15 AM   #3
Jeff Thomas

Does Mec-Gar have a web site that you know of?
Old January 4, 2000, 11:14 PM   #4
Ldoll

Mec-Gars website is www.mec-gar.it
The page is still under construction but you can fill out a on-line form for a catalog. Here is another website that sells numerous brands of mags for handguns and rifles among other things.

www.ajaxgrips.com

[This message has been edited by Ldoll (edited January 04, 2000).]
Old January 5, 2000, 01:38 AM   #5
Rob Pincus

I can wholeheartedly second the recomendation for Mec-Gar, they make great aftermarket mags for the Beretta (and Taurus!).
Old January 6, 2000, 12:42 PM   #6
Nakano

Mec Gar for sure. They are at least one of the largest manufacturers for quite a few gun companies, including Beretta. A few years before Pachmayr was sold to the Lyman company, they offered high caps under their name and included an already installed rubber bumper on the mag plate. These, along with quite a few others were in fact made by Mec Gar of Italy. Look for the "made in Italy" stamp at shows or dealers shelves. The current and almost deleted Pachmayr mags of 10 round capacity are of another US manufacture. I believe it is either Pro Mag or USA. All of the 10 rounders for Beretta, Sig, and Taurus that I' ve used extensively are totally reliable.