The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1
vhince524

cz...torture tested?

just curious guys... has anyone ever tried torture testing the cz75 line of pistols? like the tests the glocks, sigs and berettas were subjected to.... does anyone have any info about this?..... any info would be great. i wanna know the level of durability and reliability of the often uderrated cz....
Old August 8, 2005, 02:39 AM   #2
chris in va

I can tell you the CZ P01 is NATO certified, and I believe it's the only pistol that has that designation. I think.
Old August 8, 2005, 04:25 AM   #3
vhince524

Quote:
I can tell you the CZ P01 is NATO certified, and I believe it's the only pistol that has that designation. I think.
what do you mean by NATO certified? what are the "requirements" that a gun must satisfy to get such a certification?
Old August 8, 2005, 07:03 AM   #4
johnbt

www.cz-usa.com/07.01.php?msgid=37

"CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols
2003-02-01 09:24:31

The P-01 is now a NATO classified pistol and issued the NATO stock number NSN 1005-16-000-8619."

There are testing details in the press release.

I figure the CZ-75's reputation after 30 years of worldwide use is torture test enough.

John
Old August 8, 2005, 08:55 AM   #5
Eric Larsen

Id have to agree.......with NATO beating the **** out of the Alloy Framed Decocker, which in both cases isnt as strong as the steel framed w/safety.
Thats good enough for me.......they didnt use any unobtanium parts on the PO1. Just std CZ stuff.
Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old August 8, 2005, 11:22 AM   #6
briang2ad

Durability

I have had three P01s - the last two are replacements. The first one broke the trigger spring after about 200 rounds of ammo, and several hundred dry fires with snap caps (I was trying to break in the gritty trigger). The second one broke the trigger spring after several hundred dry fires w/caps and no ammo through it. My current one has had some problems decocking. All three have had gritty triggers - too gritty for a quality firearm. This is anecdotal - not a systematic study of the manufacturing issues with this weapon. But, IMHO, CZ has some QC issues with the P01.

If you check the NATO tests, you'll find that I was WAY under the durability limit of the P01 when my springs broke. And, while this is anecdotal, I find it problematic.

I will draw some heat from my CZ brethren here, but I maintain that if you go to a series of shows, and pull the trigger on some CZs, you will find that the P01 is worse off than the full size pistols. My PreB and 40/75B have glass like DA pulls. Try it - I could be wrong.

BUT.... I like CZs in general. And after enough rounds to smooth the trigger, and if it holds up, my p01 may turn out to be a great pistol. I may still have to go back the the service dept. for the decocker...
Old August 8, 2005, 11:51 AM   #7
BatmanX

unlucky....

Well, are you using snap caps?
Or the things that came with it?
The ones that came with it are only good for about 2-3 pulls.

Although I agree the trigger is gritty, it smooths out.
Just go put real rounds through it!

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR
Old August 8, 2005, 02:42 PM   #8
briang2ad

A-zoom

I only use Azoom in my P01 - the P01 chews up other snap caps readily. Believe it or not, the 40 75B uses the CZ plastic caps quite easily.

I have heard of folks getting the P01 trigger smoothed only after 3000 rounds. I have just fired 300+, and have dry fired many times. It is still gritty. This is my experience with the other two also - although the first one was the best - too bad CZ marred it when fixing the trigger spring...
Old August 8, 2005, 02:47 PM   #9
chris in va

My 40P trigger (p01 lower) is definitely a LOT rougher than my 75. Not sure why that is, seems like they would use the same mechanism.