The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 27, 2005, 04:15 PM   #1
XavierBreath

Savage 87A questions........

I recently came into a Savage 87A .22 rifle. The rifle has no serial number (and no place looking like it was removed) and is complete. It shoots well. I am wondering about when these rifles were made, and an approximate value. I cannot seem to find it in any reference books. I figure it's worth about $75 just because it's a decent shooter. After taking it apart for a clean-up, I can say it is certainly made better than my old Mossberg 152! Any info?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ports.jpg (30.9 KB, 5620 views)
File Type: jpg patents.jpg (49.7 KB, 5532 views)
File Type: jpg sight.jpg (38.4 KB, 5525 views)
Old July 27, 2005, 08:54 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The Savage 87A was one of a whole series of very similar rifles made under the Savage, Stevens, and Springfield names.
These included the:
6A-6AB-6B
87A-87AB-87B-87AT-76A

There was also a box magazine version made under the Stevens name in models:
85E-85KE.

Most of these were made before serial numbers were federally required, and as such, never had serials.

Parts are still available from Gun Parts Corporation.
Old July 28, 2005, 01:23 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

You made me want to dig mine out

Mine's a Stevens-Springfield Model 87 - - different name, but exactly the same as your rifle. My Dad bought it new at the W. W. Guest Hardware Store (his uncle's place) in Ryan, Oklahoma many years past. My first shots with a firearm were with that rifle.

I'd also be glad to learn when the type was first offered. My parents used to joke about doing much of their "courting" over a hot .22, shooting jack rabbits in my Uncle Fred's pastures. I've always assumed this could be the rifle, but it could have been an earlier one. I kinda hope the model was introduced in before 1942.

When Dad died early -- I was 17 -- my Mom kept it for a while and then gave it to me. I had my own .22s, rifle and pistol, by that time, and I kinda neglected the old rifle. I used to get it out from time to time, but haven't shot it now in probably ten years.

One interesting item about the type - - By pressing the bolt knob in, the action is locked, and it can function as a more-or-less bolt action, for training purposes.

Hope your 87 serves your family as long and as well as mine has served ours.

Best,
Johnny
Old July 28, 2005, 01:18 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The original gun had a tube magazine and was introduced as the Savage Model 6 in 1938. The otherwise identical gun with a box magazine was introduced as the Savage Model 7 in 1939. I don't know when the various later versions were introduced. They were made under all three Savage names (Savage, Springfield, Stevens) in a rather bewildering number of models and variations. The same design was later used by Mossberg, though I have no idea why when their own semi-auto design was better.

When they work, they are OK. When they don't, trying to fix them is an exercise in frustration.

Jim
Old November 21, 2005, 08:42 PM   #5
chuckfoo

western field model 59

I think my western field model 59 is also a savage 87, am i correct? I think it was bought in the late '30s.
Old November 21, 2005, 09:08 PM   #6
joab

I can't find any mention of an 87 either but my books put the 6A at about $150 in mint condition
They were made from 1938 to 68

I paid $10 for my 6A about 25 years ago and wouldn't sell it at the high price even though it is far from mint
Old November 21, 2005, 09:14 PM   #7
joab

Found it

It was originally marketed as model 87 under the Springfield branduntil '48 and later under Stevens

The 2000 edition of the Gun Traders Guide calls it a $150 gun in mint condition
Old November 22, 2005, 01:36 PM   #8
venn1976

I also have one of those rifles, and you are right they are a fine shooter. I've done some research on these rifles and i have found that they called them a fox gun. The only price i could find was somewhere around 50$, but for 50$ you can't really beat them. Happy shooting!