The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 26, 2005, 02:27 AM   #26
Mad Cow

I would try to do the same as Spoon2001 BB guns can be vary dangerous.

Site slow to load
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in652543.shtml
Old July 26, 2005, 02:45 AM   #27
USSF

Extreme case, but there are 50 caliber air guns out there that shoot 275 gr. pellets around 700+ fps. Pretty powerful airgun. lol
Old July 26, 2005, 03:12 AM   #28
GunnyBob

Tongue into cheek mode. Dangerous indeed. Aren't bb's used to calibrate ballistic gelatin, and don't they penetrate somewhere along the lines of 4"...

4" is nothing to sneeze at. Head on, hit upper COM, ballistic tests would appear to indicate a potential one shot stop.
Old July 26, 2005, 09:04 AM   #29
Got Lead?

Quote:
No offense to the OP but sometimes I don't know whether some of these scenarios are meant to be jokes or serious.
Neither of both It was just a random thought that slipped down to my fingers during some down time at work.
Old July 26, 2005, 09:14 AM   #30
Got Lead?

Quote:
Quote:
What do you do if someone has a bb gun trained on you or already fired shots? You know its a bb gun because of the report, profile, and/or prior knowledge.
Be careful about judging a firearm by its report. Auditory exclusion may fool you. And then, there are always silenced weapons...

Furthermore, there are "bb guns" out there that are virtually identical to well-known firearms. Some that take actual handling or very close examination to make sure.

Just saying that you could end up dead by second-guessing the situation when immediate action was called for.
Just using it to build the scene. You just know its a bb gun.
Old July 26, 2005, 09:32 AM   #31
Clayfish

don't forget the .17 hmr. there are lot's of pistols chambered for it and they can be mistaken for a bb gun... untill they go off. And there is the super colobri .22 ammo that sounds just like a bb gun. It uses just the primer to shoot a 20 grain bullet at 800 fps. Hey, i'd protect my self whatever way I had too and if they were an adult they would be shot.
Old July 26, 2005, 10:05 AM   #32
Superhornet

Bang, bang........sorry, I did not know it was just a BB gun.
Old July 26, 2005, 10:43 AM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

If you search a medical database you can come up with lots of bad things from airguns. Thus, if someone was shooting at you with truly malicious intent, and they weren't a young child, you could probably justify a lethal reply.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old July 26, 2005, 07:20 PM   #34
joab

Quote:
you could probably justify a lethal reply.
Could you justify it to yourself.

As GotLead stated you know that it's a BB gun, not some subcaliber firearm or super lethal air gun or airgun lookalike real gun
Just a simple ordinary run of the mill BB gun capable of inflicting serious irritation at best.

Could you shoot, even though with the proper lies in the proper tone you could get away with it
Old July 26, 2005, 09:31 PM   #35
Rich636

Counter attack with Potato Gun. I would start with some new red potatos and switch to Russets or Idahos depending if the threat level escalated.
Old July 28, 2005, 10:49 AM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Justify it to yourself? That's your problem. If someone over the age of a small child is repeated shooting a BB gun at you with malicious intent, of course you can flee and take rounds in the back, butt and back of the head, etc. You can duke it out.

You have the whole force continuum. If you think it will do grievous bodily harm as such guns have done - decide what to do.

Most people don't die of gunshots anyway if they get to a trauma center.
Being an Active Shooter
Old July 28, 2005, 05:36 PM   #37
joab

Quote:
Justify it to yourself? That's your problem.
No, actually that's my question to you.
I already know that I could not justify shooting someone with a BB gun, so I wouldn't do it.

My question was to all the people here who seem to be trying to think of a good excuse to shoot someone with a BB gun.

Do you honestly think that you could justify using deadly force against someone with a BB gun.

Notice I said justify not rationalize
Old July 28, 2005, 10:20 PM   #38
3 weelin geezer

Hey, joab. I have a better taunt. lets see if I can type it to sound right: Ok, here goes...Kzehna, kzehna..pauteetah paula gehnah. and dance around like a football player after a touch down slapping my butt and grabbing my junk like michael jackson on stage.

I say if you just know its a bb gun, what the hell are you just standing around for? Get some police backup to confront him and haul him to jail instead of you. I also have to disagree that bb guns dont hurt/injure. Just because they use air to send that pellet down the barrel is not important. Therefore, lethal force should be allowed in some situations. If you don't shoot, you can always say 'i'm sorry'. My .22 daisy air rifle can take out a bird's head at 60 yds or so with pinpoint accuracy in the hands of my brother just as easy as a .22lr. I have taken a couple of feral cats with it myself.
Old July 29, 2005, 09:03 AM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Joab.

Justify - if one knows what they are talking about, the justification of the use of deadly force is the prevention of grievous bodily harm.

If one knows what they are talking about, one can find that BB guns, varying in type, are capable of producing serious injuries. Search the medical literature - it is easy to do at the library.

Thus, if someone is shooting at you maliciously with a BB gun, you have justification. If you choose another strategy, that is your decision.

In any situation, avoidance is better than gun fire - however, if it comes down to you being hit with the BBs, then you have justification.

That is simple enough to understand. The comment that folks want an excuse to shoot someone is rather stupid, BTW. That's your projection and attempt at cheap rhetoric.
Being an Active Shooter

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; July 29, 2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old July 29, 2005, 09:31 AM   #40
XavierBreath

In the last BB gun thread... I cited several cases where the use of a BB gun resulted in charges of assault with a deadly weapon.

Link #1 Link #2

Now....... if the BB gun is legally a "deadly weapon", then is not deadly force legally justified when faced with someone who is maliciously employing it?
Old July 29, 2005, 02:34 PM   #41
joab

Quote:
The comment that folks want an excuse to shoot someone is rather stupid, BTW. That's your projection and attempt at cheap rhetoric.
Quote:
however, if it comes down to you being hit with the BBs, then you have justification.
I'm stupid but your the one trying to rationalize shooting someone over a BB gun.

BTW if you are incapable of carrying on a conversation without resorting to THR name calling don't bother to respond.
Old July 29, 2005, 02:38 PM   #42
spacemanspiff

pshawwww! two words: Slide Lock.

i think its my turn to come up with an absurd tactics thread.
Old July 29, 2005, 02:59 PM   #43
Para Bellum

B
Quote:
B gun huh? Frankly, I'd be so damned mad that I'd cover my face, advance, engage physically, and put that gun where the sun don't shine!
exactly. Protect your eyes, close in and kick his shin (or whatever). That should do. I can't imagine drawing a firearm against anything that can't be lethal. Don't even think about it.

Quote:
I would try to do the same as Spoon2001 BB guns can be vary dangerous.
An empty hand is way more dangerous than a hand with a BB gun.

Last edited by Para Bellum; July 29, 2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old July 29, 2005, 03:32 PM   #44
Whitefalls

I dont know that I'd immediately gun the sucker down... kinda depends on the situation, but I'd hardly say a BB gun can't be lethal... not to mention advancing on the person only makes the BB gun even more dangerous to you.

I'd prefer to just get away from them and have him arrested for assault with a deadly weapon... or wait until he is reloading his bb gun and beat the tar out of him.
Old July 29, 2005, 03:42 PM   #45
k_dawg

I am not an expert on "bb guns". If it looks remotely like an actual gun, I would treat it like one. That is what LEO's do as well.
Old July 29, 2005, 04:31 PM   #46
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I wouldn't suggest going hand to hand as then the dude can just take the Daisy rifle and club you right in your head.

If I were shooting BBs at you (for whatever reason) and then you wanted to duke it out - you are going to get quite the beating.

Flee in terror if you must but you are actually moving up the force continuum if you make it a physical fight.

As far as you Joab, report this thread to the list gods. You said we wanted to have an excuse to shoot people. I still regard that as you trolling and responded appropriately.

It's clear that you don't understand the word 'rationalize' or the efficacy of some airguns. It has been pointed out that airguns or BB guns can be dangerous and if used maliciously they can produce grievous bodily harm.

So respond to that beyond saying "BB gun" again.

I'll do a scenario:

You and your wife are walking down a hiking trail. Two 17 year oldish boys start following and harassing you. They both have Daisy air guns. They started repeatedly shooting at you despite your pleas to stop. You have already taken a BB in the throat and in the cheek near your eye. Your wife has been shot twice in her butt. They have guns that hold tens of BBs. You are rather old to just run or duke it out. The guns outrange your OC spray. The police are 10 minutes away for your cell phone call.

Your move, tiger.
Being an Active Shooter
Old July 29, 2005, 11:05 PM   #47
joab

Quote:
As far as you Joab, report this thread to the list gods. You said we wanted to have an excuse to shoot people. I still regard that as you trolling and responded appropriately.
I see Glen, I ask a uncomfortable question that you can't answer so you call me a stupid troll and make up some asinine scenario to justify your blood lust.

Here's one for you to rationalize away Deadly egg thrower meets street justice You don't own a red Ford PU do you?.

Quote:
You said we wanted to have an excuse to shoot people
My question was directed to those that seem to be looking for an excuse, I guess you feel you fit into that category, or you just don't read as well as you catcall. Or possibly you just like inane confrontations
Quote:
My question was to all the people here who seem to be trying to think of a good excuse to shoot someone with a BB gun.
Since I don't come here to get into inane little name calling and it is obvious that you are indeed incapable of doing otherwise I'll just put you on the ignore list
Old July 29, 2005, 11:17 PM   #48
3 weelin geezer

Don't shotguns use 'bb' size pellets too? Or is it just the launcher that everyone is concerned with (shotgun vs bb gun )
?
Old July 30, 2005, 02:40 PM   #49
Whitefalls

Your comparing a BB gun to eggs is what I find odd... since a BB gun is considered a deadly weapon and an egg is not. If the kid was throwing BBs at me I wouldn't have a problem... and if the eggs were being shot out of a gun it would be a bit different than throwing them. I'm just amazed that you compare kids throwing eggs to kids shooting weapons.

I guess you don't care about all the links that have been posted where BB guns killed people.
Old July 30, 2005, 03:14 PM   #50
joab

Quote:
I guess you don't care about all the links that have been posted where BB guns killed people.
Between 1990 and 2000, air guns caused an average of four deaths annually, mostly to children younger than 15. Hardly an epidemic

Quote:
Your comparing a BB gun to eggs is what I find odd
I did not compare BBs to eggs, I compared eggs thrown at moving vehicles to BBs being shot at you.

I was hit in the face once by a wadded up piece of paper thrown from a school bus and almost took out the next lane of traffic, the kid was charged with throwing a missile at occupied vehicle, a felony.

Since they are both considered felonious assaults why is there a problem with the analogy
Closed Thread